Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mace

The "texture discussion" a must read

I just finished reading a very informative post on textures that I feel everyone should read. First my hat goes off to Michael from FS-GS who started the thread for opening the eyes of the flight sim community. This is a very sensitive area to be discussing as it affects everyone who purchases add-on's to enhance there sim.I learned a lot from that thread in terms or where the developers stand, and what there perception is of the customer. It clarified many things for me with regards to textures and performance issues.From what I gathered from the thread, people who design add-on's for the community , for the most part ,learn this on there own and come up with a technique that may not be as efficient or as good as the other guys. So, if they shared the best techniques or if I may call them , trade secrets, we would start seeing more things hitting the market consistently better in terms of performance , looks etc . which would make for a better product overall...or there could be a standard that everyone could follow for designing textures etc.IMOO, I don't think anyone would be willing to share or teach someone else there trade secrets that they have refined over several years, and pass them off to someone else. At least from a business stand point.But the question still remains. Why do some aircraft developers design in native FSX code and others don't, but claim they have developed it from the ground up? Now after reading that thread, I have more of an understanding why my FSX grinds to a halt after I install my $90 aircraft which many other users have posted about.I guess as a community we could come forward and ask why this is like it is, but knowledge is power, and for me, I feel they have the ability to chop down anything in there path when it would come to a discussion like this. So I'll probably still sit in the shadows but will be armed with more knowledge for any future purchases.I would suggest that anyone who purchases after market add-on's to read this thread so you can understand more in terms of what goes on in your sim and the market place and come more too terms why your flight sim acts the way it does.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=447434&page=

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As one of the principal contributors to that very long thread, I too thank Michael for asking cogent questions. I do hope that I managed to inform everyone who reads it the "whys and wherefores" of model drawcall and texture optimization, and how they relate to improved performance in sim.As for "secret knowledge," for the most part that simply doesn't really exist. Every technique I use is (mostly) outlined in the FSX SDKs. ;)

There was some good discussion in that thread, but I think there was too much negative innuendo in that thread for my tastes. :)No one should question another person's credibility here, that's not what any of this should be about.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT