Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

Visual approach using A/P backcourse?

I have just about perfected landing some jets (737 & 727-200 advanced)using the Autopilot and ILS. During these A/P ILS assisted approaches , I also use A/T and everything seems to work well.BUT -- sometimes ATC vectors me to a ILS/BC approach - in other words , no Glideslope is available. So, I have been using the A/P in BC mode (that's OK - can get it to work OK) - and still using the A/T. However I am having trouble getting the aircraft to come down!! - and I am starting to believe it is because I am using the A/T at the same time as the A/P BC. I think that maybe , after I get the aircraft lined up on final using the A/P BC , I should take the aircraft out of A/T and use the throttle and trim to get a correct speed and descent rate . Is this right ? How do you do this -- because when you come out of A/T , the manual throttle takes some time to take effect .Any advice please?Thanks

You can fly the approach with manual power, although I tend to leave the A/T on and just trim the aircraft once I have turned the altitude hold off. The other method I have approached with some success is to dial in the descent rate into the A/P and once it is established take manual control of the altitude.I have never found any particular problem doing it anyway (other than me messing it up that is x( ), not come across the problem where manual throttle takes a while to come in either ....(That is in the Falcon & default 737)

Whether you fly with A/T or not it is your choice. Some real 767 pilots claim using A/T below 10,000 ft during descents is not very efficient.However regardless what you do I see no reason why the airplane would not be descending. Push the nose down if necessary - I do it all the time.Michael J.

Bazza:I fly almost all of my heavy jet ILS approaches by hand, with A/T engaged until my speed is stabilized, usually by the outer marker. Then I disengage A/T and control my descent rate as Michael suggests, by pushing the nose down if necessary. The exception to this rule is poor visibility approaches. Of course you have to make power adjustments doing it this way, but by this point, if you've remained vigilant in flying your approach, all the adjustments should be minor ones. You could leave the A/T engaged until touchdown (goes against regulations and almost ALL checklists), though you run the risk of not being able to stop the aircraft if you forget to disengage after landing! I do this withe all airliners I fly, including the B717, 727, 747-400, 757-767s, 777, DC-10's and all the Airbuses. Try it. in most heavies, trim to keep your nose on the horizon or just a few degrees above and you should be fine if speed and flaps are properly set. Good Luck,Alex CN562ZMinneapolis

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.