Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question about distance between waypoints on arrivals.

Featured Replies

Hello, so I am working on designing a custom arrival that I eventually plan to add to the PMDG FMC in MSFS. I was thinking of trying to figure out the calculations for how far apart to place each waypoint from the others, so that I can maintain any altitude or speed restrictions. Then I thought that maybe I could just place the waypoints far enough apart that I know the distance would be enough, but I don't know if it's actually that easy. So let's say you have a waypoint with an altitude restriction of 25,000 ft, and the next waypoint has a restriction of 19.000 ft but is, say, over 40 miles away, which I think would be more than enough. Would there be any reason this wouldn't work from an AP logic standpoint? By that I mean that even though the waypoints are farther apart than they need to be, the AP won't start descending to the next altitude restriction until it needs to, rather than starting to descend when passing the previous waypoint, even though it would be too early.

Any advice?

Thanks

Jason Thiers

I don't know how they do it IRL but consider a 3 deg profile is 300 ft/nm, or in your case you need to descend 6,000 feet which should take 6 x 3 = 18nm.

That may help?

David Porrett

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.