Sign in to follow this  
coolmanak

Survey: Helicopter Interest

Would you join a helicopter based Virtual Airline?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a helicopter based VA?

• Yes
    • Depends
    • No

Hello guys. I've noticed that when it comes to VATSIM, helicopters are in few numbers. I'd like to change that by getting together an organized community of helicopter enthusiasts who actively use VATSIM (A VA in other words, and yes I'm aware that there is already one), but first it was suggested that I see the interest levels. So I have just a couple questions for you FS enthusiasts:#1. Would you join a helicopter-based Virtual Airline? If you wouldn't, why? Would a new approach to a heli VA change your mind?#2. What kind of helicopter opperation would you like to see in a newly started VA? Transportation of cargo? Military? Scenic or taxi flugs?#3. What level of realism would you like to see in a newly started helicopter based VA? Beginner we-don't-care-if-you-crashed-into-the-trees or a heavily realistic one, or something inbetween?#4. What kinds of areas would you most enjoy flying in for helicopter flights? Swiss Alp sort of things, or more of a city opp deal?#5. What kinds of helicopters would you like to see in a helicopter based VA? Lighter single engines or larger heavy helos?Thanks for answering these questions, as it will greatly influence the decisions made to help bring more helicopter traffic to VATSIM.

Guest DeskPilot

#1. Would you join a helicopter-based Virtual Airline? If you wouldn't, why? Would a new approach to a heli VA change your mind? Probably not, but that is true of every VA. I enjoy the comraderie of multiplayer but when I host often people have trouble connecting to my session. My choice of aircraft to fly is heavily influenced by what aircraft are being used in existing sessions. Then of course there is just plain mood. An aproach like Intrepid Airlines uses for operations might put me over the top with a heli VA however.#2. What kind of helicopter opperation would you like to see in a newly started VA? Transportation of cargo? Military? Scenic or taxi flugs?You missed a major one... Medevac! A scenery that contains hospital helipads acurately placed would be great. The rooftop ones would be tougher but I wouldn't mind if the building didn't look exactly the same if it was at they had the right AGL and objects aproximating surrounding obstructions. But any airline that does plenty of confined area ops would be great. 5. What kinds of helicopters would you like to see in a helicopter based VA? Lighter single engines or larger heavy helos?Well I guess the lighter ones... up to about Bell 412 size. But acurate flight models are much more important.Thanks for answering these questions, as it will greatly influence the decisions made to help bring more helicopter traffic to VATSIM.

Here's a new question for you guys:Would you join a helicopter VA if it also encorporated fixed wing aircraft? Would you try both helicopters and fixed wing in the VA, or just join for the fixed wing and ignore the helos?I'm currently in the process of developing a VA and I'm just trying to figure out what to do to meet peoples needs. Running a website is expensive and time consuming, and I'd hate for it all to go to waste!

I responded to the survey, but the real answer is that virtual airline flying does not interest me at this point, whether fixed or rotary wing. Most of the time I have for sim flying is devoted to free form flying to explore the world I've never seen, as well as recreate memories from actual flying days. I do this in both fixed wing and helicopters. I don't have anything against VA's and respect those that like to engage in this type of flying, but the simple answer to the stated question is NO. I don't have any idea if I'm alone and the only one that might skew the survey results, but perhaps the true question is, "If interested in VA flying, would you join a helicopter VA?"Happy flying and best success to your endeaver.GW

#1. Would you join a helicopter-based Virtual Airline? If you wouldn't, why? Would a new approach to a heli VA change your mind?Yes I would.#2. What kind of helicopter opperation would you like to see in a newly started VA? Transportation of cargo? Military? Scenic or taxi flugs?Offshore flying, or rescue ops.#3. What level of realism would you like to see in a newly started helicopter based VA? Beginner we-don't-care-if-you-crashed-into-the-trees or a heavily realistic one, or something inbetween?Something for both crowds, keep it real, but have some headroom for those who don't have the knowledge or interest in doing everything by the book all the time.#4. What kinds of areas would you most enjoy flying in for helicopter flights? Swiss Alp sort of things, or more of a city opp deal?North sea.#5. What kinds of helicopters would you like to see in a helicopter based VA? Lighter single engines or larger heavy helos?Super PumasSo my kind of heli VA is based on CHC and Bristow. :(

Most of the VA's require you to use a specific plane or helicopter which is usually payware, Not everyone can afford payware.

Guest Norberto_Rivera
Most of the VA's require you to use a specific plane or helicopter which is usually payware, Not everyone can afford payware.
Most VA's I've ever seen in 6 years of simming have freeware fleets available for download from their sites. I've been a member of a VA for those 6 years and have tried two others for short stints during that time. I've also participated in joint GFI's and other events that allow me to interact with other VA pilots. I think there are simmers out there for every VA. The interests are far and wide. The biggest factor I have seen in VA involvement is the structure and limitations. Is online flying required? Are peer-to-peer connections an option? What is the rank/equipment progression? One of the biggest factors I have noticed however is the forum atmosphere. Do pilots really interact with each other and enjoy being a part of the community or does everyone just file their PIREPs and go about their business. If your pilots aren't involved and there is not a community-type feeling in your site/forums odds are your VA will not last long.I fly mainly fixed-wing airliners on VATSIM. I enjoy flying helicopters, mainly Bell 206's, 407's, 412's, as well as SH-60's, A-Stars and Dauphins. (In the r/w I work part-time as an observer for a sheriff's dept. aviation unit and we fly a Bell 206) When it comes to helicopters I will fly just about anywhere, not just around my home airport area (KATL). I like to practice standard maneuvers, hovers, landings on odd/unusual locations. In the world of helos it is more common to have emergency-based operations like search and rescue, law enforcement, medevac, surveillance, traffic, etc. The problem is that on VATSIM you need prior permission before simulating any type of emergency (if you go by the rules, which not all pilots do) When we fly through Atlanta's Class B we call the tower 20 miles out, identify ourselves and state our location and intentions. If we are pursuing a vehicle through the approach path Air Tran will get spun so we can get through even during rush hour. A VATSIM controller would be less inclined to do that, not to mention that most controllers I have come across are not familiar with how to handle a helicopter. (direct departures, approaches and such) Having said all that, I think they key to any successful helicopter-based VA is going to be variety in operations, possibly a checkride system, and heavy coordination with VATSIM for online events as well as daily operations. I would advise against concentrating your operations around a specific geographical area. There are plenty of sceneries throughout the FS world with HLZ's that you can use. /2 1/2 cents

#1. Would you join a helicopter-based Virtual Airline? If you wouldn't, why? Would a new approach to a heli VA change your mind?
Most probably not, 'cause I have very limited time left for virtual-flying and as such would not be interested in having to do scheduled flights during that time. however, a loose bunch of H/C pilots having fun doin' flight together from time to time could change my mind. ;)
#2. What kind of helicopter opperation would you like to see in a newly started VA? Transportation of cargo? Military? Scenic or taxi flugs?
I prefer military VFR traffic, SAR too. Cargo flight in the backcountry or into rough terrain are fine for me too.
#3. What level of realism would you like to see in a newly started helicopter based VA? Beginner we-don't-care-if-you-crashed-into-the-trees or a heavily realistic one, or something inbetween?
Fly as realistic as we can while still keeping it fun. As far as VA Orga is concerned......well, try not to create a Kindergarten, but, find a level challenging enough to still be fun.
#4. What kinds of areas would you most enjoy flying in for helicopter flights? Swiss Alp sort of things, or more of a city opp deal?
Best area would be a city like Tokyo, where you can do intensive "downtown flyin'" and still be in coastal environment, island hopping or in the japanese alps in just about no time.
#5. What kinds of helicopters would you like to see in a helicopter based VA? Lighter single engines or larger heavy helos?
Well, as I do only fly Bell UH-1D/H Choppers, try an educated guess... ;)
Thanks for answering these questions, as it will greatly influence the decisions made to help bring more helicopter traffic to VATSIM.
You are welcome.

Guest jimmyjohn87

Whats UP ?

Guest michel007more

According to the information VATSIM has the goal is to keep the simulation as close as possible to real-life aviation procedures, including realistic procedural standards and radio phraseology.