Sign in to follow this  
Korundar

P3D v3.3 always crashing

Hello all,

I hope that someone here could help me because I'm really going mad. 

P3D v.3.3 crashes everytime I move the focus on another windows, while if I keep the focus on P3D I could fly forever without issues. In years of flight simulation I never ever heard something like that.

The error in the event viewer is normally related to kernelbase.dll, sometimes it's menus.dll while a few time it simply closes without any error.

I read the guide on AVSIM and I tried anything I could try. Disabled all the addons, lowered the settings, changed videocard drivers and so on, but it still crashes even with default aircrafts and sceneries. 

My specs are i6700K not OC (never), 16GB RAM, GTX770 and Win 10. They were the same before a system reinstall due to a virus and all was smooth and working. Nothing has changed since then and all other applications included heavy games and 3d software work perfectly.

I know that a full P3D reinstall could solve the issue but I'm not so sure and wouldn't try to avoid it, if possible.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

MSI Tomahawk B550, Ryzen 5800X3D, Gigabyte RTX 4070 Gaming OC, LG Ultragear 27GP850P, 32GB DDR4 RAM, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

I read the guide on AVSIM and I tried anything I could try. Disabled all the addons, lowered the settings, changed videocard drivers and so on, but it still crashes even with default aircrafts and sceneries.

UserAccessControls, Anti-virus, Anti-Malware, Defender programs disabled or set to make sure they do not scan your P3D folder?  It is installed in a non-default folder such as K:\Prepar3D_V3?

When you disable all of your add-ons, move the p3d.cfg, scenery.cfg, and any dll.xml/exe.xml (they are in two folders, one in the P3D.cfg folder and possibly another in the scenery.cfg), you still get crashes?  That's the same as the default installation.  Was it ever running after reinstalling your system and P3D because of a virus?  A kernelbase.dll error is most like caused by high settings.  Your system is not capable of running P3D at high settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

UserAccessControls, Anti-virus, Anti-Malware, Defender programs disabled or set to make sure they do not scan your P3D folder?  It is installed in a non-default folder such as K:\Prepar3D_V3?

When you disable all of your add-ons, move the p3d.cfg, scenery.cfg, and any dll.xml/exe.xml (they are in two folders, one in the P3D.cfg folder and possibly another in the scenery.cfg), you still get crashes?  That's the same as the default installation.  Was it ever running after reinstalling your system and P3D because of a virus?  A kernelbase.dll error is most like caused by high settings.  Your system is not capable of running P3D at high settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim, thank you for your answer.

P3D is installed in the default folder on a SSD and it's completely excluded by Windows Defender Scan (the only AV I have). As explained on the guide I moved the various files outside their folders and the first flight with the Baron 58 has gone well. Now I'll try to move one by one back and see what happens.

Don't think my system is not capable of running those settings because they were exactly the same before the Windows reinstall ;) Most likely is some addon, very hard to know which.

Strange thing is that if I keep the focus on P3D I could fly for hours, while as soon as I move it on another window I get the crash. 

Regards,

Massimiliano

MSI Tomahawk B550, Ryzen 5800X3D, Gigabyte RTX 4070 Gaming OC, LG Ultragear 27GP850P, 32GB DDR4 RAM, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

Don't think my system is not capable of running those settings because they were exactly the same before the Windows reinstall ;) Most likely is some addon, very hard to know which.
Strange thing is that if I keep the focus on P3D I could fly for hours, while as soon as I move it on another window I get the crash.

You should never use the same p3d.cfg used in a previous installation of P3D (same goes with FSX).  The P3D.cfg is probably the most important component of the installation. 

I am not understanding at all what you mean by moving P3D to another Window.  I do not think you can do that.  You mean a component, like a panel gauge to another monitor's window?  That crashes my system all of the time if I do that.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You should never use the same p3d.cfg used in a previous installation of P3D (same goes with FSX).  The P3D.cfg is probably the most important component of the installation. 

I am not understanding at all what you mean by moving P3D to another Window.  I do not think you can do that.  You mean a component, like a panel gauge to another monitor's window?  That crashes my system all of the time if I do that.

Best regards,

Jim

I've never used a previous p3d.cfg.

I'm not moving P3D to another window, maybe I didn't explain myself well  :wink:

I use P3D in windowed mode so during a flight a can do other things at the same time. If I'm in the P3D window and don't leave it, I don't have any issue but as soon as I move the focus on Chrome or ASN or any other program, P3D freezes.

Regards,

Massimiliano

I've never used a previous p3d.cfg.

I'm not moving P3D to another window, maybe I didn't explain myself well  :wink:

I use P3D in windowed mode so during a flight a can do other things at the same time. If I'm in the P3D window and don't leave it, I don't have any issue but as soon as I move the focus on Chrome or ASN or any other program, P3D freezes.

Regards,

Massimiliano

Hi Massimiliano,

I just wanted to be sure.  Apologize for the confusion.  Most likely you are not running P3D as an administrator (see page 8, AVSIM CTD Guide).  Go to the P3D.exe in your main folder, right click and select properties.  When open, click on the compatibility tab and look all the way down at the bottom.  You want to change the setting for All Users, not just you so click on Change setting for All Users.  See if that fixes the problem.  The menu.dll error is common and usually has an unhandled exception code of 000041d.  Microsoft.net crashes your computer when not set up properly. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

again thank you for your help.

I always run P3D as an administrator.

Now I'm doing another flight with even old scenery.cfg back in its folder and it seems to work smoothly. Last thing to do is to move back also p3d.cfg and see what happens. At this point I really think that you were right and settings were too high, maybe too autogen.

Regards,

Massimiliano