Sign in to follow this  
Johan_Dees

To all regarding the AIVIEW.dll

Here is an update on the aiview.dll that I also found on usenet. I think this explains everything. "Just thought I'd let you know, that the new AIVIEW.dll module forisn't all that special. It's just FS2002 in debug mode! This is not tosay that there is not some valuable data to be obtained while in debugmode :)Everything is 100% Microsoft! The author took some liberties byappending his webpage details to Microsoft's window - passing it offas all his own creation :)I have already tweaked my FS2002 to have a 'Debug-Mode' item under theHelp Menu (I replaced the 'Links to Aviation Partners' item). Thishack doesn't require a dll process chewing up resources with menuhooks either. I also don't believe this addon dll is very stable.If there is demand, I could also provide a patch for the above, withmy existing program, or provide a separate patch.The 9% throttle is something I'm investigating at the moment. If Ifind a specific memory value, I'll let you know if this is a betterway to go then the current method I'm using.Andy"Ed

After all of the posts in the other thread about this not being stable - I think that a different method of bringing this display up would be most welcome..... Never heard of "Debug Mode" being mentioned before !!?!?

Thank you for this.I am one suffering CTD's. The Author has very kindly replied to my email enquiry very quickly, saying:"AIView.dll does not make any changes to the registry nor does it make any other changes to FS2002 or your computer configuration. It only adds a [AIDEBUG] section to the FS2002.CFG file."There is no explanation available for the CTD's, but information will be posted to the Alting website as soon as it becomes available.Thanks to Arnold Alting for that information.PH

As a programmer I can say that merely invoking a "module" already installed in FS2K2 would take at the most, 2 lines of code. To put my name in the titlebar, another line. The api calls to find out where everything is located... at most 10.if this is nothing more than an attempt to just invoke MSFS2K2's debug mode then why would the program be so large?I have used a decompiler on the program (aiview.dll) and assure you that it makes more calls to memory locations than it does invoking any debug DLL (the only dll it does call from within FS2K2 is util.dll and only reads values it has available instead of being a program that merely invoked another). Andy, I am surprised you did not notice that as well.Sorry... but it irks me when someone takes credit away from those who it is due (not the original author of this post... but the guy posting that it's just debug mode).-j

From the Readme that comes with AIView.dll:>With this module you can enable FS2002's hidden tool "AI Tactical Display",a tool that displays a map with information about the AI Aircraft (ATC traffic).

I only posted this because some people were having problems with the sim crashing. I was especially refering to this line from his post---- "I also don't believe this addon dll is very stable."Here is another message posted by Bill on usenet this afternoon."There has been a claim advanced that this new 'tool' is a simple hack of theMS default "debug mode." Being the trusting soul that I am, I simply acceptedthis claim at face value, and didn't take the proper steps to verify thatclaim... However!Having read the results of a decompilation of the .dll and taken note itssize, number of lines of code and calls to other, FS .dll files, I can stateunequivocally that it does far more than simply invoke the 'debug mode.'As a result of this, I'm going to decompile it myself and conduct a closerscrutiny of the contents, before repeating any more unsubstantiated, sweepinggeneralizations!What more is actually being done will require a more detailed examination, butit is far too complex to be a 'simple hack.' I need to finish my 'homework'before writing any review.My profoundest apologies to the author, should he happen to read this!Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa... :)Bill"Ed

Hi Jason.I thought I would post this here incase anyone else is intrested.There are several ways of accessing usenet. The first and most common is to subscribe to them using your isp. Most isp's carry part of the usenet groups. If your isp has usenet you will have to ask them how to set up the account as each one is different. Another way is to buy a subscription through one of the usenet providers, this can become expensive.A couple are Easynews and Supernews. The third way is to go to Google and access the newsgroups that way. I don't know how complete it is or exactly how you use it.http://www.google.com/grphp?hl=enYou can set up Outlook Express to use usenet, but the favorite program is Forte Agent. They also have a free copy that you can use. I have been using Usenet for years so if there are any questions, just ask.Ed

No one asked but I will, how do you get into debug mode?Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johd