Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Finally went to DX 10 &Steve's fixer have shimmering.

I finally made the jump to DX10 and Steve's Fixer.Spent the last 3 hours searching and reading tweak guides.I have a very basic problem.Back to shimmering textures even on plane it FSX main windiw.Have done the AA tweaks in Nvidia Inspector etc.Think I have it right.Switched back to DX9 and they were gone.Any suggestions?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

The fsx free flight Window isn't antialiased in fsx itself, Aces didn't view it as important enough.

In dx9 you can force AA for the window and override fsx but in dx10 you cannot do this.

Antialiasing works normally in dx10 when flying if you follow the guides.

If land textures shimmer then you may have a dodgy grass texture, the diagnostics button will tell you if that is the case.

Thanks for that info.I have bldg shimmers too.Can to refer me to a guide for Inspector and cfg settings?I have I have read some and watched videos .I use Nick N's bible and Inspector settings for DX9.Thanks,Ron I have all the aa at 8x in the settings.Do I need the bufferpools entry =0?How about multisamplesperpixel=8? in cfg.I don't have that entry.

The best is to download the dx10 how to guide from nzfsim. Set AA to 4x AA or 8x csaa in the fixer which sets all the necessary fsx.cfg settings, then just use nvi to set 4x sssgaa.

Thank you but confused.Do I set nvi to 4x or 8x to match other AA settings?

Thank you but confused.Do I set nvi to 4x or 8x to match other AA settings?

Page 39 of the DX 10 Fixer v2.11 manual explains it.

Thank you,I printed out the pages I needed (I am old guy been doing this since my Tandy 1000  '80's?)I figured that out .Everything is good.Get an error message in diagnostic that Scenery/world/texture/detail1.bmp  may need mipmaps.Renamed the file, should have gotten it out of play and got same message.Still get the error message.Also  Lod radius is 4.5.I changed it to 7.5 but went back to 4.5 when I activated the fixer.Someone said tweak it to 7.5.I just want this to work.I have decent computer new last year.Sorry I am rambling,late and a few beers.That is why I fly in my basement.Thanks for patience with a senior citizen.Ron

I've installed FSX SE and after some adjustments in Inspector default Cessna looks quite AAed. In my previous DVD installation AA didn't work in free flight screen with DX10. How it is possible? I will check with other planes when install them.

You may have turned on fxaa , it will improve the look of the free flight window but in my opinion causes too many line crawling effects to be usable in fsx itself, but some people are ok with it.

Just got an e-mail the other day that there is an update to Steve's DX10 fixer that is supposed to fix that problem.  Haven't tried it yet so don't know for sure that it works.

Get an error message in diagnostic that Scenery/world/texture/detail1.bmp  may need mipmaps.

There is nothing wrong with the file. It says, non-standard scenery, if it has no mipmaps terrain will shimmer badly. It has mipmaps.

Yes that isn't an error or warning, it's an informational message that the detail texture is non standard and has been replaced. There are many about that are fine but there are a few without mipmaps that can cause the ground to shimmer in dx10. I didn't intend anyone to act on this - the message is just to help me investigate possible issues. The new option in the other dialog to stop using the detail texture at a distance should deal with most such problems anyway.

Renaming the detail texture is a bad idea.

Thank you,checked the detail texture box.It also says that force vcshadow map not set in fs cfg.How to set that?Thanks,Ron

Just added the forcevcshadowmap=1 to fsg.cfg.I assume this is correct?I did not see it anywhere.

ADDED THIS TO FS.CFG [JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14  HAVE 4770 WITH gtx 770 VIDEO CARD.SEEMES TO RUN FINE.IS THIS ok?I am old guy but familiar with this stuff.Thanks,Ron (Do not know why font is like this,sorry)