Sign in to follow this  

Where did my animated water go?

Hi community,let me first state that I am very pleased with this sim -- never had so much fun with any ga sim before (I tried FS98 three years ago, but I felt it wasnt really worth getting into it, but FS2002 is like a giant leap forward!).Well, the only technical problem (besides some framerate issues over crowded airports on a Athlon 900 w/ a GeForce 2) are the animated water textures. In hawaii I had them briefly, but after I installed and deinstalled some freware add-ons (scenery, aircraft) the animated textures were gone!Tried everything in the display options palette (set water effects to detailed, highres textures etc.) Only thing I get is a simple generic flat-looking water texture. No more flowing water.Surprisingly I get reflections on aircraft surfaces. The prop tips on the Baron look just amazingly chrome-like.As already mentioned I have an Athlon 900, 128 Meg RAM, ELSA Geforce 2 GTS w/ one year old ELSA drivers.Thanks for any hints!

Assuming that the lack of water texture is not a hardware problem, try setting youself up over water and pause the simulator.Textures can take up to a couple of minutes to update, so just wait in pause mode and see if the textures eventually appear. Be patient, it could take a while.

John

Hi,You said you had installed some freeware scenery before the problem started. It might be that this add-on scenery is excluding the default scenery also on sea areas around it (that if the problem only happens in specific areas), or also it could be that the, when installing the addon, the default water textures were overwritten (in case the problem is happening all over the FS world).If the problem is only local, you can try disabling any addon scenery and see if the problem persists; if the problem is global, you can try to look for the add-on installation files and check if there are any textures there that also exist in the FS installation CD's (that can be a difficult task), then restore the default textures by copying them back from the CD's.Paco

Thanks for the replys.What I did -- I reinstalled FS2002 from scratch, and I though it would make the problem disappear, it actually didnt. Replacing the drafult anim water textures with the OceanFX ones didnt work either -- always the same generic textures.Installed right now scenery-wise is German Airports 2 and the german terrain mesh, both which should not touch the hawaiian scenery at all where the problem is evident.Hmm, and waiting for the textures to appear was to no avail as well.I am thinking about deleting the registry entries manually or even reinstalling windows, but thats quite a task... It actually worked for some time! Thats kind of crazy, isn't it? :)

I have a similar problem in that the surf crashing onto the beaches is just white rectangles where at one time it looked very realistic.I asked in this forum and got a response from someone who had same problem.He said only solution was to reformat my hd and start over.It worked for him,but I am just going to put up with it and wait for FS2004.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Hi,Be sure your in your graphics option :-Multi Texturing is Enabled.-Terrain Texture Details is Enabled-Details & Reflection or only Details Enabled (Slider)-Water Animation appears below 900 feet.If you desable ONLY ONE option of these, you will NOT have Water Animation.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

"-Terrain Texture Details is Enabled"This one catches me two times lolAlpha xxxxxxxxxx