Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matthias1975

747 : will this be changed??

Guest Matthias1975

Wow...congrats PMDG, the screenshot looks promising as always. But one thing that annoyed me from the beginning was this thing in the middle of the front window (sorry, I

Well it's shaped correctly as seen here http://www.airliners.net/open.file/736060/L/ But maybe he meant the way it appears like *banding* as per the lighting? I am sure this looks different according to the time of day. Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

It may be just perspective which makes the window post look large. Matthais.I'll double check the measurement of the post. The MCP is 2&7/8" high, so when I get the measurement of the pillar, you can compare it.However, even if it is the correct size, it might be necessary to narrow it a little for added visibility and aesthetics.Cheers.Ian.

Guest flight78

Hey people ! i have noticed another thing which i think looks alittle bit to big on the 744 :(http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/101146.jpgIf you compare it to shots on airliners.net its not that thick :( its very obvious when u look on the JAL pic on the pmdg site. Don

Guest Matthias1975

Thanks Ian,that

>> But maybe he meant the way it appears like *banding* as per>the lighting? Yea, I don't know why I keep seeing this "banding" so many years after FLY! product which if I recall never had this banding problem.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Not sure what you mean by "thick", Alex? The profile, camber, fore-aft length?Don't forget that the 744 Stabilizer is flat on the top and curved underneath for negative lift. With the stab leading edge up, the profile may appear to be fatter than it really is. Also, the dark shading underneath may make it look larger.Cheers.Ian.

Guest Thomas K

The center pillar looks fine. It's too small, if anything. The real one is about as wide as the center CRT/LCD. Narrowing it would only make it look less than realistic, IMO-- like the PSS one.Thomas

Hey Michael, I believe the issue is creating the panels in 16 bit when fs is displaying 8 bit, so in the originals it looks great. This was also an issue with the first editions of the 737. It is most notable on SHADING AREAS with color. This also happens when you REDUCE the color to save on total file size BUT can be *hand* fixed, takes a lot of work though to break the bands appearing.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

"The center pillar looks fine. It's too small, if anything. The real one is about as wide as the center CRT/LCD."Almost....The CRT's are 8" (square) and I measured the centrepost at about 6.5" wide (today). However, this is not really what the pilot sees. He looks at the post at an angle (if he's looking sideways at the post).The (sort of) triangular shape of the centrepost makes the obstruction to the view (at an angle) less than what it would be directly from the front. No doubt it is deliberately shaped like this.Also, parts of the centrepost (base) are 24"~29" away from the front face of the MCP. Twice as far away as the CRT's. Don't forget that perspective makes things smaller. Here's a shot taken from the exact point the pilot's head should be, looking towards the post.http://members.ozemail.com.au/~b744er/CenterPost.jpgOf course, sacrifices have to be made when you are simulating a cockpit in 2D. The real pilot sits really far forward and he probably wouldn't even see the post (other than out of the corner of his eye) if he was looking straight ahead (When I tried to take a photo with the camera pointing straight ahead, the centerpost was not even in the frame.... even though I was using a semi-wide angle zoom setting).Hope this makes sense.Cheers.Ian.