Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Time to upgrade - want to spend <$1000

good afternoon all,

it's that time in the life cycle, fsx is running well, but i am having some straining issues (loss of fluidity) in some of the more populated parts of fsx, ORBX NorCal, Chicago, New York, etc.   Rather than buy a complete new system I want to upgrade my motherboard and the chip, as well as my video card, and as the title says I have permission from the finance minister (wife) to go to $1000.  

Here are my current specs, any suggestions as to what I can upgrade my CPU and video card to would be much appreciated.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 

Intel® Core i7 CPU 930  @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

12288MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 

thnx!!!

Richard Bansa

I5-6600K $270 (newegg)

ASUS Z170-A $160 (newegg)

G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4-3200 $130 (newegg)

Samsung 850 EVO 256GB $80 (newegg)

Samsung 850 EVO 512GB $150 (newegg)

EVGA 4GB 960 $190 (newegg)

If you already have an SSD you could probably swap out the SSDs and 960 for a 970 or so.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Thanks Luke!! Appreciate the info.  Regarding the hard drive, right now i only one non-SSD drive in the system, a 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ, would it be possible to copy my FSX file from this drive to an SSD drive so i don't have to reinstall FSX from scratch?

Richard

Thanks Luke!! Appreciate the info.  Regarding the hard drive, right now i only one non-SSD drive in the system, a 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ, would it be possible to copy my FSX file from this drive to an SSD drive so i don't have to reinstall FSX from scratch?

Richard

I doubt your FSX would run in your new PC just by copying..the registry entries would not come over

BTW..why G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4-3200 $130 (newegg)?

Is more than 8GB memory useful? I am thinking you can get a good G.Skill 8GB memory for around $53

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231886

EDITED TO ADD: Tridents are faster maybe? Yeah I think so ... NEVERMIND!

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Regarding the hard drive, right now i only one non-SSD drive in the system, a 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ, would it be possible to copy my FSX file from this drive to an SSD drive so i don't have to reinstall FSX from scratch?

Yes, if you only swap the FSX drive, you can copy over the contents to the new drive.

If you then give the new drive the same drive letter as the previous drive, it will work nicely.

Some of your addons may have to be reinstalled though, as they recognize the drive change.

Bert

One concern you need to check is if your existing power supply is capable of supporting a more contemporary processor.  This is not necessary a wattage issue but has to due with power levels.  Check out this article: http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)