Sign in to follow this  
MM

Aussie Alps

The Australian Alps and the Snowy Mountains Scheme

The Route
This flight takes us through the Australian Alps to enjoy the majestic mountain views and a few challenging airstrips. We start at Cooma Polo Flats (YPFT) and pass over parts of the famous Snowy Mountains Scheme – the massive diversion of the Snowy River's waters for irrigation and hydro-electric power. And then we fly over the Victorian Highlands before landing at Mount Hotham (YHOT). Our landings will be at grass airstrips, most built for the region's hydro-electric facilities. A few of these will be interesting challenges. While these are not "extreme airmanship tests," some are tricky and you should surely look at the fields before trying them for the first time.  YPFT-YADY-YTBG-YCUR-YZGE-YMBT-YZSR-YHOT. 234nm.

You may download the flight plan and a brief pilot's guide here.

Recommended Scenery
Required.
Because a number of the airstrips are not in default FSX, you should install the following:

(1) OZx AU Complete. Freeware available here.

(2) Ant's Aussie Airports Complete. Freeware available here. You might install additional Anthony Lynch airports beyond the "Complete" set, but doing so is not necessary for this flight.
(3) Holgermesh for Australia. Freeware available here. Please install this with higher priority than your normal mesh. The OZx airstrips were designed explicitly for this "Holgermesh." Because their surfaces rely on the terrain, rather than runway flattens, it is a good idea to use the mesh used by the designers.

Strongly Recommended.
In addition, you probably should have either Orbx Australia or Orbx Global installed to enjoy the scenery's autogen and textures. Orbx Australia displays more accurate lakes, towns and, roadways and more authentic eucalyptus vegetation. However Orbx Global works quite well.

Recommended Aircraft
The distances here are modest so any aircraft with a true airspeed of 120-160kts will be fine. You might consider a STOL aircraft such as the de Havilland Beaver, Britten-Norman Islander, Cessna C185, Pilatus PC-6 or even the Quest Kodiak. However, STOL aircraft are not necessary. In fact, the route will be more fun if you choose an aircraft of more ordinary capabilities such as an Aero Commander AC500, Cessna C172/182, Piper Cherokee/Comanche, Ryan Navion, or Beech Bonanza. I shall fly the A2A Piper Comanche.

CS_YTBG_FFE.jpg

Date and time: Saturday 28th November, 1900 UTC

Where:
AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hopefully we can go roo hunting along the way. I thought I'd resurrect the A36 Bonanza.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Er...does YTBG lie on the side of a VERY lumpy hillside, or am I missing something?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I'm following this forum, but for some reason I am not getting the notifications.  This is annoying.

Given my schedule I need to see these in advance to plan to participate.  I have visitors again tomorrow but might be able to join in.  I have the full suite of Australia scenery regions and all AU airports (or almost all, think I'm short a couple of APs) have all of OZ and some Ants (which I found have conflicts with OZ if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway I might be able to jump into this.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Mike, thanks for the plan and write up. Got a chance to read it for Sunday's bedtime story.. LOL And thanks for the little plug about "Wheelie's and Wings"! If anyone is interested in some more information about handicapped flying I threw up a .pdf containing a plethora of links here.

Bandwidth intensive..
Bert turning in for landing at our 1st destination, YADY, Adaminaby.

SS_28Nov15_132846.jpg?dl=0

A group shot at YADY. From 1:00 clockwise, Josh, Mike & Nick in Comanche's, Bert in the Kodiak, myself in the RV-7, Ron in the A-36 (aliased to F-33) & finally Stew in a Comanche. We lost Ken (in a Navajo) on the way.. Some really bad storms and multiple power outages down in the mid-southern US, maybe??

SS_28Nov15_133309.jpg?dl=0

Kidney belts required. All the fields except maybe 2 or 3 had, one would say, not ideal surfaces. A lot of grunts, umphs etc. were heard over unicom. Mike getting planted during the take off roll at YADY. Josh following. We all looked on.. Pondering, holding on to the 'ol "jewels".

133758.gif?dl=0

Tucking into Jeff on the way. Was trying to get a wing overlap until over the radio - Jeff - WHOAH! hey.. hey... Myself - Yeah, OK! Breaking off.

SS_28Nov15_135055.jpg?dl=0

A couple of "finals" shots at YTBG, Talbingo. 1st Stew giving a little wave.

135749.gif?dl=0

And then Ron, showing the "grunt creating" undulations.

135837.gif?dl=0

Another subgroup shot at YTBG. A few had elevations issues here so not everyone is showing. Bert is in the creek washing his airframe :-)

SS_28Nov15_140339.jpg?dl=0

Alright... It's now time for your lesson. Nick showing, once again, how it's done. At YCUR, Cabramurra. (@ 5060 ft.) NICE!

141751.gif?dl=0

Bert showing us how to trim trees at YZGE, Geehi.

143946.gif?dl=0

YZGE is a real cool strip! It's a set of slowly animated pics, be patient, EVERYONE KEPT MOVING! LOL! A good place to visit. (on the "need to move here" list)

144439.gif?dl=0

The Dartmouth Dam

SS_28Nov15_150201.jpg?dl=0

It's purdy, ain't it. Field in sight, coming into YMBT, going for short intercepting left base, "Mount Beauty". (Throttle chopped, shock cooling will insue = $$$$ )

SS_28Nov15_150756.jpg?dl=0

Bert into Mount Beauty.

SS_28Nov15_151054.jpg?dl=0

Nick, with the Border Collie holding back the sheep @ Mount Beauty.

151236.gif?dl=0

Jeff bringing in the official "Snowy Mountain Authority" into YMBT. From what was told that there is some "contriband" being delivered/mixed/consumed here. Thats why he followed us. ;-)

151316.gif?dl=0

Mike coming in, aiming for "the" ONE spot.

151337.gif?dl=0

Ron coming in - handling the "swirlies" coming off the hills. NICE!

151523.gif?dl=0

Stew, doing the same, handling it nicely.

161658.gif?dl=0

Another group shot, from 1:00 anti-clockwise, Mike & Jeff in Comanche's (No, they're not the same), Bert behind in them, Stew, Ron, Nick, and... who is that in the 7A?, Josh & finally myself.

SS_28Nov15_151823.jpg?dl=0

After Bert stopped fooling w/ the throttles & settled down. LOL :-) A view from his perspective. Nice.

SS_28Nov15_151916.jpg?dl=0

And finally from Josh's point of view.

SS_28Nov15_152003.jpg?dl=0

At YZSR, Snowy Range. No comment.. Except I couldn't follow just one pilot (or turn on/off tags, follow, etc)
, seen it & kept with it. Nick, Mike, Jeff & Josh threw out a semi- formation flight to a place that shouldn't allow such malarkey ;-) - ALL GOOD!

153918.gif?dl=0

At least Stew separated from the 4 "pros" ;-) and landed properly.

154215.gif?dl=0

This one catches the eye for some reason.

SS_28Nov15_154315.jpg?dl=0

If this was a spot landing contest, Bert would've won. ( ~5" or so?) - Nice one.

SS_28Nov15_154316.jpg?dl=0

Ron on the cusp of touching down.

SS_28Nov15_154734.jpg?dl=0

Josh leading Mike into our final destination, YHOT, Mt. Hotham. Full rich and touching down nearly simultaneously.

160608.gif?dl=0

Award.jpg?dl=0

Nick at Mt Hotham.

160651.gif?dl=0

"Grunt, Ummph!" - Instant mosquito repellant.

160715.gif?dl=0

Stew bringing it in as others are kicking up some dust heading for the 19th hole.

160738.gif?dl=0

And finally Ron, "Tail End Charlie". Kicking the rudder around (through nosewheel) battling some crosswinds.

161335.gif?dl=0

The meeting of the minds - part 1.
(Fore to aft) Nick, Josh, myself, Mike, Jeff, Bert & finally Stew.

SS_28Nov15_161444.jpg?dl=0

The meeting of the minds - part 2. Stew had to leave right away as Ron shows up.

SS_28Nov15_161511.jpg?dl=0

Jeff, myself & Ron discussing all the things important as the sun sets.

SS_28Nov15_163841.jpg?dl=0

HA!

Wasting%20time.gif?dl=0

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Great Kodaks, Roman. You have captured the challenges, and the fun, of our day in the Aussie Alps. I was impressed with the gang's collective ability to master these difficult approaches. A tip of my cap to everyone.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1