Sign in to follow this  
maxter

I am a pilot!

I am now officially a Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land (PP-ASEL), although it really hasn't sunk in yet. The examiner said I was very well prepared for my oral and other than not having an after engine shutdown checklist, my checkride was excellant. I was soooooo relieved after studying and stressing all weekend. The weather forecast was looking iffy for today, but it turned out to be a beautiful day without a cloud in the sky. The wind was gusty and the air was bumpy though, making for some interesting landings. She didn't talk much except to issue commands, so that was nerve-racking too. She did tell me ahead of time that she would tell me right away if I failed and that she wasn't allowed to give me any second chances, so if she didn't say anything it was going well.I will writeup all of the details soon. Some highlights:- Just missed entering top-secret government installation airspace by 200 feet.- Made a steep descent into the Tracy airport pattern. She said, "What you are doing is OK, *but*, for the comfort of your passengers you might consider circling to loose altitude rather than dive-bombing the airport." Good advice.- She didn't put me in an unusual attitude, she just had me fly with my eyes closed for a few minutes, then told me to open them and recover. I had the airplane trimmed, so I just let go of the yoke and listened for pitch changes. When I opened my eyes, I was in a 15-degree band and had lost 400 feet.- Almost ran her over pushing the plane into the parking space. She advised waiting until she had actually signed the certificate before running her over.I have to give a lot of credit for completing the training in 48 hours to all of my simulator time. Thanks to Rich and the gang at TRI for a great sim and thanks to all of you for making it better. Who wants to go for a ride??ToddPP-ASEL

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Todd, This is wonderful news. As always......

Todd,Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!It's astounding how quicly you finished it, took me like a year to complete mine...Welcome to club... ;-)Alejandro AmigorenaSyracuse, NYAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Todd,Congratulations! Sounds a bit like my checkride... :-)May you have blue skies and tailwinds wherever you go! Now, the real learning begins.My heartfelt congratulatory prayers are with you.

Congratulations!! Excellent News... Are you planning on going for your Instrument Rating?? Mihir

Todd,A hearty congratulations! Now, prepare for all of your flights with the same diligence and care (not as nervously, though) and you will someday be an old pilot. :-)

Hi Todd, Great news! Bet you are relieved to have got the 1st one out of the way?Seriously, Congratulations and as someone else already said: Welcome to the club!:-)Colin

Todd,Many, Many, congratulations :-)and join the club. Many thanks too on letting us join you through your writing about your experiences leading up to this achievement.My examiner told me many moons ago that this was my licence to start learning on my own.It doesnt matter how many hours we each achieve or what we fly we are forever learning, each flight is different.Beware flying is a seductive mistress. She holds you in her grasp demanding a lot from you and giving a lot in return but one word of caution! take her for granted and there is nothing worse than a woman scorned.All the bestPeter

Kudos Todd,as I heard recently:"With great Power comes great Responsibility."Have fun, keep your head in the clouds and your feet on the ground.

Congratulations ToddDo you have a really wide-angle lens to capture the smile that you must have?Happy and safe flying

Way to go!Try to stay fresh all the time. It's easy to get complacent!May you enjoy a lifetime of rewarding, safe flying.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPSEL-KTEBAMD xp2000+ - GF4 Ti4400G4/400 - Radeon32

Congratulations and best of luck to you!!!Wayne

Wow Todd! The highest congratulations -- I really envy what you've done. It's amazing how quickly you've earned your license. I'd love to take a crumb of credit, but I made it through enough hours to know the amount of book time you had to spend on this so give yourself a big pat on the back.So, how are you going to celebrate? A cross-country trip for a vacation??Rich