Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Aerosoft Lightning F6 - Absolutely a "Best Buy"

Last night I purchased the Aerosoft BAC Lightning F6. I have to say it's the best $16 I've spent in years! It is an amazingly good re-creation of one of true aviation icons of the Cold War - the standard RAF interceptor from the early 1960s that remained in service for around 20 years. What is mind-blowing to me is what you get for a ridiculously low purchase price - in-depth systems modeling, a challenging but fun to fly aircraft and in addition it is TacPac compatible. I was worried that frame rates might be a problem because of its complexity, but it has been absolutely smooth. (I use FSX-SE)

If you want a fascinating, fun and continually challenging addon aircraft, I highly recommend this product. I've been flight simming since the FS98 days and I can't recall ever getting so much value for so little money. I also don't recall ever endorsing a product on the forums before, but I really felt this was something that shouldn't be overlooked. You will love it

Cheers

Ian

I wanted a good rendition of the Lightning for years and this is it, I have the F3 version and will get the F6 in due course.

The Aerosoft Lightning F3/F6 and the superb Just Flight Canberra PR9 are a real treat for those that enjoy this particular era of British aviation.

Good tip Ian. Thanks.  -  Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I totally agree about the PR9 and Lightning. What I'd love to see would be a Buccaneer of the same quality. Hunter would be great too though the Virtavia version is okay... I see JF are now working on a Hawk T1... And soon to be released, a JF Dove/Devon. The screenshots are breathtaking!!!

Hoping we will see some more high quality RAF airfields too - especially FSX versions of the amazing RAF Germany airfields that were produced for FS9.

I don't have the F6, just the F3, which I love.  Very well done, one of my favorite jets in the sim.

The only thing that's kept me from picking up the F6 is that I've been flying XP for the last 300+ hours in the last few months and haven't gotten bored enough to come back to FSX yet. :wink:

Once I need a jet fix though, I'll be picking it up for sure!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The Aerosoft Lightnings are models that I keep looking at and admiring, though due to my slow brain, I tend to favour something more sedate, like G.A. or a vintage prop. I remember sitting atop a blast wall at Coltishall watching  a squadron of them scramble. I say watching - 'experiencing' would be a better word. 12 Lightnings going out on full reheat about 300 yards away is an experience, to say the least.

If the Lightning comes out for P3Dv3, then its going to be near impossible to resist. Thanks for your review, Ian. :smile:

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Hi Paul

I have a similar memory of "experiencing" a full practice alert of B-52's at Anderson AFB in Guam while waiting to board our HP Hastings to fly to Darwin back in the 60s. I don't think my ears ever really recovered!!! The noise was so intense it actually affected your vision...

I will warn you that the Lightning is the diametrical opposite of "sedate" so I suggest you have a bottle of Scotch or a hot cup of tea waiting for when (if) you get it safely back on the ground!! But I can promise you that you'll have a grin from ear to ear! (Even before the Scotch) LOL
Enjoy mate

Ian

I totally agree about the Lightning - it's incredible! I've bought the F.6 when it was released about a month ago, but I didn't have the courage to fire it up until recently. Now I don't usually fly anything military, but the one short flight I did in the lightning (the fuel tanks were nearly empty after less than 45 minutes) was a thrilling experience. The way the thing flies, just beautiful. And after crashing it twice while attempting a landing, I finally got it right on the third attempt... wow! Both exciting and frightening at the same time. 

Anyway, I'd highly recommend this addon. The price they're asking for it is, I think, actually too low for what you get. It's obvious that this is a work of passion for the developer.

What I'd love to see would be a Buccaneer of the same quality. Hunter would be great too though the Virtavia version is okay...

Flying Stations do a Buccaneer S.1 and an S.2 which is pretty nice. Dave Garwood's freeware Hunters are not only better than the Virtavia ones, they also come in a lot more flavours, including the trainers.

The Aerosoft Lightning is indeed a diamond... much better than the Just Flight model. The JF Canberra PR.9 was superb, but their Tornado GR.1 was a disappointment. Apparently there is still one last service pack in the works that I hope will save this aircraft from collecting dust for me.

JF have also hinted that they may possibly have plans for a Jaguar. What I'd really like is a first generation Harrier. The Wilco ones are passable, but not great. The Iris Vulcan is getting a bit long in the tooth now... I'm surprised nobody took the opportunity to contact the people who were operating XH558 (final flight was today!) and collaborated on a new FS model. I'd love to see a Victor and Valiant too, but I know this won't happen. With the arrival of the Mil Viz F-4E and the other group making a really nice looking F-4B, my wish list would also include some British Phantoms, but again I know they are too niche for the market. I think a nice Jet Provost would also be a lot of fun, as would a Javelin or Sea Vixen done to contemporary standards.

Don't even get me started on British airliners.....

If the Lightning comes out for P3Dv3....

And they both now are. Version 2.02 of each model includes P3Dv3 compatibility

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/100299-aerosoft-english-electric-lightning-f3-updated-to-v-202/

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/100298-aerosoft-english-electric-lightning-f6-updated-to-202/

Can I resist ?

"Give in to the force Luke (Paul)... Resistance is futile!" LOL Go for it mate - you'll love it

Well, I've downloaded the manual from the F3's product page, and will have a look at it this week. One thing I'm glad to see is that in-flight refuelling is simulated, implemented in the same manner as the Iris Vulcan.

Right now I'm still starting out with P3Dv3, and I have the PMDG 737NGX and the Aerosoft A319 to A321 packages to learn ( the latter will have P3Dv3 installers available very shortly ). So already I have a lot to do. But the Lightning is very tempting - if and when I get it, I'll come back to this thread and let you know.

:smile: