Sign in to follow this  
Au MaV

False Illumination

Hi all, when the gear doors are closing, and start to face skywards, they get more ambient illumination and so get bighter instead of in realty getting darker. Looks like there is a light in the wheel well. Anyone know a way of stopping light getting through the fusalage. Seems that any part pointing towards the sky get illuminated. I could acieve my goal by having an inner door skin changeing according to door angle, each with their own texture, but seems like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.thanks,nick

Hi Nick,Unfortunately that's a problem with any FS model, as superior faces are not taken into consideration when shading. Any surface with normals exposed to the direction of the light source are shaded regardless of intra-object/face occlusion. I wish it wasn't so... Obviously there are workarounds, but none of them solves the real problem. Shadows and/or light source occlusion need to be generated either on a per-object (more efficient), or per face (cooler) basis.--Jon

It's a bit of a hack, but you can deliberately set any textured material to NOT react to sunlight through editing the .asm file.Search this forum for a post with the Subject:CRACKED!!! Self-Illuminated material...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=21977&page=EDIT:I finally took a few moments to test out this concept. It actually does work, but I would caution you to NOT use the value of 1.000000000 as suggested, unless you want a "bright red glow" day AND NIGHT!!!Through a bit of experimentation, I've determined that for me, setting the RGB values to 0.2, 0.2, 0.2 work well during the daytime to minimize the effect, but will still be "dim enough" to not be overpowering at night... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi NickWhat I do is give the inner surfaces and lips of the doors a flat black material with no emissive or spectac shine.and leave the outer surface the same as the external wing/fuzz cheersWozza