Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Terrain Detail Improvement - Revisited

Guest jonpoint

Wanna improve your horizons? Simply? No files to download or install, if you can type 3 numbers, it's easy!Some of you may have seen this already. I posted some info about it in another thread recently but I was concerned that there may be some bad side-effect. Since then, a number of people have checked it out with no problems so here it is! I'll warn you first - there is a slight framerate drop. That said, even if you have a slower PC, try it anyway, just to see what you've been missing ;)To do it, open you find the line in your 'flt3.cfg' file: opt_terrain_detail xxx (where xxx is a number between 0 and 103)Change it to:opt_terrain_detail 999A couple of notes:1. When you go to the options screen, the terrain slider has vanished. That's OK, it's somewhere outside the monitor...2. DON'T try to adjust it. This will reset it back to '103' and you'll need to edit your cfg file again.In case you think it's too hard, here's some 'before & after' shots to prove it (before above, after below). Our beloved mountain! Note the foreground differences too. I wasn't expecting that :-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/43523.jpgAgain but further away - looks like a mountain now...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/43525.jpgWestern mountains from Seattle - nice!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/43526.jpgAnd yes, you CAN see the mountains to the east as well.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/43527.jpgI think you'll agree that it's a new way of seeing FU3 ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

You make a good case. I think the palette work and your distance work, and your about to be released gliding package, could make a substantial difference to this region. This has always been my favourite area.

Wow! That's wonderful. Thanks for the info!Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#6f0000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest twsimfan

Jon,"Our beloved mountain!"Rainier of course... love that mountain... lots of mountains here in Colorado but none like that. I miss it and I was just there in August."Western mountains from Seattle - nice!"Very nice... the Olympics!"And yes, you CAN see the mountains to the east as well."You sure can see the Cascades!Just bugging you... I know you new that stuff. ;-)Those settings look great. I'm going to have to find some time on Sunday to try them out. Thanks. :)

My computer stoped after I entered this value. I set 150 & I could see distant clouds.B.Adamski

Guest ChrisD

Just tried Your patch.It WORKS! :-)Thanks a lot.ChrisD

Bogdan, this illustrates why more powerful PCs are good, even for an old sim as FU3. What are your current specs (processor, ram and video card)?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Dear All,I'm glad that most of you are doing OK. Bogdan, I am surprised at your lockup! My neighbour has a 550mHz PC and it works for him - although it pulls the framerate below 10fps :-(I will make one thing clear, if I may;RETURN THE SETTING TO NORMAL (1-103) BEFORE USING FLED!!!!Otherwise, it takes about 5 seconds for anything to happen, every time you click on something. It doesn't hang, it just gets worefully slow, even with a 1.5GHz PC.Just thought you scenery folk would like to know ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Tom,Yes, I am aware of the names but I assumed many users weren't. Last time I loosely used the word 'mountains' (as in Grampian Mountains), someone corrected me and said they were just called the Grampians.Maybe to a Scotsman :-lolOther times, people attach the word 'mountains' to something to make it sound more romantic. I went for a drive last weekend to 'The Watagans'. The what? Watagans. Mountains? If you think so. Forests? Definitely. Hills? I suppose. Dpends who you talk to. To the locals, it's just 'Watagans'. To city folk, it's 'mountains' 'coz thats what they see when they drive past. To environmentalists it 'forest' 'coz they couldn't even pretend to save a mountain :-lolAccording to the official register, no official place name exists although the range is called 'Watagan Ranges'.But, I do stand corrected - as usual. I suppose as long as it improves your view, it doesn't matter what they're called :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Yes and when using 2.4GHz Fled will blink and change resolution of the texture all the time - creasy. :-wave agtim

Guest TFT1

Hi Jon,how did you get the clouds like in pic 1 and 2? :-eek ThxTFT

C 1200, 330MB, V5500, but this needs 'bigger' processor than other things.B.Adamski

Guest juvat2

Hello Bogdan,While at home for the hurrican repairs, I had time to apply the change. It worked very well. No severe loss in frame rate as I remember now.My home built pc: Amd 1.44, 383mb pc133sdram, V5-5500pci using amega merlin driver, dx9, Aopen Ak73Pro(a) mobo, 350w power supply. No over clocking.My pc doesn't seem to be much more than your specs, thought maybe posting my pc specs will help you. Maybe the amega merlin driver made the diff?You all take care,JimB.

Guest jonpoint

"how did you get the clouds like in pic 1 and 2?"Er, I could send you my cfg and weather files if you like. It's just my version of 'cloudy, still day' ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest TFT1

Dear Jon,yes I would like to get the cfg.ThxTFT