Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paragon

The MD-11

Guest Paragon

I just finished watching the ITVV dvd of the Martinair MD-11, and I must say that I'm impressed. I never knew that it was such an advanced airplane, I would recommend this dvd to anyone interested in the MD-11 for sure...now I'm really looking forward to the MD-11.How does it compare to other planes with regards to the level of automization and such?-Mikkel

Mikkel,I totally agree with you. I somehow thought the MD-11 was a rather outdated airplane but indeed it seems very much automated and fresh. This is very apparent in the video and I actually think this video is even more educating than the ITTV 744 Virgin Atlantic one. I also have the Boeing 767 and Airbus 330 videos from ITTV and they are also masterpieces and highly recommended!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest MidnightMike

Some people are quite surprised that the MD11 cockpit is actually quite modern, in fact, some of my MD11 Instructors had to get trained on the 737NG and were quite surprised how far back in time they had to go....

I too watched that DVD, it is a great one with the captain explaining pretty much everything. It was very cool.

Guest D17S

Notice the latest gen 747-400 and the 777 still have the autothrottle 'arm' switch. I saw a picture of the 787s proposed cockpit. It finally looks like the AT function is fully integrated with the AFS. Finally. But guess what? The MD11's AT function is fully integrated. There's just one big autoflight button. It appears to me as if boeing hasn't flown the plane yet that is even equal to the AFS system on the MD11. The 787, still in late design, is just now catching up to the MD11's techology. When the MD11 is released, I believe we'll see that if the MD11 is a full Gen 2 AFS, the 747-400 is at best, a gen 1.75. It's that good and I imagine the PMDG version will be too. I can't wait.But it's not just the AFS. You know how the 747 guys are always having mess with fuel scheduling (tank>engine stuff). The fuel system is fully automated . . . actually IMO, it's overdone. I've got these things at work and I won't go near em. Did you know that if you are sitting on the ground playing around with the FMC's CG settings, you can dump the plane on it's tail? How so, you ask? The fuel system will autoactivate (or some such nonsense) and refuel the stabalizer fuel tank. If you are sitting in the cockpit your only warning will be . . . none . . . and over you'll go. (Just try to crawl out of there before the boss shows up!) Note to the PMDG devs. Pleaseeee make sure that's modeled in. Active Camera can handle the 'crawling out' part.

There are indeed many features that 747-400 pilots only can dream about.Sam pointed out some good examples, but there are even more worth mentioning...- Integrated CWS (optional though)- Automated System Controllers for Fuel, HYD, Pneumatics and ELEC. On normal operations you barely have to touch those. But if you want to do so, just switch the desired system to a manuam mode.- Remember the EICAS messages? This airplane goes some steps further: For each failing system you have all the consequences displayed on the SD. Lets say you loose one HYD system, then you'd get all the information on what is still working and what not nicely presented on the SD.- and much moreSo we can only hope some of Douglas' advanced technology will make it into the 787...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Markus-During my trip to the MD11 sim with Bill- I was impressed by two things:1) Fuel dump was a 1 button affair. No dialing, calculating and hoping that you got the math right while managing the emergency. Just reach up, push, and move on to the next mental task.....2) The Consequences page you mentioned. Really good stuff. Certainly reduces the memory recall load during an emergency- or even a minor failure... I joked with Bill that a few of my FO's could have benefited from a "Consequences" message after meeting a few of our F/As..... (cough)I gotta say I didn't enjoy LSAS tho.... I'm sure like anything else, you get used to it and come to see it's benefits- but I found it was causing me to rock the wings quite a bit- and I was having trouble finding a "groove" for roll control without minor over controling....Perhaps some more time in the sim would fix that......Yeah- actually..... hey BIIIILLLLLLLL???????????? Time for another sim validation visit!Watch for some announcements on MD11 progress in the coming few days.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

"such a shame that KLM throws out their MD-11's within a couple of years..."They intend to replace them at/about 2012. ;-)Cheers,John

And Finnair, which I think was the first airliner to start using the MD-11 in 1990, will have replaced its eight MD-11's with Airbus 350 and Airbus A340-300E by 2012. :(

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Robert,I've met quite a few of your flight attendants. I understand the Consequences comment :-) Hope you had a great Christmas!!Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

Guest Senior Captain

Patiently waiting and looking forward to the MD-11.

Guest D17S

I know an MD11 flight crew initial/recurrent trainer at Long Beach that's lookin' forward to gettin a look at this too. If the MD11 sim is accurate enough, there a consideration that the Long Beach trainees could load this up on their laptops and take it home at night. Of course everything would have gigantic 'For Reference Only' stickers . . . but I've pretty well got him convinced the 747 is that good.