Sign in to follow this  
arno

More clarification about using VTP2 polys

I'm using G2K4 for a small project, and one of the things I'm doing is laying down some small ground polys using VTP2s with my own custom textures. If I do that, is it possible to get autogen to show as well via annotating the custom textures?And on a related note, I've also tried using VTP2s set to 253 (custom terrain textures), getting the correct texture name from G2k4 and then putting that texture in my local "texture" folder, but they never seem to show. Is that the preferred technique? I know it would work if I made a standard block of custom textures using resample, but this way seems different somehow.thanks,

Hi Bill,small project, eh? ;-)Nope, VTP2 polys with "general" (i.e., named) custom textures cannot have agn files; agn asociation seems to be dictated and limited by the hard-coded landclass lookup table. Sure wish it would be possible...The alternative is to set up a 253 poly and use "unique" (i.e., numbered) custom autogen; you don't need to have associated textures, just put the poly bgl into your local scenery folder and the agn files into the main (!) FS9 texture folder. I seem to remember that FS "doesn't like it" if you have a local texture folder when using this approach.Cheers, Holger

My understanding is you cannot get agen to show on custom textures.Which makes me wonder, all this talk about LandClass files beginning with LC*.bgl causing memory leaks. Well a G2K4 bgl also amends the LandClass so is that also going to cause a memory leak?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Shez.It doesn't matter what name you give a landclass BGL. The only memory leak is caused by the presence of a "texture" folder that doesn't contain ALL the textures needed by the BGL. This is also the same for VTP BGLs. The first incarnation of USARoads had this problem... using empty "texture" folders with it's "scenery" folders caused a leak... actually it wasn't a true leak, but a redundant opening of the "texture" folder each time a texture was sought. There was a finite limit to the leak.. it didn't go to infinity, but it would crash systems with less than 1GB. The "texture" folders were deleted, and the scenery became well behaved.Holger is right on the money with his reply. Each LOD13 area in the sim can have it's own special autogen, by using the CUSTOM ( photoreal ) name for the AGN file, and calling the absent CUSTOM texture with a VTP2 BGL. I put the AGN files in the "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryWorldtexture" folder.The new patch from Microsoft may correct this memory leak.Dick

Thanks D,I have not seen this problem with my latest project where I have used G2K4 to amend the surrounds of the airport with a combo of custom textures and default landclass textures (the textures of which are not resident in the add-on texture folder). How would one know if there was a problem? Would one have to fly out of the airport and then return to see this?ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

>I'm using G2K4 for a small project, and one of the things I'm>doing is laying down some small ground polys using VTP2s with>my own custom textures. If I do that, is it possible to get>autogen to show as well via annotating the custom textures?No, unfortunately that is not supported. You can only get autogen on the default landclass textures or on custom photo textures.I think Dick made a post some time ago how to make autogen without a texture, that might help you if you still want autogen.>And on a related note, I've also tried using VTP2s set to 253>(custom terrain textures), getting the correct texture name>from G2k4 and then putting that texture in my local "texture">folder, but they never seem to show. Is that the preferred>technique? I know it would work if I made a standard block of>custom textures using resample, but this way seems different>somehow.If you use 253 your texture must be in the main texture folder (sceneryworldtexture), not in your local texture folder.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog