Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

FSX native plan question

Hello guys,Does RC4 read and somehow use in its calculations the alt information of specific waypoints (in addition to the ) contained in the FSX native xml-type flight plans?Thanks,Dirk.

i don't do anything with the waypoint's altitudes, either in the fsx .pln or the fs9.pln filesjd

>i don't do anything with the waypoint's altitudes, either in>the fsx .pln or the fs9.pln files>>jdYou don't? In fs9 you can't. There's no overfly altude information for waipoints in fs9. Only in the newer FSX xml-type format.Thanks,Dirk.

Guest j-mo

>You don't? In fs9 you can't. There's no overfly altude>information for waipoints in fs9. Only in the newer FSX>xml-type format.I used to have altitude info in FS9.

>>You don't? In fs9 you can't. There's no overfly altude>>information for waipoints in fs9. Only in the newer FSX>>xml-type format.>>I used to have altitude info in FS9.That was elevation, not 'overfly' alt.

Guest j-mo

They used to show up in my log. Altitudes, not elevations.Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, though.

Some plan applications will set altitudes as an option in the FS9 and probably FSX plan formats. FS Build offers that as a user settable option. It is the planner calculated MSL based altitude at the waypoints in the plan (noted on the navlog).

>Some plan applications will set altitudes as an option in the>FS9 and probably FSX plan formats. FS Build offers that as a>user settable option. It is the planner calculated MSL based>altitude at the waypoints in the plan (noted on the navlog).>Below is a flight plan I created in FSX. Unlike in FS9 in FSX's planner you can set the 'fly-over' altitude for EACH waypoint (not to be confused with the CRZ alt information pls). You will see, for example, that at wp3 (that I named in the description as 'AVE') the planned altitude is 33000ft.Anyway, I wonder if any programs that you know can and actually use this overfly alt data? I thought it could be somehow used by RC for processing SIDs and STARs as well.Thanks.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>AceXML DocumentKSFO to KLAXIFRHighAlt33000KSFON37

In RC4 altitudes in the .pln other than the requested cruise altitude are not used. SIDs and STARs must be incorporated (as waypoints)in the flight plan and its waypoints are not specially treated. Most planners expand SIDs and STARs into the waypoints required on exporting to the FS plan file.One application I know of that does use the altitudes is Active Sky 6.5 and probably ASX. It provides its own navlog of winds at altitude at each waypoint in the plan. This winds at altitude information is then fed back to FS Build to accommodate its fuel planning and trip time features affected by the head and tailwind components. I also use the AS report of average cruise wind and temperatures to set in the aircraft FMC. When FSB prints its navlog it shows both magnetic course and aircraft heading to correct for crosswind. They both sync really well.Read up on the tutorial in the RC4 manual on handling SIDs and STARs. You can also find posts from me in this forum on using an FMC type aircraft A/P coupling for SIDs and STARs within RC4 on getting waypoints synced.

>One application I know of that does use the altitudes is>Active Sky 6.5 and probably ASX. It provides its own navlog of>winds at altitude at each waypoint in the plan. This winds at>altitude information is then fed back to FS Build to>accommodate its fuel planning and trip time features affected>by the head and tailwind components. I also use the AS report>of average cruise wind and temperatures to set in the aircraft>FMC. When FSB prints its navlog it shows both magnetic course>and aircraft heading to correct for crosswind. They both sync>really well.>>Read up on the tutorial in the RC4 manual on handling SIDs and>STARs. You can also find posts from me in this forum on using>an FMC type aircraft A/P coupling for SIDs and STARs within>RC4 on getting waypoints synced.>AS6.5 and ASX take the alt information from the flight plan a little differently from what you think. They look ONLY for the CRZ ALT in the flight plan and use their own standard altitudes for winds aloft. So there's no connection to the flight plan for the 'fly-over' altitudes, EXCEPT for the CRZ ALT.I know how RC4 normally handles SID/STARS from RC4 manual, so my question was rather theoretical, lol. I would add that VOX ATC can process and use SID/STARS in a little more advanced manner, whereas you can describe the path/alt of a SID/STAR in details to the program. I'm really interested to read your post on using FMC in AP within RC.Thanks.

>You can also find posts from me in this forum on using>an FMC type aircraft A/P coupling for SIDs and STARs within>RC4 on getting waypoints synced.>>Ronzie, I tried 'FMC Ron Ginsberg' in the search, but didn't get any hits. Unfortunately search function is rather limited on these boards.Thanks,Dirk.