Sign in to follow this  
Vargveum

8 minute freeze in 777 - possible solution

Just thought I'd chime in on how I have fixed (hopefully for good) those pesky 8 minute freezes with the sound still playing. 

-Updated my Realtek HD sound driver to the latest available.

-DIsabled all other sound devices thru device manager.

After I did that,I completed -for the first time - a 10 hour flight without a single freeze in the PMDG 777.  

Don't know if it works for everyone, but it worked wonders for me.

I am running ASN, FSinn, FSUIPC (never had autosave enabled), Opus for DHM.

(sorry if this has been posted earlier - shoot me down if you want  :P )

sorry if this has been posted earlier - shoot me down if you want

Just the opposite.  I'd submit a ticket to support.precisionmanuals.com to make sure they see it, if they haven't.

Can't hurt to be sure.

Kyle Rodgers

Just thought I'd chime in on how I have fixed (hopefully for good) those pesky 8 minute freezes with the sound still playing.

-Updated my Realtek HD sound driver to the latest available.

-DIsabled all other sound devices thru device manager.

After I did that,I completed -for the first time - a 10 hour flight without a single freeze in the PMDG 777.

Don't know if it works for everyone, but it worked wonders for me.

I am running ASN, FSinn, FSUIPC (never had autosave enabled), Opus for DHM.

(sorry if this has been posted earlier - shoot me down if you want :P )

This has been reported twice last week.

But the more people that confirm it and report it here and to PMDG, the better!

So no shooting from me :-)

ps. nobody has reported which driver version is good and which one is not. That would be interesting to know for those with freezes.

Rob Robson

Version R2.73, November 11 2013, is the one I updated to.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

This has been reported twice last week.

But the more people that confirm it and report it here and to PMDG, the better!

So no shooting from me :-)

ps. nobody has reported which driver version is good and which one is not. That would be interesting to know for those with freezes.

Found a nvidia sound driver update and installed it - looks(!) good so far.

Fingers crossed! Let us know :) 

Pretty sure it's not the fix.  I was one of the first few people to report it as a fix when the 777 came out.  It may be a contributing factor, but not the end all be all fix.  The only fix I found to actually work is to reduce your overclock.  I brought my speed down to 4.05 GHZ from 4.2 GHZ and that seemed to be sweet spot for my CPU.  I say that because even the NGX at one point was freezing.  The NGX never ever froze before and I surmised the increased OC didn't agree with FSX, the 777 or the NGX.  I had recently increased my OC when I upgraded to water cooling; my CPU prior to that upgrade ran stably OC'd to 4.02GHZ for the last 2 years.  Now I'm in the business of building and fixing computers on the side and I can say without a doubt, FSX has always proven to be the best benchmark of a stable CPU.  There is no forgiveness for errors.

If the audio fix doesn't work, I guarantee dropping the OC will work.  You won't notice the difference performance wise going from 4.2 to 4, but it will make FSX a whole hell of a lot more stable.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

So far I've got the "ocean freeze" once: When 40 nm from the coast, on my leg from Valencia to Ibiza, FSX froze for a couple of mins and resumed normal ops afterwards.

This one could have been caused by inadvertently activating the FSX 'tower view', a confirmed FSX flaw; not related to those T7-specific freezes.

So my hope persists ...   B)

Oliver, which sound device are you running in FSX sound menu? 

The reason I am asking is I had "default" set, but changed it on my second last leg. I switched to Realtek HD (don't ask me why) and got a freeze after only 50 minutes.

I then changed back to default and the freeze never came back. I will fly another long haul shortly in the 777 and double check. This is really weird stuff, but I still have a feeling it is related to sound somehow.