Sign in to follow this  

Ground2K4, LWMViewer, FS9 and fake lakes

Howdy Everyone,I have a problem with lakes being present where none exist in nature and have been trying to figure out what's going on for several days but have hit a brick wall.The two lakes suddenly appeared along the Yellowstone River, one on the west edge of Livingston, Montana and the other a few miles downstream east of Livingston. They appear to be default lakes with shorelines. These lakes are not present in reality or in FS9. The only thing that I can recall doing was including two more topo maps in the project. These are on the west side of the project and include Bozeman and the Bridger Range north of Bozeman. I edited default files to remove roads, railroads, streams and utilities from the area. There are no lakes to be removed so the HL and HP918150.bgl files were not edited.The problem concerns the 918150.BGL, cell 148 x 126. Naturally there are no lakes within this cell and certainly none at the locations where the two now appear in FS9. I edited HL918150.bgl and HP918150.bgl to remove cell 148 x 126 but the two lakes continue to appear in LWMViewer. I repeated the process several times with the same result. I checked my other edited BGLs (RD, RR, ST and UT 918150) and re-edited the entire set again but the flaming lakes continue to appear in LWMViewer and when I fly the area in FS9.The two "fake" lakes are located approximately at N45

Hello Everyone,I'm at my wits' end with this lakes problem. I removed both default and my edited BGL files and the lakes still appear in LWMViewer. I also removed all the lake BGLs from the scenery folder with no effect, so they must not be the problemThe two lakes do appear to be some than I've drawn, so I'll continue to remove/disable BGLs from other sceneries in hopes of nailing down a culprit.In the meantime, would someone be willing to install the scenery in its current condition to see if the lakes appear on their computer? The compressed file, Crazy Mountains.zip, is 1900Kb and arranged as Crazy MountainsSceneryBGL files. A FS9 snapshot of the fake lakes is attached to this post. The view is southwestward or upstream on the Yellowstone River heading toward Livingston, Montana. The two lakes are marked by black arrows.You'll have a more realistic scenery for this part of Montana until a final version is available. If the lakes aren't present, great. If they do appear, ignore 'em and enjoy the Crazies and surrounding country. First come, first served!Thanks a million in advance.Wilhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/126025.jpg

Hi Wil,The lakes are in HP918150.bgl. Are you sure you have edited all occurences of cell 148x126 areas 3x5 3x6, 5x1, 5x2 and 6x1.George

Hello George,I removed HL and HP918150.bgl, cell 148 x 126 completely among other options trying to fix the problem.The problem is, there are no real lakes at the two locations. They are leaking or sneaking in from some place but I cannot figure where.If you are seeing lakes in HL/HP918150.BGL, cell 148 x 126, then the problem is with FS9. However, I've been working on this scenery for months and the two lakes just popped up a week or so ago! I didn't done anything I hadn't been doing before.As I said earlier, I even removed all instances of HL and HP918150.bgl, default and edited, from the computer and the lakes still appeared in LWMViewer.I don't know what to do next.Wil

I don't have any addon scenery for North America so the only way I could see them is from the HP file.George

It looks to me like those 2 lakes are in the default HP file cell 148x126. If you weren't seeing them before, the first thing I think of is that you had excluded the shores and installed an LWM landmask poly over the lakes in another bgl file as part of your project.scott s..

Hello Scott,The lakes just popped up about a week ago and I hadn't done anything in the vicinity for some time. This I can't understand, but if you and others are seeing the lakes without any addons installed, they must be in the default HL and HP918150 BGLs. Since I haven't been able to remove the lakes by editing the default BGLs, I must have an edited file somewhere on my system that I've missed.Thanks to you and George I now know what's probably the problem. It's been driving me crazy. Many thanks for the information.Wil

Hello Y'all,I've been wrestling with this problem for a week or more and have come to the conclusion that there is an error(s) in the FS9 default file HP918150.BGL located in FS9SceneryNamcScenery.First, there are no actual lakes at 45

Hi Wil,I've seen a couple of lakes in other places that don't exist in reality either. I guess there are some errors in the source data the FS team used.Attached below is the edited version of HP918150.bgl without those tow lakes. The bgs compiled fine for me. In this case the editing was particularly easy because the two lakes are the only objects in that LOD8 cell. Thus, rather than deleting the actual data I just had to place a semicolon in front of the "LWMIndexEntry CellID_000029, LWMStart, CELLSTART_000029, CELLEND_000029" line at the bottom of the file and change the LWMIndexHeader at the top of the index from 33 to 32. Two alphanumerical characters changed and the lakes are gone ;-)If you still see those lakes then you must have another version of HP918150.bgl active. Do a FS-wide search for "HP91815" and check what is active.For shorelines it's usually easier to use DefArea excludes rather than editing the HL files but either way is fine.Good luck!Cheers, Holger http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/126316.zip

Howdy Holger,I tried your suggestions yesterday with no resolution. The searches came up with two files, the default in the FS9 scenery folder and my edited file in my scenery folder. Whatever, there must be something well hidden somewhere and I'll try everything again today and see what happens. This is becoming one big pain in the neck, for sure.Wil

Hi Holger,Many thanks for your suggestions.Something is definitely haywire somewhere. You only have lakes in 918150, cell 148 x 126. I have lakes, roads, a railroad, streams and utilities. This cell encompasses the Livingston, MT area that does include the Yellowstone River and tributaries, I-90 and other roads, the BNSF railroad, utility lines and the Livingston airport. So, I have no idea why we have two disparate cell contents.Earlier I installed HL918150.BGL and HP918150.BGL from CD#3 of FS9/COF replacing the two files in FS9SceneryNamcScenery. So, they must be correct. Apparently there is an error in the HP918150.BGL that makes the lakes appear.I ran searches for HP918150.BGL in FS9 and the partition on which I keep my addon scenery. The searches found HP918150.BGL in FS9 and myedited HP918150.BGL in the addon scenery. No others.I have edited the HP918150.BGL file both by removing the 148 x 126 cell data and following your instructions by placing semicolons before the cell 29 entries, etc. I still cannot get the BGS file to compile a BGL file.I've tried removing all 918150 files except HP to another partition and then tried to edit HP with no success. I've removed all 918150 including HL and HP to another partition and the two lakes still appear in FS9. So, there must be an active file somewhere but I cannot find it.I've been working on this project for months and the two lakes appeared only a week or so ago. I don't recall doing anything that would cause them to appear. I did add two maps to the project but they cover the area to the west and are separated from the Livingston area map by an intervening map.I am completely stumped and have no idea what to do now.Wil

Hi Wil,We don't have disparate cell contents in 148x126. The HP file, which I edited, only contains lakes so that's what I was referring to. I wasn't interested in roads or airports etc.You mention that your searches "found HP918150.BGL in FS9 and myedited HP918150.BGL in the addon scenery. No others." I assume that the HP918150.bgl in your SceneryNamcscenery is deactivated in some fashion? Otherwise those lakes would still show; in fact, all of your changes in your edited version would be overwritten with the default water.Here's a trick that might help with finding reasons for compilation errors: copy the line below into an empty text file, edit the file name to reflect your edited bgs file, and save the file as bglc.bat in the same folder where bglc.exe resides. Then double.click on bglc.bat and an error.txt file should show up which provides some information on the problem.bglc.exe my_edited.bgs > error.txtAnyway, in situations like this it's often best to "let it go" and look at the issue later on, say in a couple of weeks or so.Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,Thanks for the file. I'll give that a try but after letting this sucker set for a while. I do need to complete the project and will continue drawing roads 'n stuff in the meantime. The edited file that you sent yesterday works fine so I'll use it until I can get this figgered-out.Yes, I did disable and move my edited files before trying another BGL compilation. I think that I've tried every permutation possible. But there's still something somewhere messing with the system.Maybe a little flying around BC will help the morale. I'll check-out your new home locality.Wil

Hello All,Well, the "fake lakes" have miraculously disappeared! I have not done anything since my last post but draw tree groves, small ponds, roads and streams and make landclass changes. None of the *918150.BGL files have been touched. This is weird because the "fake lakes" just appeared one day. I was unable to find any HL and HP918150.BGL files other than the defaults and my edited files. Anyway, the problem has disappeared, hopefully permanently.Wil