Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Familton

How to Set Idle Speed?

I have a plane I just installed in FSX and the engine quits because the idle engine speed is too low with my throttle set to minimum position. I have never had this problem before. I have to crack the throttle quite a bit to keep it running. Is there some setting in the aircraft.cfg or air file that I can edit to increase the idle speed with min throttle? I have looked at min_throttle_limit and the idle_rpm scalars but don't know which to edit and what to edit them to, if these are the ones I need to edit. Best regards, Bob.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have a plane I just installed in FSX and the engine quits because the idle engine speed is too low with my throttle set to minimum position. I have never had this problem before. I have to crack the throttle quite a bit to keep it running. Is there some setting in the aircraft.cfg or air file that I can edit to increase the idle speed with min throttle? I have looked at min_throttle_limit and the idle_rpm scalars but don't know which to edit and what to edit them to, if these are the ones I need to edit. Best regards, Bob.
Bob, I realize it's been well over a year since your original post, but since I was looking for the same information myself, I found only a great silence here in the archives...The answer is to slightly increase the min_throttle_limit, such as:min_throttle_limit=0.10 //normally is 0.00This way, the next person who searches for an answer will find it! :(

Hi BillAs you've been there/done that/someone printed you the t-shirt :( I'll ask the next obvious question! If you set the min_throttle_limit in the aircraft.cfg file and then go flying without restarting FS, does this affect the movement off the stops i.e. do you now get a "null" spot that wasn't previously there? If so, does recalibrating the joystick/thottlestack resolve the problem?-Dai

Hi BillAs you've been there/done that/someone printed you the t-shirt :( I'll ask the next obvious question! If you set the min_throttle_limit in the aircraft.cfg file and then go flying without restarting FS, does this affect the movement off the stops i.e. do you now get a "null" spot that wasn't previously there? If so, does recalibrating the joystick/thottlestack resolve the problem?-Dai
The only time this "fix" would not be appropriate would be in the case of turbine engines that have reverse thrust enabled. Obviously, having a hard limit to the throttle position would remove the ability to set a negative throttle position! :( In fact, the only reason I can think of for setting a small fraction for min_throttle_limit would be as a last resort for correcting an otherwise near-perfect FDE.I had hoped that lowering the idle_rpm_friction_scalar and/or the idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar might have solved the problem of the engine(s) dying when the throttle(s) were pulled back to the stops......but, Alas and Alak (twin sons of Mr. Murphy) prevented those nobly-named scalars from their magic. :(