Sign in to follow this  
ymh1300

Out of Memory with windows 7 64 bit

I have FS2004 running on machine running Windows 7-64 bit,an I7 and 12 GB of RAM. Lately, when flying long haul flights with both PMDG 747 and Level D 767, FS crashes to the desktop and I receive a message that my system has run out memory. I have read that in some cases it is due to memory leak. It only happens after about one hour and half of flying. I have read about the 3GB switch, do I need it for a 64 bit windows 7 version. If it is due to a memory leak, what is causing that? Add on aircraft? AI aircraft? Sceneries? and what is the best way to isolate which addonn is causing this.I have all of WOAI ai flights, plus many others downloaded and others I created myself. I also have over 500 scenery addons, both comercial and freeware. How do i start debugging if that is what is causing this issue?ThanksJuan

Did you patch your FS9.exe to be large address aware?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

You do not need to edit a boot ini as suggested in that thread. That is for 32bit systems.For 64bit all you need to do is edit the FS9.EXE to be LAA using this tool (make a back up of your FS9.EXE first)http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

You do not need to edit a boot ini as suggested in that thread. That is for 32bit systems.For 64bit all you need to do is edit the FS9.EXE to be LAA using this tool (make a back up of your FS9.EXE first)http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Thank you both Egbert and Altstiff for your help, I will try it and let you know,Juan

Update:I backed up the FS9.exe file and I downloded and applied the switch. I loaded a long flightplan EDDM-YSSY and I took off in the PMDG747. After about an hour it crashed. This time I did not get the out of memory message I have been getting for FS2004, this time it wasn't and FS2004 crash I got the blue screen.Any ideas anybody?ThanksJuan

Update:I backed up the FS9.exe file and I downloded and applied the switch. I loaded a long flightplan EDDM-YSSY and I took off in the PMDG747. After about an hour it crashed. This time I did not get the out of memory message I have been getting for FS2004, this time it wasn't and FS2004 crash I got the blue screen.Any ideas anybody?ThanksJuan
Sounds strange Juan. Did you see any error code on the blue screen? Since when did this start happening? Did you change Hardware/Software recently?

If the blue screen keep occurring, you might need to bump up your memory voltage. I would suggest going to your memory mfg help forum, give them your configuration, and they can tell you if you need to make some voltage adjustments in the BIOS. KJ

Thanks for your reply's KJ and Claudio, I beleive KJ is right I i beleive that I am borderline low on the voltage, I have been keeping it as low as possible to avoid producing too much heat.In regards to the out of memory message and my computer freezing in long flights, I believe that I know what is wrong.It is related to a addon scenery file. The problem is that I have 762 of them, and there is no easy way to test them, since the bst way is to erase them form the scenery config and then once the program is stable start adding them back, until it freezes again. It is very time consuming since the freeze does not occur until about at least 2 hours of flight. But last night I isolate the problem to 100 of them, so I am getting close.In regards to the 4GB patch to FS9 exe, I beleive that i will go back to the original exe file since it really killed the sharpeness of my ground textures. At airports only the runway and buildings are sharp, whereas the taxiways are barely distinguishable. I don't know why it happenes but I have read here that is one of the patch side effects.Juan

/In regards to the 4GB patch to FS9 exe, I beleive that i will go back to the original exe file since it really killed the sharpeness of my ground textures. At airports only the runway and buildings are sharp, whereas the taxiways are barely distinguishable. I don't know why it happenes but I have read here that is one of the patch side effects.Juan
No, the 4GB patch has nothing to do with your sharpness of the ground texture. If you patched the FS9. exe file it can handle morethan 2GB of memory (You patch it because the exe file is still a 32-bit)I guess you have at least 4GB of memory also when having a 64-bit of OS. (No need to edit the bot ini file though, when a 64 bit OS)It´s only if you patch and edit the boot ini in a 32-bit of OS, there could be trouble with memory over for the texture.32-bit OS can only handle maximum 2GB of Ram. It´s like this: Around 1,5-1,8GB of Virtual Size used if a 32 bit OS.....BANG....OOM.It´s like this: Around 2,8-3,2GB of Virtual Size used if a 64 bit OS.....BANG....OOM....but that wouldn´t happen if you dont have a massive leak.Get the PROCESS EXPLORER..where you could follow your Virtual Size of memory when flying.I changed 3 years ago from a XP-32-bit to XP-64 bit and never had an OOM since then.You could however have an CTD, because of peculiar things, but that´s another story.None serious simmer would use an 32-bit OS today.

Thanks for the clarification Leif.I do have 12GB of memory, Not that I needed that much for FS9, but I needs it for rendering HD video.Since I have Windows 7 pro 64 bit I did not edit the boot.ini file.What I have also done but don't know if helps or not is what it was suggested by PMDG tech support, which was too add uiautomationcore.dll to my FS root folder. So far at least I know that the cause of all this problems is due to a massive leak caused by one of my addon sceneries.I have been doing the process of elimination by backing up my scenery.cfg, then deleting half of the entries, testing, if its ok add half of the remaining half, and test. So far out of close to 700 add on sceneries I have cleared 620 of them and are testing the remaining 80.Before this issue my system use to run great never a problem, using full WOAI ai plus over 100 other airlines. getting 50FPS solid when capped at 50 with sliders to the max.

...Before this issue my system use to run great never a problem, using full WOAI ai plus over 100 other airlines. getting 50FPS solid when capped at 50 with sliders to the max.
That should give you a clue - what did you do just before you started experiencing the problem? Did you add scenery or landclass (remember that there should be no empty texture folders), change drivers, etc.? UIAutomationcore.dll will have no impact on an FS9 installation, BTW - you'll find that it already lurks in many subdirectories of the Windows directory as part of the standard installation.DJ

Thanks for your reply DJ, the problem is that I have not been flying around the UK for quite some time. During that time I installed hundreds of sceneries, so it could be anyone, but I also have been getting other problems, so I believe that will go and start with a fresh intall, I also will be able ti start fresh a in a new Velociraptor 300GB HDD that I installed after I have installed FS2004.Juan

Thanks for your reply DJ, the problem is that I have not been flying around the UK for quite some time. During that time I installed hundreds of sceneries, so it could be anyone, but I also have been getting other problems, so I believe that will go and start with a fresh intall, I also will be able ti start fresh a in a new Velociraptor 300GB HDD that I installed after I have installed FS2004.Juan
That should make it simpler to track down, if you test your sceneries one by one... do remember to patch FS to be large address aware after you re-install it (or even better, if you have already patched it, backup your patched .exe file).DJ