Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Where to find animated wind power plant

It all sounds good to me, Gary. Very pertinent remarks.For the moment, I have not come across any FS 9 objects that are not in FS X. And they all have the same GUID, although in a different format.Also, after testing, the only FS 9 animated objects that are not animated in FS X are: - amusement park - rotating radar - windmillI have not yet checked the objects with effects, for example, the flaming hoop.Best regards.Luis

Newbie here with a slightly off-topic question. Arno stated "Creating new library BGL files with the Fs2004 default objects (after you decompiled them for example) is not a good idea, so I would not advice doing that" a couple posts back, and I'd like to know why this isn't good. Is it because of the potential for GUID conflicts, or because de-compiling/re-compiling messes up the models somehow?Not questioning your advice arno, just curious because I have one .mdl of my own making that was compiled by itself into an object library .bgl back when I first started experimenting with this stuff. I deleted the gmax source and the exported .mdl afterwards (newbie dumbness) and I thought at some point before finishing the scenery I'm building I should decompile that particular .bgl and add the .mdl to my main multi-object library that contains the rest of the custom objects I've made for this scenery. Not a huge deal, I should probably re-build the object anyway now that I have a faint clue what I'm doing in Gmax.Thanks,Jim

Hi Jim,That is a good question. The main reason that creating a new library with the same objects is a bad idea is because you run the risk of two problems:1. If you use the same GUID in the new BGL as in the old BGL, you will have two libraries with the same GUID. That gives a conflict as you will never know from which one FS is going to load the object.2. If you use new GUIDs in the new BGL (which is possible with the Fs2004 SDK) then you end up having the same object with two GUIDs. That means extra memory usage, but also confusion, as depending on the GUID the object is loaded from another library, while the objects look (and are) the same. So that is not good either.For your own problem, I think it is no issue. If you include your MDL file in your "new" (or multi-object) library and afterwards remove the old BGL that contained it everything is fine. You still only have one BGL file containing the object and you can from now on call it from the new library.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi All:I created a placement BGL using Instant Scenery (IS) in FS2004 to display the FS9 "generic" windmill power generator object (under discussion above) into {FSX install path}Addon SceneryScenery.Immediately after placement and closing the (IS) user interface, the static object displayed; however, it would rotate ONLY after re-indexing of the FS9 scenery library, exiting, and re-starting FS2004.I also enabled objects from that FS9 "generic.bgl" and a placement BGL created in (IS) in FS2004 for displaying the above FS9 "generic" windmill power generator object by installing a COPY of those files into {FSX install path}Addon SceneryScenery.I was then able to display in FSX the above windmill power generator object in question, but the FS9 object also did NOT animate the propeller when displayed in FSX even after re-indexing of the FSX scenery library, exiting, and re-starting FSX.This shows a worse version of the same FS9 problem with the "generic" windmill power generator object when the FSX "hazards" packaged/ported version of that same "windmill" is loaded and displayed from an FSX object placement BGL created in (IS) IN FSX: NO ROTATION OF THE FS9 OBJECT EITHER (even after re-indexing of the FSX scenery library, exiting, and re-starting FSX).I was initially unable to find in (IS), a 3rd party animated turbine scenery object in the "Scroby_Sands_Windfarm_1.BGL" referred to in the "Scroby Sands Offshore Windfarm for FSX Update" Readme file, in which "Arfa" is acknowledged "for the animated turbine model" available from http://www.vfraddons.co.uk/vfrdetails_view...?SelectedID=728.The "Scroby Sands Offshore Windfarm" scenery folder chain had been initially installed and loaded in the midst of an ongoing FSX (IS) session which had NOT yet been exited and re-started before trying to locate the animated turbine scenery object in the "Scroby_Sands_Windfarm_1.BGL"; the BGL was NOT available at all in the scenery BGL file pick list prior to re-starting FSX.The "Scroby Sands Offshore Windfarm for FSX Update" was installed in the appropriate paired folder configuration under {FSX install path}Addon SceneryScenery.After re-starting FSX, the "Scroby_Sands_Windfarm_1.BGL" file and its "animated turbine model" object (listed by GUID name only) was seen by (IS); however the object in that BGL was "geo-locked" and could not be placed at my test location near Emma Field.( see: ) http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...25290&mode=full http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...ight=geo-lockedhttp://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...ight=geo-lockedhttp://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...ight=geo-lockedhttp://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...ight=geo-lockedI suppose that if one loaded a flight and slewed near the "Scroby Sands Offshore Windfarm" scenery coordinates, one might be able to see if the object can be placed there by (IS). ;-)Hope this information is of interest to those exploring use of FS placeable library objects with Flight1's Instant Scenery in FS9 and FSX! :-)GaryGB

Thanks Arno for the detailed explanation. That was the answer I was hoping for, and my plan was to delete the first single-object .bgl completely after de-compiling it and getting the .mdl out of it.Thanks,Jim

In the past I took fs9 generic geo-referenced objects, decompiled and then recompiled to get rid of any geo-referencing and it worked. Perhaps the same can be done for Scroby Sands Windfarm, I personally don't have the scenery nor tried this but it may work so that you can use the objects in other regions.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi All:Since neither the original FS9 nor the ported FSX version of the wind turbine generator display animation in FSX, we need a 3rd party alternative to use until ACES gets around to fixing the default object animation problem (...in FS-11 perhaps?).Here's an apparent free 3rd party animated wind turbine generator to use for scenery creation; it will require first being compiled into an appropriate FS scenery library format before it can be used by "XML-type" object placer programs for FSX:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6177Hope this helps!:-)GaryGB

Guest UlfB

Thanks GaryGB, it certainly helped!I used the LibraryMaker (tool shipped with Instant Scenery) and it was very easy to add the mdl file to a new library and save it as a bgl file. No warning lights and the windmill doesn't turn towards the wind, but it's better than the default FSX windmill.Ulf B

Guest erbj

Hi UlfHave you tried the "Copenhagen_HarborWindFarm" object from the "Copenhagen.bgl" library situated in FSXSceneryEURWScenery"? I don

Guest UlfB

Thanks Erik,No problem placing windmills in Sweden. Nice with the lights, but they don't turn with the wind. I tried to place a windmill in Florida, but it didnt work.But my problem is solved regarding animated windmills, thanks to all of you!Ulf B :-)