Sign in to follow this  
Guest Firestriker

MakeMDL Mystery!

I'm at a loss. I get an error whenever I export that says I have a MakeMDL problem. I have even reinstalled GMAX three times and installed the FS2004 SDK. No go! Is there a config file elsewhere on the computer that I'm not uninstalling when I try the clean install?File names do not have spaces in them and one of the files exports fine on my desktop (this in the laptop).

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Paths are set in Customize|Congfigure Paths.. not Customize|Preferences on my GMax (Version 1.2) for FS9.

The program isn't finding MakeMDL. The configure path menu shows gamepackfs2004 for plugcfg. I've also heard this message may show with a file problem however this is exactly the same file that worked great when exported on my home computer. Go figure.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Could it be a problem with the units (meter vs feet) or maybe the decimal character (dot vs comma)?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

The Laptop is set up for English(US) and the GMAX install is generic with no changes other than the unit change to meters. Here is the path section on GMAX.INI:[Directories]Fonts=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004Scenes=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004Import=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004Export=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004Help=C:GMAXHelpExpressions=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004Sounds=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004PlugCFG=C:GMAXgamepacksfs2004Heidi Drivers=C:GMAXDriversAutoBackup=C:GMAXautobackMaterials=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004texturegmaxStart=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004scenesScripts=C:GMAXgamepacksFS2004scriptsStartup Scripts=C:GMAXScriptsStartupIt shouldn't be the particular file either. I created a file with only two boxes that has the same problem. If it wasn't for perserverance on steroids, I'd probably give up.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Yes, its installed. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it!Thanks,

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest Firestriker

The "Can't find Makemdl" is usually a generic error message. Look in the directory you are trying to export to for a *.log file. There may not be anything wrong with your gMax setup but there may be a problem with the model itself. Especially if you have the options of the various types of FS models to export to.Lou

There is no log files for export action in target directories. Also, the existing file still exports fine on desktop computer just not the laptop. I went as far as to create a simple two object file on the laptop and it would not export either. Basic installation on laptop is generic GMAX installation, FS2004 GMAX SDK install as is with no tweaking or changes. That not working, I updated the MakeMDL SDK. Still no joy!Both computers are Win XP Home SP2.Thanks for the sleuthing suggestions.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Lou,Call it black magic or whatever but I got home a couple of days ago and tonight I tried to export from GMAX and it worked. I'm not aware that any changes were made. The only difference is that since I got home, I have the laptop hooked up to my home network where my desktop is. I'm certainly scratching my head on that one.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest Firestriker

Well, glad your up and running now. The only thing I can think of is that when you install gMax, it writes and environment variable to your OS config files and maybe it just now finally found it.Lou

Guest artmartin

Did you ever figure out what caused your problem cause I'm having a similar one where it worked one day and then not the next.Art Martin