Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

QANTAS "Longreach" 747-400: What happened?

Longreach was quite badly damaged in a crash-overrun at Bangkok in 1999 during a t-storm, but I read that she was repaired at a cost of $100 million which was huge. Is Longreach still flying? Is that Queen still safe to fly after such damage?Makes me wonder if BA will try to repair their 777 from the Heathrow crash a couple of months ago. I saw that poor baby recently with wingroots ripped and wondered when do airline folks decide something is a write-off and when it can still be repaired?JS

G'day JS,The aircraft was repaired to save QANTAS' reputation of never having lost an aircraft. Although the damage was substantial it was quite repairable and the aircraft is just as safe as any other B747 BA however don't have a reputation of not losing an aircraft to protect and from the damage the B777 recieved it may not be ecconomic to repair.Econonmic benefit is the guideline and I guess Qantas thought their reputation was well worth the $100 million.Roger

BA (or their insurers, or maybe the British AAIB) decided very quickly after the crash to write off the aircraft.That decision was made in hours, days at most.

Mmmm.... Mabye we should 'club together' and make an offer for the flightdeck:-)

The BAA/BA should move the bashed-up 777 farther away from 27L now because you can see the bird easily as you taxi out for takeoff. It's a rather sad sight--and not too reassuring!JS

You mean they've still not moved it indoors?Guess there's some legal battle going on as to who's to pay for the removal, BA, the wreckers, BAA, or the insurance company...

She was still out there by the runway when I flew back to IAD a coupla weeks ago and I was surprised to see it there. Mebbe it's gone by now, don't know.JS

One of the airplanes I fly at work had both wings torn off from a stiff landing. It has strange characteristics when it stalls and it has scared more then it's fair share of students :)