Sign in to follow this  
Ralgh

American Airlines getting winglets on all 737s

We just announced we are getting winglets for all 77 of our 737s. We have one flying around with winglets as a test plane. I guess the test is complete because we are doing them all. Now is there a chance someone will do a repaint of an American jet with winglets? Please.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

There's been a PMDG 737-800 with winglets for American Airlines around for a while now. I'm sure it's here on AVSIM.

Dave Paige

Sure enough there it is. I only searched the PMDG site.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Hello, Tom:I am just curious what primary objective AA is targeting with the lower vortex drag.1. Extending range (longer legs).2. Fuel Economy3. All of the above :).

I would say the number one reason is fuel economy. Continental has calimed that they can pay off the winglet installation in just six months with the money saved on fuel. There is talk of sending the 737s deeper south out of Miami so extended range might be another reason. We already fly them coast to coast domesticly so they don't need the range here. We originally ordered winglets for 20 757s to do some trans Atlantinc flying and part of the deal was to put them on one 737 for free. That one has been flying around since late October. I haven't flown that one yet. From what I hear the fuel savings had been better than expected. I have no idea how long it will take to convert the rest of the planes though.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg