Sign in to follow this  
KennyG

FSD Commander - am I the only one?

Hey, count me in. I love every aircraft that FSD has put out. I think most will agree that I am critical when it comes to FSD. That's how I got my nick name (from Sonar5 I think). The Commander is an excellent plane (patched) as far as flight model and general functionality. I must agree that the sound is not there yet. Maybe FSD will patch that as well. David, be sure to patch it though, several issues were corrected and improved since the first version of the Commander. All FSD planes run well on my system and I only have a G-force 3 Ti200. The Cheyenne also works well and does not drag my system in the slightest. I think that FSD is getting a bad rap here. Excellent planes, I fly 'em all the time.My two cents.

I'm one of those people that loves the FSD Commander overall except for the engine sounds. There's got to be a better sound set in the file library that could be used instead. Does anyone have any ideas? David

Guest jase439

Are you sure you're using the latest patch? The original 115 had a good, but somewhat sub-par VC...but the new one is quite stunning. Maybe we judge a book by different standards, but I'm pretty nit-picky about payware and I'm quite pleased with my Commander purchase.J

I for one, really have enjoyed the commander. Hadnt hada problem with the sounds...but of course now will bepaying attention! I also love the Caranado C152 and Bonanzaas well as my DF Archer II.Those are my current planes I fly when doing general aviationstuff. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Could it be that you forgot that you're situated to the left of the propellor, so if you see it off center that's exactly as it should be.Many models put the pilot exactly on the aircraft centerline, so people expect that and may think a model that put them in the true pilot position is wrong somehow.I don't like the VC either, but that's not because of the Commander but because I don't like VCs in general. I hardly ever look at them so I can't comment on it.Flight dynamics seem good, sound is a bit loud sometimes but as I've never been in a real one I can't tell how accurate that is.

David,Opinions are like you-know-what... everyone has one. I'm not sure if the engine sounds are correct or not. However, we've been using noise-canceling headphones in our company owned plane for several years. (A-36 Bonanza) They work quite well on covering engine noise. You always have the option of turning off the engine sound and other environmental sounds and still be realistic. You may want to consider doing that and telling yourself you just spent 500.00 on a new headphone and are getting your monies worth out of those!!! You may get some frame rate increase out of the deal as well, one can hope!Keep flying!Dale Baker

Scott,I tried what you recommended about moving left or right and found that it is indeed centered when you are sitting in the jumpseat view (in the center) but that the prop moves left or right as you move left or right. I'd say it is a bug - somehow it's not "fixed" in its position relative to the cowl. I don't know anything about creating VCs but I wonder if this was just a simple oversight and thus an easy fix.I did download the patch and installed it. The panel is clearer now but it still stutters more than most planes on my system - no idea why I seem to have more difficulty than most, if not all. Obviously many of you love this plane but there does seem to be a valid complaint about the sounds. Thanks!David

Jeroen,I posted this above before I read your reply but I think it bears repeating. I have a good appreciation for perspective and parallax (although I'm not sure I can spell the latter! ;-))> Try moving left in the cockpit and tell me the propeller doesn't shift almost off the plane. Maybe it's an optical illusion because of the shape of the cowl - I'm not sure.David

After a lot of slewing around the VC, I'm willing to admit that the prop is actually centered. The offcenter appearance may be more of an optical illusion caused by the cowling than anything else. Somehow the effect still seems exagerated - like the cowl is longer than it is supposed to be but I con't put my finger on it. I lowered my point of vision (I'm short anyway) so the cowl isn't visible and everything looks better. As for the rest of the VC, I installed the patch and I admit it is now much cleared. In fact, I would go so far as to say it may be the clearest one to date. It would appear that the download file on the site doesn't include the changes in the patch, despite what the instructions say. It still causes more stuttering than other panels for me but it's liveable. Unfortunately, I still can't think of anything good to say about the sounds!David

Hi David,Thanks for finally realizing what we had suspected. The fact that you didn't have a patch. I would suggest in the future doing proper research prior to hitting the post button.It is well known that this plane was originally created for MSFS2000 and not in GMAX. FSD Did a FREE update to FS2002 and a VC update. as a matter of fact on the website it cleary states that there was a service release available which said:"Service Release for aircraft purchased prior to April 11, 2002"Are you stating that the updated VC was not included in the install file and you purchased it After April 11?I bought it anyway after asking a ton of questions and I think you might consider an apolgy to the good folks at FSD. They also have a forum available at FSD, and you could have voiced your concerns and probably gotten a quicker road to reality if you did.I would like to know what is the perfect airplane out there as I have yet to discover one. I would also be curious as to your definition a perfect plane.Regards,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Joe,I purchased the plane 4 days ago. I had every reason to expect the patch was included - correct? You also mention that it is well known that the plane was created for FS2K and didn't use GMax. Well, I don't consider myself a newbie to FS or Avsim, and yet this wasn't common knowledge to me (maybe because I rarely use GA aircraft in FS). The web site states that this is a custom model for FS2K2 and says nothing about it not being created with GMax (not that that is critical, necessarily). I gave my heart felt opinion of the product as I found it and offer no apologies for that. With some tinkering, I've since found it is somewhat better than originally stated but it still hasn't met my expectations. You defend this like I'm bashing FSD. I'm not. I love the Cheyenne and will almost certainly buy the upcoming models, just like I buy almost everything else. I know people are overly sensitive right now about others trashing freeware but I think giving my personal opinion about something I've purchased is entirely different. I'm sorry if it isn't entirely complementary and that it doesn't agree with your opinion, but if we're only allowed to say complementary things in this forum, I don't see what good it is.David

Guest Jet

Since we are looking for opinions...love the Commander!I consider the cost fair and reasonable and money well spent.It si a considerable enhancement to my simulator experience.Thanks FSD!

Glad you all enjoy the Commander. Some considerations:1. The C115 was built for FS2000. Since then we had 3 updates, as I can remember, to include a VC and new gauges.2. It was the first FSD model to be released (in this case updated) for FS2002. Never think that people born with knowledge. They need time to learn! The Cheyenne is the proof and wait for the next projects.3. The sounds are accurate as they can be with the limitations of a sound card. Have you ever heard a C115 taking off? Well, my friend, what you have in your comp is the closest thing you'll get!4. If CAC (Commander Aircraft Corporation) agrees that FSD's C115 FDE to be as accurate as possible inside the limits of PC Flight Simulation, then we can say that the FDE is perfect!Regards to everyone.

I have to agree - I think it is an excellent aircraft. If I fly with the VC@60% then the gauges are slightly hard to read (but that is my choice) at 100% they are perfect !!!

Couple of things:1. Don't use the patch - you can do an installation of the most up-to-date version of the airplane with your purchase key. I had a lot of problems with this. 2. Make sure that you are setting your textures slider under the display sliders as far right as you can for the best looking VC. I think the plane is a gem. It comes across the threshold like it was on wheels and handles smoothly and responsively.