Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Creating an Island with FS-KML 1.07

I'm trying to create an island with FS-KML and Google Earth. Unfortuntely I can't seem to get my ocean back.I've created a polygon to exclude WaterPolys (this works)I've created a Polygon hole for my island and a polygon surrounding it for my new water.The result is a very large area of land (the size of one grid square), and my island sitting in a small area of water.I tried creating a much larger polygon for the water which will give me water within its extents but it then wipes out my island.Any ideas?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi, thanks for trying FSX KML.You need to follow these steps:-1) Exclude the default water. This will exclude any QMID11 grid that the exclusion "touches". Its annoying I know but this is just the way excludes behave in FSX for performance reasons. It's not an FSX KML issue.2) Create a water polygon that covers all the QMID11 grids that were excluded in step 1.3) Create a polygon hole in the shape of your island. In FSX KML polygon holes are associated with the preceding water polygon in the KML file, so make sure your polygon hole is AFTER the water polygon created in step 2.That should do it!There is a dedicated FSX KML forum over at www.fsdeveloper.comHere is the link to the FSX KML forum:-http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81There is also a manual at:-http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=FSX_KML

To further reiterate what MatthewS said:When you excluded your stock water poly, you must realize that your exclude **will exclude the entire QMID-11-sized square of water**. That is what you are seeing.What is QMID-11? In laymans terms it's a big chunk of water, a grid size of many miles across, and it's how Microsoft has divided the water on the FS world in most cases (not all, but most).So, you must first exclude your water poly as you did...second, you must then add in YOUR OWN water poly to RE-COVER the exposed area...third, do PolygonHole immediately after your water poly.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Thanks, that seems to have done it.Now, if I want to create a bunch of islands can I create a group of polygon_holes in a folder in Google Earth and place it after the new water poly? I'm assuming I only need to create one exclude water poly.If I want to create shorelines and change the landclass, is this a matter of duplicating the polygon_holes and reclassing them as different landclass types?If so, I assume they should be located after the polygon_holes in the hierarchy?Finally, is there an easy way to know how big and where to draw my new water polygon so that it covers the entire QMID-11 in Google Earth? I'm just eyeballing it now.

>Thanks, that seems to have done it.>>Now, if I want to create a bunch of islands can I create a>group of polygon_holes in a folder in Google Earth and place>it after the new water poly? I'm assuming I only need to>create one exclude water poly.>>If I want to create shorelines and change the landclass, is>this a matter of duplicating the polygon_holes and reclassing>them as different landclass types?>>If so, I assume they should be located after the polygon_holes>in the hierarchy?>>Finally, is there an easy way to know how big and where to>draw my new water polygon so that it covers the entire QMID-11>in Google Earth? I'm just eyeballing it now.The polygon holes need to be in the *same folder* as the water polygon. You can add as many holes as you like as long as they appear after the water polygon.Re shorelines, you're correct, just copy and re-tag as shoreline. The ordering is not important. Ordering is only an issue for the holes because thats how FSX KML associates the hole with the first preceding polygon it finds in the same kml folder.Re QMID-11 grid. Unfortunately no way to know how big with FSX KML (yet).

>Thanks, that seems to have done it.>>Now, if I want to create a bunch of islands can I create a>group of polygon_holes in a folder in Google Earth and place>it after the new water poly? I'm assuming I only need to>create one exclude water poly.>>If I want to create shorelines and change the landclass, is>this a matter of duplicating the polygon_holes and reclassing>them as different landclass types?>Yes and for the landclass you would need to create your landclass outside of FSX_KML...because FSX_KML does not do landclass.I use EZ-Landclass because I am too knot-headed to figure out how to use Photoshop's "Indexed Color" feature to do it.>Finally, is there an easy way to know how big and where to>draw my new water polygon so that it covers the entire QMID-11>in Google Earth? I'm just eyeballing it now.The way I do it, is to use TMFViewer (this app comes with the SDK).Load up your cvxXXXX.bgl file, and TMViewer will show you the polygon boundaries for your water poly. Most will be on QMID-11 boundaries but not all. Anyway in the lower-left hand of TMFViewer it tells you the lat and long of where your mouse pointer is. In this way, you can tell exactly the coordinates you need...then you can ALT-TAB over to GoogleEarth and draw your new water polygon accordingly.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

>Yes and for the landclass you would need to create your>landclass outside of FSX_KML...because FSX_KML does not do>landclass.>Currently you can do land class polygons but not the traditional land class "tiles". I am planning to add land class tiles soon. What you would do is draw the polygons and tag with a landclass tag (instead of landclasspoly tag) and FSX KML will generate the appropriate GEOTIFF file for input into the SDK resample tool.

Matthew,You seemed to have created an amazing tool here. I was wondering if there was, or planned to be a simple tutorial for us old guys who are having a bit of a problem following the technospeak. Something that had a few screen captures to help us along.If I understand correctly, can I go to Google Earth, trace the outline of a country/regional town and somehow automagically assign it a texture and inport it into FSX?I know that I am oversimplifying things a bit, but is that the essence of the application?Cheers and thanks for your time.Best regards,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaCheck out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

>>If I understand correctly, can I go to Google Earth, trace the>outline of a country/regional town and somehow automagically>assign it a texture and inport it into FSX?>>I know that I am oversimplifying things a bit, but is that the>essence of the application?>Yep that's it basically.Once you get the process down it's fast and e-z.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

I need to update the manual at some stage and add a better tutorial.Also, the FSX KML forum over at FSDeveloper has a lot of posts which may be helpful.But basically, if you want to trace town shapes do this:-In Google Earth1) Create a "folder" in Google Earth for your project.2) Create a polygon in your folder and trace the town3) Right click on the folder and click Save As and save the folder as a KML file In FSX KML1) Click the Add button and add the KML file2) Click on your polygon, you will see arrow, click it and "tag" the polygon with an appropriate LandClassPoly tag for your town3) Make sure FSX is not running, then Click build tab and then build button to build the BGL file. It should copy the newly built BGL to the FSX addon scenery directoryThat should do it! Run FSX and you should see your town shape.PS: See my sig below for the FSX KML manual, you will also find link to the FSX KML forum inside the manual

>I need to update the manual at some stage and add a better>tutorial.>>Also, the FSX KML forum over at FSDeveloper has a lot of posts>which may be helpful.>>But basically, if you want to trace town shapes do this:->>In Google Earth...>That should do it! Run FSX and you should see your town>shape.>>PS: See my sig below for the FSX KML manual, you will also>find link to the FSX KML forum inside the manual>Thanks so much for your time Matthew. I have posted a question in the FSDeveloper FSX_KML forum and was wondering if you could have a look.It sounds so simple when you explain it, but I must have done something pretty wrong to get no result whatsoever.With thanks in advance,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaCheck out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html