Sign in to follow this  
cgentil

Updating my three years old PC

Hi guys,

I'm going to upgrade some parts on my PC, so I wish some suggestions.

Specs now:

I5 3570K @ 3.40GHZ

Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

8GB RAM Ripjaws X 1600 MHZ

ASUS GTX 670 2GB

Corsair H80I GT Cooling

Western Digital Black 1TB

750W XFX Power

And now I'm considering update the RAM from 8GB to 16GB and put a Samsung SSD.

Do you guys recommend any other thing?

Also which Samsung SSD do you recommend? Evo one or PRO?

Also my Ripjaws X are 1600MHZ, do you recommend to put more 8GB of same RAM 1600MHZ or with 2133MHZ? I read some people saying from 1600 MHZ to 2133 MHZ from day to day there's insignificant difference.

Also there's any good software to clone HDD to SSD? There are risks doing that? After that can I change my HDD to partition letter D: and the SSD letter C:?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi guys,

I'm going to upgrade some parts on my PC, so I wish some suggestions.

Specs now:

I5 3570K @ 3.40GHZ

Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

8GB RAM Ripjaws X 1600 MHZ

ASUS GTX 670 2GB

Corsair H80I GT Cooling

Western Digital Black 1TB

750W XFX Power

And now I'm considering update the RAM from 8GB to 16GB and put a Samsung SSD.

Do you guys recommend any other thing?

Also which Samsung SSD do you recommend? Evo one or PRO?

Also my Ripjaws X are 1600MHZ, do you recommend to put more 8GB of same RAM 1600MHZ or with 2133MHZ? I read some people saying from 1600 MHZ to 2133 MHZ from day to day there's insignificant difference.

Also there's any good software to clone HDD to SSD? There are risks doing that? After that can I change my HDD to partition letter D: and the SSD letter C:?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

I have a similar system that I've upgraded with (2) 250 gig Samsung 850 EVO's and I love them. My system boots in about 20 seconds and is pretty snappy, but in sim performance didn't change. I'd STRONGLY recommend a clean install. Move everything you need to backup or save to an external drive, add in the new SSD and use the old drive for storage. I've seen some migrate to an SSD with success and I've seen others who didn't have such luck. Honestly, I'd just save myself the headache and do a clean install.

For what it's worth, I upgraded to a Gigabyte GTX970 last year and the card has been great. 

As far as ram goes, I don't think you'd see a big difference if you upgraded. 8GB is still plentiful and the chances are that even faster ram wont yield much of a difference. 

• Upvote 1

I would overclock first

Then I'd get s SSD for Windows/sim/games

Maybe a gtx 970 too

Ram...meh if you only use P3D or FSX. 16 is good for XP10

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I also have a 3 year old PC.  It was a supercomputer 3 years ago with a 990X processor and dual 590GTX video cards. 

I get a solid 21-30 fps in the PMDG777 with most settings at 50%.  I get 100-200 fps in the default Cessna.

I was wondering what a super high end PC would get now.  Any one care to report what they are seeing at a default airport like KSEA on the runway? (so I can compare and see if upgrading is with it).  I know there are a million variables, but with all sliders at 50% will give a general baseline of where I stand

Paul Gugliotta

I also have a 3 year old PC.  It was a supercomputer 3 years ago with a 990X processor and dual 590GTX video cards. 

I get a solid 21-30 fps in the PMDG777 with most settings at 50%.  I get 100-200 fps in the default Cessna.

I was wondering what a super high end PC would get now.  Any one care to report what they are seeing at a default airport like KSEA on the runway? (so I can compare and see if upgrading is with it).  I know there are a million variables, but with all sliders at 50% will give a general baseline of where I stand

I just built a new system a few days ago.

i7-6600k OC'd @ 4.5

Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7

16GB DDR4 2800

x2 Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD's

1TB WD Blue

Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1

Corsair H100i GTX

Corsair RM750i PSU (changing it to an EVGA 850W Platinum as soon as UPS gets here)

I wouldn't consider what I have as a super computer, but it's no slouch. I'm coming from a 3 year old Alienware Aurora R4 that had an i7-3820 OC'd at 4.2, the 970 I'm currently using and the 2 Samsungs. I've been pleasantly surprised with this system. Even though there is only an 300 MHz increase in speed, this system smokes my alienware. I believe that there is much more to a CPU than just clock speed.

I'm still playing with my settings in P3D v3, but I was able to consistently pull 50-60 frames last night using the Aerosoft A321 from Atlanta to Dallas. I use ASN, REX4 w/ Soft Clouds, Orbx Global and Vector. I haven't even touched my CFG or tweaked and most settings were at max or close to it. It was a silky smooth experience with no stutters. The lowest I saw my frames last night was around 30 while on approach, but I was getting 50+ for 90-95% of the time with the lock set at 60. Still haven't set it to unlimited to see what I can do in a default aircraft.

How much have you spent?

I picked up everything because of the black friday sales. I already had my GTX 970 and the two SSD's. 

Mobo: 189.99

CPU: 359.99

RAM: 109.99

HDD: 39.99

Windows 10 USB: 119.99

Corsair H100i GTX: 109.99

Wireless Card: 19.99

Tower: 124.99

PSU: 114.99

$1189.91 Total. 

I decided to use my GTX 970 that I already had. It's still a very good card and I've only had it 11 or 12 months. You can pick them up now for around 300.

Originally, I was planning on going with the i5-6600k due to the price increases over the last 4 or so weeks, and they've also become increasingly more difficult to find. Newegg wanted 420 and Amazon now wants 490. I found one at my local Micro Center for 360 and decided to go for it. 

You can build a similar system using the 6600k and GTX 970 from newegg for just under 1400. You could save a few bucks by going to a lesser expensive motherboard. I spent more than I needed on a motherboard and I'll probably never see a difference between this one and something that I could have picked up for $50 less.The Asus Z170-A, MSI Gaming 5 and Gigabyte Gaming 5 would fit the bill just fine. 

I forgot to mention that there is about $60 or $70 in mail in rebates that I need to send in. 

Those considering a new CPU should look at the single threaded performance of the CPU. Also consider the number of cores, since with exe addons a 6 core CPU may be preferred over 4 cores, so that 4 cores can be allocated to the sim. The sim works best with 4 logical processors, and with exe addons running on alternative cores.

For arguments sake, the 990x at 3.47GHz is listed at 1510 passmark single threaded performance, equates to 1740 @4.0GHz.

Comparing the older i7 3960x 6 core CPU @4GHz in single threaded performance with the newer i7 4790K and i7 6700K CPUs:

4790K 4.0GHz CPU Mark 2530

3960x 4.0GHz CPU Mark 2412

6700K 4.0GHz CPU Mark 2322

4790K @4GHz is 1.049 times the throughput of the 3960x at 4GHz

3960x @4GHz is 1.038 times the throughput of the 6700K at 4GHz

3960x @4GHz is 0.953 of the throughput of the 4790K at 4GHz

6700K @4GHz is 0.918 of the throughput of the 4790K at 4GHz

4790k @4GHz is approx.1.45 the throughput of the 990x @4GHz

CPUs have not improved so much, but motherboard and memory bandwidth have.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I've been pleasantly surprised with this system. Even though there is only an 300 MHz increase in speed, this system smokes my alienware. I believe that there is much more to a CPU than just clock speed.

You would be right. It's called IPC, Instructions Per Cycle. Newer CPU's tend to have a better architecture. It's not just about frequency.

Steve:

Good data, so will spending $6000 for a new maxed out computer double my frame rates from my current 3 year old super-computer?   (990x OC to 4.0 with dual 590 GTX cards)  I see you posted 1.45 times increase in through put. Does that mean 1.45 x the frame rates?

That is why I asked some one to post the frame rates at say KSEA on the runway with all settings at 1/2 wihtthhe PMDG 777 to compare.  As I said I get a solid 25-30 fsp.

Trans_27  Pilot - I'd be interested in the PMDG 777 frame rates.  I think I get 50-60 fps with the LD767, but let's test the real frame rate hog and see if I need to upgrade.

Paul Gugliotta

Steve:

Good data, so will spending $6000 for a new maxed out computer double my frame rates from my current 3 year old super-computer?

You will get a performance boost with new kit Paul, that's for sure, but maybe not double. It's the overall system that defines the sim performance, swapping out just a CPU might not bring the intended results, but replacing with motherboard and memory should.

SteveW , Its more single tread bencmarks out there not only " Trashmark"

True, benchmarks can't prove all the ins and outs of these chips in different systems, but at least it's something to compare, and more or less placing them in a reasonable order of sorts.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve:

Good data, so will spending $6000 for a new maxed out computer double my frame rates from my current 3 year old super-computer?   (990x OC to 4.0 with dual 590 GTX cards)  I see you posted 1.45 times increase in through put. Does that mean 1.45 x the frame rates?

That is why I asked some one to post the frame rates at say KSEA on the runway with all settings at 1/2 wihtthhe PMDG 777 to compare.  As I said I get a solid 25-30 fsp.

Trans_27  Pilot - I'd be interested in the PMDG 777 frame rates.  I think I get 50-60 fps with the LD767, but let's test the real frame rate hog and see if I need to upgrade.

Paul, I'm itching to buy it. $135 is just a big pill to swallow. I bought the Aerosoft A320/321 2 months ago just to take a break from Boeing and learn something else for a change. I've spent 95% of my time flying Boeing aircraft since PMDG released the 737 for FS9. I'm as curious as you are though. I'll be picking up the 777 and 737 within the next week, I just have figure out how to accept spending over $200 on something that I already had.