Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Hi guys! Plus a question.

Guest twsimfan

Hi guys,I've been reading the forum from time to time but I haven't been doing a lot of simming... flight or otherwise I'm afraid. Still the health problems then the past several months this system has been in worse health than I am. It locks up... sometimes a lot.Well I'm going to have to start doing more simming if I am ever going to justify the new system I ordered the other day.Does anybody have any idea if FU3 will work in in Vista? And if we get that far how about Vista 64? (Which is what I'll have late next week.)I see that Andre & Jon are still cranking out planes for FU3... you guys are something else! :)

Guest fu3

Tom,Sorry to hear about the health issues and the lockups. Pity we can't buy new body parts like more memory (I'd go for that one...) but then WE don't need to be upgraded/replaced every 2-3 years. I would however, love to be able to reinstall trashed OS files (i.e. fix DNA problems) and be able to perform a soft restart if I get sick :-lolFU3 indeed seems to work in Vista. Apart from somebody here mentioning it some time ago, one of my neighbours has Vista and he copied his entire FU3 to DVDs, then back to the new PC (i.e. not a 'proper' install) and it works fine. Better than mine - but then he has a lightspeed PC with 2GB of RAM etc. Also, due to sight problems, he doesn't run Aero or much candy at all and I've heard that these can severely reduce a system's speed. That said, one can run FU3 in a window (I believe I saw it running that way somewhere) which 2K/XP won't do.As to Vista64, it shouldn't make any difference (but don't quote me). What I do know from XP64 is that unless you have the software that needs it, there is no advantage over 32 bit, and a few compatibility problems arise here and there.My main fears are things like sound system compatibility, but there's got to be a way ;)As to 'cranking' things out, until MS put a proper modelling system together, we don't have much choice. I used to like playing airline pilot and dragging big iron around the skies until I started pilot training. When I found out what I enjoyed about flying (the seat-of-the-pants feel, wonderful scenery views and that 'unlimited' feeling), I realised that you don't get that with heavies. Too many procedures, too much responsibility and no opportunity to go "that looks cool, let's go over THERE". Having sat in a number of cockpits over the years, I have decided that commercial pilots have one of the hardest jobs in the world and I don't see that as fun. Case in point; no commercial pilots I know use flight sims for relaxation. After a trans-Tasman flight one day I asked the pilot what he thought about the 737-800 and he said it was a 'pig'. I asked "no fun to fly?" and he said that he got more enjoyment driving his RX-8 home on the freeway at night. Or sailing. So, here we are!Hmmmm, maybe I should copy the last 2 paragraphs to an MSFS forum and listen for the screams? :-lol:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest twsimfan

Hi Jon,"Sorry to hear about the health issues and the lockups. Pity we can't buy new body parts like more memory (I'd go for that one...) but then WE don't need to be upgraded/replaced every 2-3 years."Yeah it would be nice to be able to replace a few body parts here and there. And yes, I could use some new memory but I think I'd start with a new spine... or legs. I saw an interview with Alex Zinardi... the racer who lost his legs... a few days ago. I swear he gets around better on his replacements than I do on my original equipment. Oh well... everything I have works I guess I should be thankful for that. :)This system is 5 years old this week. Oh it has had 2 new video cards and new disk drives along the way but it is getting pretty old by computer standards. I think the lockups are caused by some faulty memory. I was going to replace it but it turns out to be Dell propritory stuff and it would cost me $600. At this point I'd rather put that money toward a new system."As to Vista64, it shouldn't make any difference (but don't quote me). What I do know from XP64 is that unless you have the software that needs it, there is no advantage over 32 bit, and a few compatibility problems arise here and there."I worried over if I should get Vista 32 or 64 but I have been told that most of the driver problems for 64 are resolved. At least my system will come with good video and sound drivers so that should get me most of the way there. I will have to worry about my joystick and keyboard and probably some other things I haven't thought of yet.The new one will have some pretty good power:CoolerMaster Stacker 830 TowerAsus Striker Extreme MotherboardQX6850 overclocked to 3.66GHz4GB of Mushkin Xtreme DDR2 with heat spreader2 X nVidia 8800GTSo I should be able to overcome some of the 32 bit program on a 64 bit OS slow down. The system may be overkill in some areas but I know my wife wont let me have another one for at least 5 more years... 10 or 20 if she had her way... so I figured I better get something that can last me a while."Case in point; no commercial pilots I know use flight sims for relaxation. After a trans-Tasman flight one day I asked the pilot what he thought about the 737-800 and he said it was a 'pig'. I asked "no fun to fly?" and he said that he got more enjoyment driving his RX-8 home on the freeway at night. Or sailing. So, here we are!":-lol I can understand that to a point. But I'd give anything to be able to go spend some more time in the big sims at the United Airlines Training Center. I'd go every day if they'd let me and it didn't cost money. ;)"Hmmmm, maybe I should copy the last 2 paragraphs to an MSFS forum and listen for the screams? :-lol"Oh please no! ;) Stag has one of those gold moderator icons now and he'd kill us. :)Seriously FU will always have it's appeal and would I'm sure be the leader still if Looking Glass had survived. I say "FU" because while FU3 was easier on the eyes in many ways I still think FU2 had the best weather system ever. Oh I know that FU3 had "dynamic weather" but a heavy duty storm in FU2 is still the most real & scary thing I've every experienced in any computer game.The 1st version of FS that got one up on FU IMO was FS04 (aka FS9 or FS-CoF). It may not have the modeling but it is a lot of fun. FSX is a whole different animal. I'm hoping that with my new system I can begin to see some of it's potential. It is playable on my current system (or was before the lockups) but only with some of the prettier details turned off.But FU3 is still the only sim that allows me to find the individual buildings of my old high school or my mom's old house. At least without an addon that takes a half hour to load. :)Good talking with you Jon... :-wave

Guest twsimfan

Andre,"It was the 32bit version. No idea if it will go with 64bit may be in a compatibility mode."I'm sure the majority of the programs I'll be running in the near future will be 32 bit. The only real advantages I'll get from the 64 bit OS are more memory and I think a 64 bit OS will take better advantage of a 64 bit CPU. I think. (-:Seriously I will have a lot to learn when this new system gets here. Or maybe a lot to unlearn beore I start on the new stuff.Thanks for the comeback & the info Andre! :)

Good grief, Tom. That system will be just about the fastest thing on the planet :-eek

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

It's mighty tempting, Chris :-lolRegards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

At least FU3 was the first sim to get an S6...I've already had the 'are you doing an FSX version with flexing wings?' email (no). I always get at least one. 'Can you put some floats on the FS2002 Staggerwing?' :-grr 'How do I import the DHC6 cockpit into my...?' *:-*I remember nearly giving it all away some years ago because I said that I wasn't interested in doing a version of my classic VH-ABR DC-3 livery for MSFS and got abused and spammed silly for about 2 weeks. Thank goodness Ansgar calmed me down ;)Kids... Regards,Jon Point

Hey Jon,Can you do me a S6 with full glass cockpit, quadracycle retractable gear and reclining seats? Green with white flashes would be nice...:-hah CheersBruce H

Yeay! :-jumpy That's the one, although I can't quite make out the reclining seats.Now what to call it.... how about "The Platypus" :7 At least with the quadracycle gear maybe I won't bend the wingtips as much.CheersBruce H

Guest Stearman

Hi Tom, good to read from you after quite a while :-) From your words I understand you've got your sciatica problems "controlled" to some extent now, or I hope so anyway.About your new system: you're going to make a big step now, aren't you?I'd like to know how things go with it in the upcoming weeks.On my part, I've already quit racing against Bill Gates to keep my system up to date:Last Xmas I received FSX as a gift, and I did my best to run it decently on my old trusty P4, 3GHz, XP Pro machine, including a new video card (Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS) for which I forked out about $500. It was all to no avail: FSX is obviously designed for a newer generation of machines and OSs, and until I'm prepared to buy these, it will be catching dust on my upper shelf.However, with my revamped system, I have really rediscovered FS2004 now, and I'm enjoying it more than EVER. Add to that my everlasting addiction to GPL, and my recent immersion in the joys of rFactor, and you'll realize I'm more than satisfied with my current system and simming activity.Who knows, maybe when FS11 comes out, I might consider something else... :)Best wishes to you and yours,Daniel

Guest CaptRolo

Hi Tom; good to hear from you. HI all .Good news for Flight Unlimited as it will be around for a long time .HOW? Just this; There are Programs developed For IT;s programers,developers, called virtual ware .One is VM Ware .With this you can install it on windows or linux and then install other operating systems on top or within another window. Microsoft has developed one ,But VMware is better .You need a powerful system to use it because it does use some system resourses. That being said ,you can reinstall windows 98se or any OS just for FU3. I am going to upgrade again soon to Quad core and will be doing this . VM ware is free but you have to register .Your new system should qualify .P.S. The things we do To keep flying FU4 ; MY oh MY !!!CaptRolo