Sign in to follow this  
alpha117

ATC Challenge!.....Up for it!

Just finished my second flight EDDM-LOWI Complete ATC service Yes,  Flight was uneventful. Took off from runway 8R using the OBAX3E departure climbed to my chosen cruise altitude of FL150 due to the short distance of flight, almost immediately at cruise was given my arrival clearance for the TULS3A RNVZ08 arrival. RNAV approach and landing was uneventful and ATC assigned Gate G2 for my parking space.

yet, another good report here Tom. What ATC program are you using?

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Just finished my second flight EDDM-LOWI Complete ATC service Yes,  Flight was uneventful. Took off from runway 8R using the OBAX3E departure climbed to my chosen cruise altitude of FL150 due to the short distance of flight, almost immediately at cruise was given my arrival clearance for the TULS3A RNVZ08 arrival. RNAV approach and landing was uneventful and ATC assigned Gate G2 for my parking space.

You took the words right out of my mouth. :wink: I obtained the latest version of ProATC and even though I haven't used it for 3 or maybe even 4 years I immediately went ahead and did the EDDM > LOWI flight again (after doing it this afternoon with default ATC). This time I survived.

Complete ATC service: yes!

I had the exact same SID and STAR and approach as you did! Unfortunately the approach in ProATC was different than the one in my GTN 750 (probably because it is using a different AIRAC...) so that got a bit confusing. I did land well however.

I myself had the idea that the TULS3A STAR was an odd choise for runway 8...? I would have chosen another one: now I was approaching from the wrong side... And ATC also missed the TURIL waypoint I had to fly over towards the approach: a minute after passing it ATC asked me to go direct to TURIL and the only way to solve it was to turn around and go there. BTW ATC gave me very precise headings to get there! Job well done. But it shouldn't have missed it when I passed if the first time. :wink: When I was at TURIL once more the rest of the flight went well, including the instruction to descent and contact tower etc. (I was told to contact tower at the marker: don't know which marker so I contacted tower when I was on the right path for runway 8.)

Take note once more that the AIRACs were different and I hadn't used ProATC for a few years: I was pretty amazed already everything worked pretty well at once. I didn't feel like buying the right AIRAC for ProATC right now because I only redownloaded and reinstalleed ProATC for this test: I am looking forward to testing Pilot2ATC, also because that one supports VFR which ProATC doesn't. I did however like ProATC's simple and unobstrusive interface during the flight, something which can't be said of the huge P2A panel.

3. XXXX > KABQ (anywhere to KABQ)

I flew challenge number 3 with ProATC. I took the route (SPAZZ3 ZAPAA DATME SNDIA3) and flight level (FL320) from this flight: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/GJS4789/history/20160212/1815Z/KDEN/KABQ

---

SHORT VERSION: Success from gate to gate

---

Then the long version:

BEFORE TAKEOFF

Clearance delivery gave me runway 07 and a different SID that in the real world flight. This is why I ended up requesting runway 08. Runway change was accepted and the assigned SID was SPAZZ3 with ZAPAA transition (which now matched the flightaware flight).

Ground cleared me to push & start, but as push back direction wasn't mentioned, I accidentally pushed back so I was nose to nose with an AI aircraft (I should have pushed back facing west, not east?).

Taxi instructions were BS -> M to runway 08.

CLIMB OUT: Nothing to report. Cleared altitudes matched the altitudes on the plates.

CRUISE: Smooth. No radio ping pong.

ARRIVAL

I got an early descent clearance. After the TOD, I was cleared to fly the SNDIA3 STAR with DATME transition (runway 26). The early descent got me worried as there is high terrain below the path of the STAR. Lucky for me, the altitude clearances matched the altitude limits on the plates => I was safe the whole way down.

APPROACH

I was cleared to fly the RNAV-Y runway 26 approach with CADAT transition. This turned out to be an exciting arrival as it goes near high terrain. Will have to fly to KABQ more often!

The approach was good until I started messing around with the autopilot too much (not ATC's fault). Flying at 02:00 AM while suffering from a flu, isn't as easy as it seems ;) The approach ended up with a very hard manual landing.

TAXI IN

Cleared via taxiway A to gate G 8.

---

If you want to see me do the flight, you can find the twitch version here (unfortunately youtube upload failed, just like my flying today):

http://www.twitch.tv/virtualfreightdog/v/44175314

EDIT: The Youtube upload seemed to have worked. Better quality version should be ready in couple of hours (ATC portion starts from around 8min mark):

Edited by Jarkko

Jarkko, you found it thought you would be here earlier  :wink:

Fantastic report and video

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

ATC assigned Gate G2 for my parking space.

Did PROATC assign that gate automatically, or did you specify it earlier?

Petraeus

Did PROATC assign that gate automatically, or did you specify it earlier?

I've been using ProATC (again) for the last two days and it always assigns me a gate or parking spot automatically.

Guys,

Whats going on here, I've been away for a few hours and here we go again.  STOP......STOP

It will take just one more post that is not about the title and the criteria and I WILL LOCK this thread and it yet again proves the point. 'MY ATC can do this bet yours can't' do what my can.

If you want to do 'your thing' then this is not the thread.

STAY ON TRACK...last warning

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Here's another challenge. And one hopes everyone will be honest with their replies!

Well, I won't be honest because I don't think it is up to you to post a challenge and hijack alpha117/Clive's topic...? I will await his next challenge. I think it would have been better to start a topic of your own.

Guys please stay on topic and look at the criteria I have set.

I want to start the ATC Challenge part 2 tomorrow. Thos will get even more testing for you ATC programs and you as PIC.

So take part a fly a few of the route set out in the criteria

Have fun again 

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

I did the EDDM LOWI flight once more with the RealAir Legacy and ProATC in P3D v3.1 but unfortunately I couldn't finish the flight (again) because I use the GTN 750 and the database of that addon (1601) shows a totally different approach than ProATC (1602). I tried other cycles too but the differences were the same. So I can't really blame this on ProATC although it once again kept me flying too high during the STAR. At the same time: I copied the ProATC AIRAC's approach into the GTN 750 manually but that led me into a mountain once again so I wonder if the ProATC approach was the right one...

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new challenge and hopefully the GTN 750 won't be a game spoiler again... I am actually thinking about installing the Aerosoft Airbus 319 because that one uses the exact same Navigraph AIRAC as ProATC which would enable me to actually test ProATC without beng fooled by the GTN 750.

Complete ATC service: yes, but failure due to GTN 750 database differences.

Ok carrying on with PROATC, my third flight w KLAS-KABQ This flight served two purposes, one this challenge and I was able to use it as one of my VA flights (SWAVirtual) Departed from Las Vegas from gate C1 runway 25R on the COWBY6 departure with GUP transition, cruised up to FL390, For my arrival I was assigned the LOWBO3 STAR also with GUP transition for the RNVY 26 arrival transitioning at NODME, which setup for a very short final, which PROATC put me right on Glide slope, landed a little harder then I would like but not too hard  (-220fpm according to my VA's ACARS), and proceeded to assigned gate. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Well done to those who have submitted there finding on the routes using their ATC porograms.

OK  finally for this challenge here are the final 2 routes to test your ATC programs with. This might make you work a little harder this time, hope so.

The 2 routes are

KDEN >KTEX

VNKT > VQPR

Does your ATC program(s) give you FULL ATC from A >B?

Look at the criteria, and lets us know what went well and also what did not go well

Happy flying

Have I missed any reports?

Anyone used VOXATC, PF3, RC4 or Pilot2ATC (V1) or any other ATC programs, if  not come on get flying and let us know how it goes, don't be shy

We all know each other  :smile:

I will start a New Pinned Thread on Sunday evening(UK)  for the criteria for ATC CHALLENGE part 2 (hint: think of the 'phases of flight')

Stay tuned

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Well the 4th flight WMKK to WSSS didn't go as planned with PROATC, but it certainly made for a more interesting flight. Departed from gate A3 at Kuala Lumpur, takeoff on runway 32L on the DOMO1E SID climbed up to FL170 descent was near TOD, and sometime  after given my approach, this one just for an ILS approach to runway 2L with no STAR or transition. ATC descended me to 7000 but held me there to long before clearing me my FAF altitude of 2500ft. I was unable to get down fast enough to the final approach altitude, so I declared a missed approach. PROATC then correctly directed me to the waypoint AKOMA at 4000ft, where it correctly put me into a hold which is part of the published missed approach procedures for runway 2L. after a cycle in the hold it cleared me to the outer marker of the runway, and to expect vectors, (This little detour did put me into reserve fuel status) Initially it gave me no vector, so I set a general heading to the outer marker, while enroute ATC then cleared me direct to the waypoint AKIPO, and to descend to 2500ft which is the altitude to reach at that waypoint. Upon reaching it, Approach transferred me to tower where I received my final landing clearance, correctly lined up this time, landing was uneventful. I installed a new livery for this flight (Malaysia Airlines One World) but I forgot to setup the ATC parking and Type codes, still PROATC assigned me a gate not a parking space, though not one for my airline, and it was defined as a Large Gate.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I tried the KIAH-KABQ route.  I pulled out and installed PROATCX to test as I have not installed RC4 yet.

Didn't really get very far as on climb out I'm cleared to FL300 which is my cruise level then the next controller asked me to descend back to FL210.  I still have 600nm to arrival airport.

Read on the proatc forums it is bug that will be fixed in the next update at some point.

Summary is it did not go well.

Sean Green