Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

Why I love this sim.......

G'day all,Fly! II has to have the best whispy, volumetric clouds around. Definately not a wig in sight. Took a flight around Sydney and just got so emersed in the whole simulation. Sure makes you brush up on your instrument flying. :-)But I am biased. :-)Just for the record the cloud settings I use are two layers of "broken" cloud. layer 2 is 1999 to 3999layer 1 is 4999 to 19999A big thanks to Jure for the work he did in producing "big mammas".Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Yes, indeed! Thanks for the posts, Rodger!

Randall Rocke

Guest Dean

Ditto! I often find myself gazing out the window at the clouds while flying. Between Jure's Big Mamas and the right metar information, it's amazing to see the various cloud effects that the sim can create after processing through Infometar.

Guest chezz

Roger,Even the latest sim can't match FLY's volumetric clouds it's just like the real clouds, that's why I like to FLY the Stearman and just feel the whisp of the clouds.:-lol Great shots.chris- rpll

>Roger,>>Even the latest sim can't match FLY's volumetric clouds it's>just like the real clouds, that's why I like to FLY the>Stearman and just feel the whisp of the clouds.:-lol >>Great shots.>????????????? ---- That's somewhat debateableI did beta test the un-named new one, and was always making comparison to the Original FLY clouds along with 3rd party cloud packs (which I highly admired) to make comparisons. In quite a few scenarios --- this latest sim does quite well! IMO--- It's worth taking a look at when released in about 10 days, as the sky now has that nice blue tint that FLY had. I won't kid anyone.......... FLY had the best atmospheric effects of them all!http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24223.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24224.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24225.jpgL.Adamson

G'day Larry,Long time no post mate :-)< Fly! had the best atmospherics of them all>You feeling all right Larry. :-lolSeriously Larry are these pics from 2004? It may be your monitor but the colour saturation seems a little overdone. If the release of 2004 gives clouds like we have had in Fly for the last 4 years then I'm sure everyone will be very happy.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

>Seriously Larry are these pics from 2004? It may be your>monitor but the colour saturation seems a little overdone. >Yes, these are FS2004. The saturation depends on time of day. Here are some "lighter" ones.. http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24237.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24246.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24247.jpgBTW----- I still do read this forum everyday, just not a lot going on lately. I still even surprise others on different forums with those FLYII SoCal and P-51D cockpit "screenies" I have! :)L.Adamson

G'day Larry,I didn't start this thread to be a Fly! versus The other sim. :-)We will just have to agree to disagree.btw I also lurk on the msfs forum and have seen your socal pics there. Why not post those 2004 pics in the other sim forum? I'm sure many would like to see them.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

>G'day Larry,>>I didn't start this thread to be a Fly! versus The other sim. >:-)It won't end that way either. If anyone is interested in the "new" sim.............. fine. If not..........at least I provided a glimps. :)L.Adamson

>We will just have to agree to disagree.Yes, me too.As far as oversaturation is concerned - frankly it was (is) FLY!II's main trait. The oversaturation in ground, sky made me move over to the FS world.Larry's pic with vivid sunset may look oversaturated but here on the west coast we get them (not every day) exactly like that. I don't have FS2004 yet but I downloaded their clouds video and frankly I have not seen equally good clouds ever in FLY or in any other sim. Nothing can touch those clouds. And the sky and its changing subtle colors ... well, don't even get me started on this topic, probably my favorite. Suffice to say that FLY!2k's sky was quite all right for the then contemporary technology but in FLYII they totally blew it. Richard admitted this indirectly during his speech at Lake Tahoe Avsim conference and he blamed it (together with clouds and water reflections) on some staffing issues during FLYII development.At this point I only miss one item from the FLY world - aircraft's ground simulation. Maybe it was buggy (this is what R.Young once said) but at least the foundation was there and I give TRI full credit for it. Lack of independent ground simulation in FS (as some experts explained) is cause of some bizarre unfixable side effects when taxiing.Michael J.

Guest Dean

Larry, You do have an eye for good screenshots. Regardless of the format.

Guest Dean

>At this point I only miss one item from the FLY world ->aircraft's ground simulation. Michael,You are right. For me this is most obvious at the moment the A/C breaks contact with the ground during takeoff. There is the perceived sense of a loss of resistance or friction. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it is there.