Sign in to follow this  
mole_man

English Electric Lightning runway shelters

HiApparently during the cold war, the English Electric Lightings used to sit ready to go in a corrugated shelter near the runway. I've been asked to model one up but don't know what they are called so can't start searching for info.I was wondering if anyone knew of the official name or better still had some pics.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Check out Google Earth's airfield 'Lakenheath' in Suffolk England and you will see the aircraft shelter's and F-15's parked outside of them.

Dave,I think you will find that those are HAS {Hardened Aircraft Shelters}. We originally had the Lightnings parked the open on QRA/Battle Flight, then the tin sheds were built mainly to keep them warm and dry. After that came the NATO hardening programme and the advent of the HAS etc.I've got a picture of the Lightnings in the original sheds somewhere .........and there will certainly be a picture in one of Stewart Scott's early volumes.John R

Hi JohnIt is the Tin sheds I'm after, before the HAS program.Any picture ref's gratefully received.Graeme