Sign in to follow this  

To die for Scenery

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Any information would be appreciated here in the public forum.Thanks,CB

Two problems -- no three1. 650mb for a postage stamp piece of terrain that frankly would generate little interest for anyone other than locals and mountain flyers.2. This is heading toward new HDD territory just to house scenery.3. Distribution would be a nightmare - what the author should do is bust it up into sizeable chunks - say 20mb each - and have bits of it hosted in different places

Chumley,Your three points may be valid as your personal opinion, but I would do a naked handstand down my main street at midday for scenery like that. This comes from someone who does not even own a copy of FS2002, but it is addons like this that will "make" me purchase a copy of FS2002 (Fly! user from way back).The screenshots are stunning - regardless of file size, distribution etc, we should be appreciative the author is even willing to share this amazing work with us.Incredible.Kind RegardsAndy

A preview of FS2004?????????????? I wish!beautiful ...............

Stupid question......but....what's it scenery of?gwillmot

Good question,It looks to me like some Italian type scenery similar to the high res package for X-Plane.Andy

The appearance and the clues on the link in the 1st post indicate that it is the Dolomites which is an area of pinkish limestone in NE Italy.

Stefano,Thanks for the info, I will have to purchase FS2002 now, you have done an amazing job on this scenery - simply stunning.Kind RegardsAndy

Thanks for the nice and encouraging words, Andy, and all of you!I will keep posted the latest news about the final touchs to this (hard, believe me) work!Stefano.

what a job!!!!!!!Looks like FS2004??????

Stunning work Stefano!Great Job! As was seen before, you have matched the elevation points to the terrain BMPs in spectacular fashion!Paul

Nope it's a look back at Flight Unlimited III......Hehe sorry just being nostalgic. :-)Are those shadows real (As in they change depending on the position of the sun) or just simply a part of the image like they were back in the old days? Or it is something in between as I would suspect?Looks fantastic regardless.-Leon Medado

That is pretty stunning !! Just wish that the default was 1/2 as good.....

Absolutly stunning scenery!! To put it lightly.Would you consider uploading the compressed version of the scenery to avsim? I think the AVSIM administration would be honored to put it available for downloading. DSL users will have no problems. However, us 56k dialup users will have to use Godzilla to download, however it will easily be worthwhile.Thanks,CB

The scenery looks stunning but all this from a decent altitude. I believe as you get lower it will look much more blurry than default scenery. Performance may also be seriously affected. So, as always in life, some trade-offs to think about.Michael J.

Hi Michael,no, as you get lower the scenery won't look more blurry than default scenery (why would it happen?). Performance is NOT affected AT all: with my configuration (which is not a Cray computer) I do not go below 25-0 fps! So, I don't see any trade-off, at least in THIS life!Cheers, Stefano.

Stefano,What is the resolution of this scenery ? Is it anywhere near 5 meter ? I believe this is what FS2002's default scenery is. So if your scenery is 10 or 15 meter for example it will definitely look more blurry once you get low enough.Michael J.

I wasn't bagging his work I was simply making an observation.Go buy FS2K2 - you won't be disappointed.

Chumley,I know you arn`t bagging his work :) , and if it was`nt for this thread, I probably would`nt be buying FS2002 - so thanks! (I`m off to get it this weekend).Kind RegardsAndy

Michael,as explained at the home page of my scenery, the whole territory is at LOD13, i.e. 4.8 m/pixel.Cheers, Stefano.

Oh, that's pretty good. I didn't expect that !Michael J.