Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Tom's Photo On AVSIM Front Page

I am thinking it will be a permanent fixture if the rest of the board agrees.  It's nice to see Tom when I'm looking around AVSIM.

Anyone who is better than me at Photoshop is welcome to design a memorial banner for him.

I am new here, so I don't want this to appear as disrespectful.

I find the idea of that picture with a black RIP ribbon being on the front page permanently to be morbid.

I didn't know Tom Allensworth personally.  Perhaps he would like perpetual mourning of his death.  But, I bet he would prefer that everyone recognize his great contributions and then move on with life.

I didn't have my late wife buried on our front lawn so that I would have a reminder of her death every day that I drive up the drive.  I visit her and chat once a week.  I have even been known to miss a day once in a while, but she doesn't seem to mind.

I suggest a reasonable period of mourning (perhaps a month or two), and then, as with Tom, we move on.  Of course there should be a permanent memorial to the man and to his contribution to our hobby -- just not on the front page.  From my perspective, that is almost disrespectful in a Madison Avenue sort of way.

RIP Tom Allensworth.

FWIW

I would like to see the photo stay on the front page, but I agree that the black ribbon should be removed after a suitable period of time.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I would like to see the photo stay on the front page, but I agree that the black ribbon should be removed after a suitable period of time.

Agreed. No-one mourns forever.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi,

After an appropriate amount of time, the mourning band can be removed. But I believe, his photo should remian, with a subpage to Tom's/ AVSIM's history.

With all due respect to the new gentlemen here at AVSIM, there is a big difference between burring an individual on your front lawn and a photo on a web page. Lets keep things in perspective, I'm sure you didn't remove all the photos of your wife from your home.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Yes.  That sounds reasonable to me.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.