Sign in to follow this  

HiI cant find any info on the program tmfviewer that comes with Ground2K4_v5. As far as I'm informed it's a program to check your compiled sceneryfiles "on the fly". I have tried to "look" at some default bgl-files from the FS2004 scenery, but the prg shows me nothing. Which file-type is this program reading/showing?Best RegardsLars

Hi Lars:it's true that TMFViewer is rather sparse regarding documentation. Luis's suggestion about LWMViewer is a good alternative.TMFViewer can read mesh .bgl files (it shows a colored relief display and you can read the elevations with the mouse), landclass and waterclass (color-coded classes; determine the class value with the mouse), as well as FS2002 (!!!) VTP and LWM .bgl files. TMFViewer won't display most of the FS9 VTP/LWM files but Jim's LWMViewer does.Cheers, Holger

Guest jimkeir

Hi.FYI, I made an update to LWMViewer this morning that will show the landclass value under the mouse pointer. However, it doesn't display waterclass data. Yet :-wink2Regards,Jim Keir

Hello Lars,Here is how TMFViewer works:1. F1 - zoom in2. F2 - zoom out3. click anywhere to center the image4. Use Jump in the menu to go to specific coordinates5. Read values in the bottom status bar.TMFViewer always seems to launch somewhere close to Holger in the Canadian Northwest. So you may see a lot of snow at first!Don't worry, just go to another part of the world using the Jump option.And many thanks, Jim, for your very useful program.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis!My problem is, that I don't see anything at all when i try to open my compiled BGL-file. On the other hand LWMViewer show me the island I made. Do TMFviewer need som kind of dll-file to function properly?Best RegardsLars

Hi Lars:If you don't mind it would be easier for our "diagnosis" if you put your compiled file in a .zip and attach it to a response to this thread. That way we can easily check whether the problem is with one of the viewers or your .bgl file.Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger!I have attached my 2 bgl-files in the zip-file "Lars_Project.zip".I have choosen an island called Skiathos, one of the Sporadic Islands in the Aegean Sea. Because I have a few questions to the working process, I would like to explain to you what I have done so far:1) Started a project called "Projekt_Sporaderne"2) Excluded the seashore line of the default island (but maybee I should have taken all the LOD13's and excluded the seashore for the default island is off course not congruent with the "real" sattelite photo island)3) I drawed a new coastline using the following poperties.... >> Main-TabPoly/Line/Shore = "Poly with shore"Type_Poly = "LWM Poly">> Lines-TabI dont recall which kind of shore I used, I guess it dos'nt matter!>> LWM-TabLWM/Poly = "Land"Alltitude meters = "-9999"I drawed the coastline without closing the last few milimters in order not to cross the lines. Compiling this went without error messages. Checking this in FS2004 showed the new coastline. Some of the old coastline was still there, probably because I did not exclude enough (It could be nice to have the default island "together" with the satelite photo island in Ground2K4 so one could avoid making those kind of mistakes. What do you professionals out there do?)4) Choosing the LC icon I then filled every LOD13 inside the coastline with landclass terrain.When I tried to compile that, Ground2K4 gave a frensh error message. The time of my files was updated, but nothing new had happened when I checked the bgl in FS2004. There was no land as I expected. Where did the landclasses go? Obviously I missed something here, but what?)That was the process. My first question about TMFviewer is still a problem. I dont see anything when I load the bgl-files. On the other hand the "LMWviewer" shows me my island.I'm very thankfull for you and Luis trying to help me in the most patient way. I must admit that I find the scenery design work "a little bit" difficult. Have you ever considered writing a book named something like "Scenery Design For Dummies" ?? ;-)Kind RegardsLars

Hi Holger!I have attached my 2 bgl-files in the zip-file "Lars_Project.zip".I have choosen an island called Skiathos, one of the Sporadic Islands in the Aegean Sea. Because I have a few questions to the working process, I would like to explain to you what I have done so far:1) Started a project called "Projekt_Sporaderne"2) Excluded the seashore line of the default island (but maybee I should have taken all the LOD13's and excluded the seashore for the default island is off course not congruent with the "real" sattelite photo island)3) I drawed a new coastline using the following poperties.... >> Main-TabPoly/Line/Shore = "Poly with shore"Type_Poly = "LWM Poly">> Lines-TabI dont recall which kind of shore I used, I guess it dos'nt matter!>> LWM-TabLWM/Poly = "Land"Alltitude meters = "-9999"I drawed the coastline without closing the last few milimters in order not to cross the lines. Compiling this went without error messages. Checking this in FS2004 showed the new coastline. Some of the old coastline was still there, probably because I did not exclude enough (It could be nice to have the default island "together" with the satelite photo island in Ground2K4 so one could avoid making those kind of mistakes. What do you professionals out there do?)4) Choosing the LC icon I then filled every LOD13 inside the coastline with landclass terrain.When I tried to compile that, Ground2K4 gave a frensh error message. The time of my files was updated, but nothing new had happened when I checked the bgl in FS2004. There was no land as I expected. Where did the landclasses go? Obviously I missed something here, but what?)That was the process. My first question about TMFviewer is still a problem. I dont see anything when I load the bgl-files. On the other hand the "LMWviewer" shows me my island.I'm very thankfull for you and Luis trying to help me in the most patient way. I must admit that I find the scenery design work "a little bit" difficult. Have you ever considered writing a book named something like "Scenery Design For Dummies" ?? ;-)Kind RegardsLars

Hi Lars.Here's a tip for TMFViewer:First load worldlc.bgl... this is the default landclass for all the world.Then load your bgl, and you should be able to find it in the world.If you have a landclass you made, then you could load that instead of worldlc.bgl... then load your LWM and VTP bgls over that.Dick

Hi Lars:sorry but it seems that your attachment didn't attach properly; make sure to select .zip when choosing the file type.Your process sounds about right; just a few thoughts:To exclude larger areas I use DefArea 2.0, also by Christian Fumey.If you want to know exactly where the default features (shorelines etc.) run, use LWMViewer's "Open by Coords" function. Zoom in on your area of interest, enable the LOD13 grid, and use the mouse to read the LOD13 Area coordinates to work with in G2K4 (if your screen is big enough you can set up G2K4 and LWMViewer as split windows side-by-side.To view your files in TMFViewer use Rhumba's suggestion.In my experience, landclass files (LC*.bgl) are only compiled properly when the G2K4 file parameters are set to the Ground2K4 root directory. For example, I use "F:Ground2K4" as the directory for the landclass .raw and .bgl files and that's where they end up each time I compile my project.Funny, I was asked that "Scenery Design for Dummies" book question twice today. However, I don't believe in "dummies" and know for a fact that many people have different levels of experience and ways of learning. Even with such a book/tutorial available we'd still receive lots of questions ;-) There's a parallel thread here, about making islands, which might help you too: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=18304&page= And, of course, there's Luis's nice summary in your very own thread: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=18533&page=Cheers, Holger

Hi HolgerIn case you will try my little project with TMFviewer I've tried to upload my attached file once more. Thanks for your answers. I'll try it out when I get some time this weekend.Cheers, LarsPS No - Tried once more following the 3 steps for file attachment (including checked the zip-file). Did'nt succeed, although it said as follows: The file you chose was sucessfully uploaded to the server.The URL of this file is http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/65770.zip(NEVER MIND, I THINK YOU SOLVED MY TMFVIEWER PROBLEM)