Sign in to follow this  

Whats your favorite Flight Unlimited?

Mine is FU2 (though I havent played FU1 before) With beautiful location, easy to use weather system and great framrates (and maybe i feel its the best because it was my first time with the series) it is my favorite. Whats yours?

Flight Unlimited 2 was the most innovative (in my opinion), but I have to say FU3, simply because it has enough expandability to allow for significant improvements to be made.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I only play FU3 now, and with all the addons and improved graphics and weather, it's better than FU2. I have a fast computer so framerate is not an issue.However, I would still have to say that FU2 was my favorite. It was the sim that really got me into flight sims.For its time, the sim was amazing. It was the first sim with interactive ATC, the graphics look good even compared to modern sims.I didn't get FU1 until after FU2, but considering the sim came out in 94-95 something, it's very good. The scenery areas are tiny, though, and the game gets boring after a while. BTW, has anyone tried importing the FU1 scenery into FU3? :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

For the moment I use FU3 as my defailt sim.That said I will rate FU2 as the best sim "out of the box".I've spend many hundred hours flying FU2 with the"Pier Glass Aviation"and for FU3 I miss the outstanding towerview they implimented in FU2.I also think the AI-planes in FU2 is better, and more realistic thanFU3.Lars Peter.:-wave

You're certainly right about the AI planes being more realistic in FU2, but when Ansgar finishes his high detail AI pack (in....erm....a few years time :-) ), the AI planes in FU3 will be far superior !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

I have FU1 in both DOS & W/95 versions... neither is installed at the moment. It had some great pluses for the time. The scenery looked terrible until you got several hundred feet AGL... get very high and you could see the repitition. The manual didn't encourage you to land... it talked about resetting the "game" and briefly mentioned that you could try to land if you wanted to. It did break major ground for a graphic flight sim. It was tons of fun but got old before too long. :)FU2 as most of you guys seem to agree had a lot going for it. The main negative was cartoonish looking planes. It gave us the biggest FU native scenery and in many ways the best scenery area ever created for a PC based flight sim. Many people don't like the pallet... I have never minded it... I love the detail. FU3 offered a great dynamic weather system that FS is just now catching up with... but I for one loved the weather in FU2... it was much more frame friendly... and nobody has created more frieghtening thunder & lightning... nobody! :-eekFU3 is of course the basis for this forum... my favorite sim ever! :) The base scenery is my original home area... I love it! I often wished that it had a toggle to opt between the FU2 & FU3 weather systems. The planes were a vast improvement over their FU2 counterparts... except for the FU2 holdovers that didn't get updated. I could go on for ages about the things that were left out of FU3 but what is the point... "we" have fixed that. I still wish we could opt for the FU2 weather... I don't want to delete the FU3 weather mind you... but would love to have the option. FU3 is the champ. :)I wonder when my copy of FS04 will get here? :-shy

Guest R_Driscoll

Two things convinced me to buy FU3:1) The FU2 demo - I flew it once, thought it was junk and couldn't control anything, a year later reloaded and tried again - couldn't put it down, esp the rainy / thunderous weather, the amazing scenery, the feel of the plane - totally hooked. 2) I compared available sims, very angry at the poor quality and lack of progress of FS98, found FU3 offered 4 m/pixel res, end of story. I bought FU3, and soon bought FU2 as well and reloaded both.I think I've just about got my money's worth.:) RobD.

I'll definitely have to say FU III :-)First of all, I never had the first Flight Unlimited so I missed out on those fond memories of yesteryear. Secondly, I bought FU2 after I bought FU3, to add SanFran to FU3.I later installed FU2 as a stand-alone sim and checked it out. The terrain was very familiar but the aircraft were not up to FU3 standards. Further, FU2 will not accept a joykeys.cfg and it will not accept rudder pedals. And then there's FLED. I may be exposing some ignorance here but isn't it quite evident that a later version is better? I mean, whatever FU2 did or does FU3 does in the same way or better. Do some of you think that there are features that have been lost? best regards,Hans Petter

Some features are lost, like the adventures (those need to be converted), someone mentioned the thunderstorms.The thing is that FU3 is evolutionary, while FU2 was revolutionary. Of course, the latest version is (almost) always the best, but FU2 did so much that FS98 never did. FU3 just added some new features on top of that.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

Although FU2/3 are far more "generic" and enjoyable sims, I still regularly use FU1 when I can. Its flight model was absolutely stunning (and its crash model, too! :-)) Its scenery was lo-res and non-accelerated, but that sim is still the only choice if you want to be serious with acrobatics. And there were the hoop courses - they were really terrific! I really miss them in the new sims. And there were the lessons... Real lessons, with the instructor showing the manoeuvre over and over, then letting you try it, and commenting in real time... I still remember my excitement when I first got an 8 at the "rolling turn" manoeuvre - the toughest manoeuvre I ever tried!FU3 is my main sim today, I really love it for flying "seeing out of the window" - the scenery is really great. But for real adrenaline flight, FU1 is still better IMO!Cristian

Yes, you are correct about FU3 being evolutionary and FU2 being revolutionary. However, we have all contributed towards propelling FU3 far beyond its design specifications....which makes me rather annoyed that we do not have access to the source code. Electronic Arts and the scattered wreckage of Looking Glass Studios do not even seem to have any interest in paying us all a visit, never mind using the source code itself. It's about time that those who are responsible for elevating FU3 to its current state should be allowed to enhance it even further.Yeah, like that's going to happen......Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png