Sign in to follow this  
Guest NGdriver

Afterburner for STOL takeoffs?

Guest NGdriver

Just wondering, will there be a afterburner option available to add STOL capabilities to the NG? Braathens in norway obviously have this option on their 737`s just look here: http://gassundertrykk.com/movie/engine-start.wmvNaaa, just kidding about the afterburner but the movie is pretty spectacular anyway!: )Bests Kevin

Guest wee_davie_2612

Great movie!Any ideas what was wrong (cowling was open)? CheersDavid

Guest NGdriver

What i read was that the fuel valve was opened too early and the startup was cancelled. after that the engine was started up in a controlled environment to burn off the fuel, wether it`s correct or not i don`t know. But since it was filmed i`m pretty sure it was planned: )Best rgdsKevin

Guest tmetzinger

>What i read was that the fuel valve was opened too early and>the startup was cancelled. after that the engine was started>up in a controlled environment to burn off the fuel, wether>it`s correct or not i don`t know. But since it was filmed i`m>pretty sure it was planned: )>>Best rgds>KevinIt looks to me like there are pax onboard... I'd have loved to hear that PA announcement.

Guest hirsch944

"Folks, if you'd look out the starboard windows, the right side of the aircraft, you will notice our ground crew toasting marshmallows. Thank you for flying with us."Dave HChief Operating OfficerEagle Express Virtual Airlineswww.EagleExpressVA.com

lol.. would be interesting!Ryan

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Guest pez_man

Wow, I'm not one who's scared easily about things when flying, but seeing that looking out the window surely would've scared my pants off!! :-lol /fredrik granfors

Guest heliosair

Guys!!There were no passengers on board!!You could see that the engine covers were open!!

Guest Sunnyzsz

I was going to say I could not see any pax :)Good good to watch though.

Guest NGdriver

Perhaps we should send it to Boeing as a proposal as a commuter plane for use on aircraft carriers? :)rgds

The story behind this one is that the plane had been in storage for a while and the stuff that is burning is some protective fluids they put in the pipes when planes are stored..Or something along that line..

Guest NGdriver

Thanks for clearing it up!:)rgds

Guest Paul Heaney

Damn if I was on that plane, seeing that, I'd *&%$ MYSELF!

Guest RichR4

When the jet engine was a new thing, Water injection was used to cool the engine on take-off. The compressor blades became dirty and corroded. Picture if you can a mechanic standing in front of an engine running up on the ground and throwing a basket of walnut shells in the engine. To clean the blades of course!Regards:An old time Pan Am Flight Engineer

It was probably a newly installed engine and there was some preservative fluids still in the plumbing that was being burned off. I've seen this before with CFM-56's on KC-135R's, but never quite that intense. Nice light show at night!!ChuckAthlon XP 2800+ASUS A7N8X DeluxeAntec TruePower 480 PS1.0 gig DDR PC2700ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 running Omega DriverSB Audigy 2WD 60 gig HDDWD 40 gig HDDCH Products USB YokeCH Products USB PedalsWindows XP Prohttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg