Sign in to follow this  
Guest takki113

To all you real life pilots...

Guest takki113

Hey, Im currently a Junior in highschool about to be a senior next year. And I LOVE airplanes, and my goal is to become an airline pilot. But im not sure how to go about and do that, like what to do after H/S. And it would help if any airline pilots will tell me how you got to where you are etc. Ant

Guest neeraj.pendse

Where are you located? My first and foremost advice to you would be to get a bachelor's degree: you can go to one of the programs where a "dual Pilot Training + Bachelors in Science" course offered, or you can just get a major in Aeronautical Science or Engineering etc. To get a complimentary major will increase your uniqueness. To get a degree is important also because if you some how were not able to get all the way to ATP, then you have a decent job to fall back on.There's much to learn and I suggest you write in one of the "Real Aviation" forums instead of a forum that has a specific focus like this one ...Good Luck,- Neeraj.

Guest FattyBear

>Hey, Im currently a Junior in highschool about to be a senior>next year. And I LOVE airplanes, and my goal is to become an>airline pilot. But im not sure how to go about and do that,>like what to do after H/S. And it would help if any airline>pilots will tell me how you got to where you are etc. >>AntFirst and foremost, get good grades. Plan for the future, but focus on the present. Having good grades and SAT scores opens up more options to you and will better prepare you to work hard in college. Speaking of options, there are many out there. I personally like www.flightinfo.com, its a good message board and you can ask 12 hour students or 25,000 retired pilots what their advice is.Also be prepared for a reality check before you dive into the pool. Getting to the airlines in this economic climate is difficult and can be pretty tough. First year F/Os at regionals make less than cab drivers and bad management plagues many airlines.

Guest takki113

WOW, that is all they make? yea i guess I do got to do a reality check. But im prepared to start out making pretty much nothing at all, I love it so much that money won't get in the way. Unless its completely unresonable. But thank you for all the information and I will def. check out that site.

Check out: www.jetcareers.com1st Thing: Get a degree, but in something not related to aviation..It will help you.2nd Thing: Go to a community college (airlines don't care if it's a degree from Purdue, ERAU or your local community college...a degree is a degree to them), start flight training at a local FBO..you'll save tons of money. Get your CFI/CFII/MEI/MEII, and start building time by instructing before you can be hired by a regional.Reality Check: You won't have a CHANCE being hired by a major before you at least get a lot of turbine and multi time. Your best bet is going to fly for a regional and build time for a major then.

Dan Charles
Dash 8 Q200/Q300 PIC

Guest ZOTAN

Have you ever actually flown a plane, or has it all been in FS? If not, take an introductory flight at your local airport and see if you really do like flying in real life. Its alot different doing the actual thing than sitting at your desk with a joystick.If this is something you really want to do though, be prepared for a rude awakening when you become a pilot. Before you can even touch a regional jet, you have to have hundreds of hours which can take years to build up. Its really expensive to become a pilot (unless you go through the military) and it will be a while before you ever see a return on your investment. Right now, pilots will spend years in regional airlines making less than 50 grand a year. Starting off, you will make about 18,000 a year. Jetblue and Southwest currently have about 10,000 applicants on hand.If you love to fly though, there isnt a better job out there. You are basically being paid for something you love to do; this is something very few people have the chance to experience.Check out this site:www.airlinepilotcentral.comThey have payscales for most of the North American airlines, and some foreign ones also. They have forums, but they mostly talk about what airlines are hiring right now. One guy just got hired by UPS. He will probably have a great career, but he has been in the pool since 2001.

Guest takki113

Yes, I have flown before i have takin flying lessons and camps since I was 7 and now am currently working on my private pilots liscense which i should have by the end of august 05'. I know it is hard to be hired, but when you say your friend was in the "pool" what do you mean? Like is there a draft pool or somthing?

Guest Daniel Pimentel

It means he was looking for a job since 2001, as far as I understand it. To be quite honest with you, I'd STRONGLY consider getting a degree in something else. The industry's saturated, lots of pilots losing their jobs... It's an unstable time for aviation. Keep working on it, but don't focus entirely on it because you want to have something to fall back on. I know a few pilots (and people whose relatives are pilots), and many of them aren't happy at all with their jobs at this time, and they don't recommend that anyone jumps into the career at this time.And most importantly, RESEARCH. A LOT. For example, you didn't know how low the starting salary was? Well, check the salaries, check working conditions, check anything and everything. Nothing would suck more than going into a field and then coming to the realization that it's not what you expected. And although it's never too late to change your mind, you waste time. So study the profession, ask pilots about their jobs... You'll find more than one who isn't too happy about it these days. If you don't mind, I'd suggest you check and see, and really, you can pursue aviation as a hobby. Working on it would be sweet (we all wanted to be airline pilots at some point, I am sure), but the way things are looking the industry won't be exactly expanding for a good while. I wanted to be a pilot too at one time, then a computer engineer... Between the aviation industry declining and outsourcing, both of my big passions went down the drain. But I'm studying photojournalism, which I love as well. :)Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

Come to Metropolitan State College of Denver! :) www.mscd.eduWe have a spectacular aviation program here! Im currently a Sophomore, and a full time student paying around $1200 a semester!www.mscd.edu/~aviationEnjoy!

Guest captaingrice

Hello,I had the absolute pleasure of meeting former Concorde Pilot, Captain (Dr) Jock Lowe when he attended a ceremony at the University of Birmingham, UK, where he was awarded on honouree D.Univ (Doctor of the University). I asked him the very same question,

Guest takki113

Yea I am comming to the conclusion that a degree is the best way to go, does it matter if its a 2 year or a 4 year? and does it have to be in somthing related to aeronautics. or could it be like a buisness degree or accounting etc.

Business degree would be great too. And with the business degree you could one day run an airline ..By the way there are many ways to get to the cockpit. 747 captain Alan Carter featured on the Virgin Atlantic DVD has no degree apart from his aviation/flying training. But with a degree I think you are better protected against market's vagaries. There is a very moving article in Private Pilot mag written by a pilot who has been furloughed with little prospect of being recalled anytime soon. Some of his friends leave the profession for good. By the time you are an adult the current poor prospects for pilots may change. If the trend for VLJ (Very Light Jets) materialize there will be huge need for pilots. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Michael J.

Guest Knikolaes

I have one answer for you from my end . . . . BEFORE you live life and get bad credit (like all Americans seem to do **sniff**) check out Delta Connection Academy in Orlando, Florida.19 months for full ATP certification with 800 hours logged and guarenteed interview with Delta Airlines.http://www.deltaconnectionacademy.com/Hope that helps.<> I forgot to mentyion, also do listen to the others about a degree. The school I listed has a coop with other universities in the area for getting a degree as well. Research that, as a degree is by far VERY VERY important in getting in the airline industry at all. Even becoming a flight attendant you cannot do unless you get a degree first.

Guest Jeff_DCA

>By the way there are many ways to get to the cockpit. 747>captain Alan Carter featured on the Virgin Atlantic DVD has no>degree apart from his aviation/flying training.Pilot recruitment is quite different in the UK, the vast majority of pilots i know, both fully qualified airline pilots and those in training, or about to start training don't have degrees, myself included. It is however very different in the US, as this thread has shown. :-)Cheers,Jeff