Sign in to follow this  
gbalean

737 Yoke

Hi All!I am considering purchasing a new Yoke and Pedals from CH as my old Logitech Wingman Force 3d joystick rendered itself unusable after 4 years of great flying. It now constantly shakes when plugged in, even without force feedback activated - aparently a problem many have had with these, lucky it lasted so long. Aparently force feedback is probably not trouble-free yet, and still needs a bit more development.Anywho, do any of you guys use the CH Yoke or Pedals (USB)? What do you think of them? Would you recommend them (primarily for flying the PMDG 737 & C152. Don't want to spend heaps on expensive ones)? Please don't turn this into a joystick vs yoke debate etc, just tell me your opinion / problems / recommendations ;)Thanks a lot!Geoffrey Balean (YSCB)

Guest EISN_CONTROL

"I generally use 25-50 % more runway with the yoke then with the joystick" That's no doubt because you're not used to it yet, using it occasionally along with a joystick is bound to cause a lack of precision.I fly exclusively using the CH yoke and pedals,saving up for the PFC equipment... but in the meantime,the Yoke and just importantly,the pedals rock! ;)John (Once known as Macs)http://homepage.eircom.net/~eamonnmca/images/logo_ba.JPGwww.bavirtual.co.uk Senior Captain Simflight.com Staff Reviewer

My experience with a yoke was with the AETI AFCSII yoke and throttle. All I can say is that this is probably the most realistic yoke out there, metal construction and a seperate throttle. Now my only problem is that I don't have a gameport on my new PC :-( and I can't afford the USB version

Alaister Kay

Buy a cheap sound card they often come with gameports ;)No I have used the Yoke for a month or two now exclusively and I feel quite comfortable with it but the fact is that when I just for fun went back with the Joystick for a specifically challenging approach with a learjet on a very short runway under windy conditions I nailed it first time. It was like coming home again. Then I sure missed some approaches after that with the joystick as well but the tries was just about always that little bit better. I don

I have been using the CH USB Yoke and Pedals for a few weeks. They are good products. IMHO the products add a much more "Real World" control feel to FS. If you have the extra cash I would recommend getting both.Question: Does anyone know how I can map a specific key to the "Push to talk" button on the yoke? I have tried using the CH mapping software and have mapped the key. Unfortunately the CH mapping software completely messes up the FS control and mapping config.

George,Mapping PTT button to CH yoke is as easy as going into FSUIPC button config.Tero

PPL(A)

Guest ZIACargo

I use FSUIPC to map buttons to the keyboard.

Guest tmetzinger

>I have been using the CH USB Yoke and Pedals for a few weeks.> They are good products. IMHO the products add a much more>"Real World" control feel to FS. If you have the extra cash I>would recommend getting both.>>Question: Does anyone know how I can map a specific key to the>"Push to talk" button on the yoke? I have tried using the CH>mapping software and have mapped the key. Unfortunately the>CH mapping software completely messes up the FS control and>mapping config.>The Registered version of FSUIPC has this function - map a button to the RW/AVC PTT button.

Thankyou very much to all for your quick but very detailed replies :)I must say, John's word was pretty much final ;) However, P

Guest DavidMartin

Hi Geoffrey,I would recomend the Yoke above a joystick, but it does have problems.Roll response is very precise but elevator response is somewhat poor around the neutral area. Unlike an actual aircraft yoke, the centre point (or trimmed to point) is hard to feel for. The springs are slack around the centre area so you can never bee too sure if the yoke has actually returned to it's centre point. The bottom line with this is you can often find yourself trimming against the opposite elevator movement - hardly efficient.I also find there is a tendancy for a "spike" - easing back or forward slightly on the yoke can produce a jump in elevator movement. Though this has been true for all joysticks and computers I have used, it is doubly difficult to control when the yoke is quite heavy and the springs and slider action can be slightly jerky. In many ways I find flying with keyboard to be far smoother (my only comparison in the real world is to flying Blanik gliders, the Piper Tomahawk and a 747-200 simulator), the yoke just feels a little too imprecise and the flare to landing can be near to impossible at times due to the yokes sensitivity. Perhaps I haven't yet found the correct null zone and sensitivity settings.The rocker switches on the yoke are great though for realistic trim and the various hats, buttons and in my case throttle, pitch and mixture controls, make the yoke worth while just for that.Cheers,Dave