Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

Novice FSX navigation queries

I'm gradually getting the hang of things since installing FSX recently. But I'm accumulating some basic points to which I've so far not found the answers. I'll keep it to handful for a start!;)1) Can I switch off the flashing white-on-red 'SIMULATION PAUSED...' message to take a screenshot, or must I just try to catch it when it's off?2) With the same aim, is there a quick way to toggle the cockpit on/off, i.e. from the F9 or F10 view, so I have a completely unrestricted view?3) When I use '+' or '-' to zoom in or out can I switch off the 'inertial' effect at the start/end, i.e. so that the view can be controlled precisely? (And alter the speed of zooming permanently, apart from using the Shift or Ctl key supplements? At present it seems far too fast without using Shift.)4) In Views, what does 'Outside Locked Spot' mean, as distinct from 'Outside Spot'? IOW, how does it become 'locked'?5) Because my main FSX usage will support my walking and mapping interests, I have bought and installed the Horizon VFR UK scenery, and installed it at its full detail level (1.2m/pixel). My initial experience indicates that it shows a less detailed view than Google Earth. Is that to be expected please?6) I discovered that Shift+Z cycles through various status messages, including one showing current Lat/Long. But is there a quick way to get that onto the Windows Clipboard? (I could then locate it in Memory Map or Google Earth.)7) I'm currently spending most of my time out of control. Is there a "beginner's way out" - a click (or hotkey) or two that will restore level flying?All help gratefully received thanks.-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest phar2rekliss

im having some issues with my first flights in FSX too. From what I learned if you want to level out your flying, Use Crtl + keypad5 keys to center ailerons and rudders. although when I tried this out my game kept changing the tail view to looking down view and mess up my game and never level out the flaps and rudders. then I have to use shift + del to reset the view back to tail view.hope this key command helps you to level out your plane like your asking.

I believe there is a cfg entry to switch off the message, but I don't know what it is. The message is only there half the time, and in practice it's pretty easy to get the capture during the blank phase. Plus, with the sim paused, you can afford to take your time. ;)'Locked' simply means the camera position doesn't move about as you turn the aircraft. It's also much more controllable than the regular spot view.Google often has resolutions of 60cm per pixel or better, so in those situations, it will be of higher resolution than GenX. But it's very variable. Go to Wales, for instance, and the situation is reversed, with Google providing a very low res image.Try using the autopilot: You can set altitudes, headings etc, and not worry about flying the plane...

2) Try the w key4) Locked spot, at least the way I have it set up, means when you pan around the acft the view doesn't lag behind. 7) go to the Realism tab (under aircraft menu maybe??) and set it all to easy (not realistic)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks all, appreciate the help.phar2rekliss: Not sure exactly what's happening, but got erratic results with Ctl+F5. (Don't see that in the list of keyboard commands? Nor Shift+Del.)Tim: Understood, thanks. I see what you mean about GE. Mind you, most of UK now seems excellent high res.Re the CFG files, a search found over 800! Reckon I'll leave them alone.I'm using autopilot etc, but it's when trying to reach a new location to take screenshots of the scenery that I end up in trouble!ryanbatcund: Thanks, very helpful. Especially that 'w' key.Already at Easy! Is the Locked Spot fixed, or can I change it?-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest jshyluk

Terry, you might wish to check out FSXPilot, which is what I call a "universal autopilot". It's a device that allows you to fly your aircraft precisely, but using very simple controls. It's what I would consider shareware, in that you are supposed to pay for the full product, but in reality (or at least the last time I checked), you can download and use the add-on for free, only a few of the functions are disabled if you don't pay for them.Here is my review of FSXPilot in AVSIM:http://www.avsim.com/pages/1106/FSPilot/FSPilot.htmHere is the website:http://www.fsxpilot.com/Go to the DOWNLOAD page to get your free copy. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Thanks both, I'll follow up on those suggestions tomorrow.Klas: One downside of the wireless keyboard on my new PC that I've just become aware of is that there's no Numlock LED (presumably a battery issue), so I'm never sure whether it's on or off ;(-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry,Find and bookmark your "user"Applications DataFSX folder because that's where the Camera.cfg and FSX config files are and if you want to modify things you can't avoid going to these files. Always backup before changing things.Toggle messages, NO. but disable optionally in the FSX config file:InfoBrakesEnable=TrueInfoParkingBrakesEnable=TrueInfoPauseEnable=True // <---- make False to disableInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=False----------Cameras have some Zoom parameters:AllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1.0SmoothZoomTime = 2.0 // 0.0 makes it instantaneousedit any camera definition SmoothZoomTime that you need to change.-----------Spot and Locked Spot are different Cameras. There is no lag in Panning the Locked Spot; there is in Spot. I only use Locked Spot anyway.-----------The control you need for setting up screenshots is probably not ZOOM so much as CHASE DISTANCE - set with CONTROL+PLUS/MINUS and fine tune with ZOOM if needed.-----------Easiest way to recover from an "improper attitude" is"Y" key for slew mode - outside view if not the current view.Control + Spacebar to re-establish LEVEL attitude and direction NORTH.Rotate the direction to restore your desired heading."Y" key to exit slew mode; resume flying.------------There may be some utilities that allow you to capture the Lat/Lon but I usually just copy-paste from the text boxes in the Map Mode when I need the information elsewhere------------Loyd

Lloyd,Great post, very helpful, thanks a lot. So much to learn!-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

>Find and bookmark your "user"Applications DataFSX folder>because that's where the Camera.cfg and FSX config files are>and if you want to modify things you can't avoid going to>these files. Always backup before changing things.Lloyd,I found another scenery file, in C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator Xscenery.cfgstarting[General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=TRUE[Area.001]Title=Default TerrainTexture_ID=1Local=SceneryWorldLayer=1Active=TRUERequired=TRUEetcWhy does that exist please, as well as C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSXScenery.CFG ?-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK