Sign in to follow this  
lostmoon

Engine Start Sounds

Following Robert Randazzo's reply to perceived cockpit sounds, I agree with PMDG's decision to add clicking noises, adding the illusion of tactile movement in a simulator; and indeed one cannot infer that sounds are inaccurate simply because of repeated DVD viewing/analysing.Fantastic sounds nontheless. One hopes that engine start-up spooling sounds can once again be heard (during EGT indication). As of now, those sounds are inaudible completely. I've re-installed v.1.01 without success. It was there before, I am certain.I am still a big fan of your team, so please do not take this follow up as a pejorative response.TomN.B.: Any relation to a long-lost friend of mine in Staten Island, Nick Randazzo?

You have to be careful with analysing sounds from watching DVDs. The sound that a human being sat in the cockpit of a 747 is going to be alot different from that recorded by a microphone, as the microphone is able to pick up all sorts of sounds that a human might filter out.I can remeber watching an episode of Cops, and when they were in the car, you could hear all manor of noises - plastic creaking, things clicking etc. I certainly do not have the same experience when driving in my car.

I read Roberts post with great interest its always good to hear it from the source rather than numerous opinions about sound realism. My 2 cents are that I have stated before that i think the sounds on the 747 are amazing as they currently stand. The only issue i ever had was with a crackling of the sound, which the 400F update fixed, much to my enjoyment :) Regarding engine startup i can hear the engines spool up upon startup and im 100% happy with the sounds especially on the 400F, it really was a great improvement over what was already a great soundset. I dont happen to have any knowledge of engine or cockpit sounds, in fact ive only ever been on a 747-400 once as a passenger so im no expert. Having a semi decent soundcard and speaker system i love going full throttle with a fully packed 744 on a long runway, gotta love that roar!! :)

Engine start-up is pretty much inaudible on a 747 flightdeck. I've been fortunate enough to have had a jump seat ride on a 747 from start up to shutdown. IMHO, PMDG have done a very good job on the cockpit sounds, especially at takeoff power, though I feel the clicking (while necessary for feedback) is a little overdone.My only issue with sound was that the control movement noises (flap lever for example) were audible in the external views. I'm not sure whether this was resolved with the 747F (I haven't got round to checking it yet).Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Gents,Engine start up is indeed audible as I've sat jumpseat on several 74's on PAL, and also on your numerous 744 DVDs. Especially when EGT is indicated, it is clear from the flight deck that engines have ignited. This sound is not present on the current PMDG 744, even on the -F, which is concurred by other users, and a beta team member. This issue (last I checked) has been acknowledged by PMDG referring to a beta team's response to an earlier query.Paul of Dublin, happy to know you hear what you hear and your happiness. Your perception of accurate EGT ignition sound is however, not accurate. This is another story. Ignorance is bliss.I am very happy with the bird, save for what I've stated in the former post, which they are fixing already. So, moot.Tomas

Interesting discussion re sound. Just a general observation I'd like to make. Capt Randazzo is right of course there's no way in life to contest those that do this for a living - period :)The only question in my mind since way back when sounds were first an issue has been this:Most 2d panels are 'compromised' so that some displays/gauges can fit on the screen - it's just hardware imposed limits that have to be accomodated. In the same way - once a soundset is produced and all acknowledged experts agree that it's generally spot on - are any compromises necessary?I do not have the F-updated sounds but much as I did not want to I had to modify the wind sound of v1.1 pax because I simply could not hear fs9 ATC even with ATC slider at max volume. Not a criticism of the reality of the sounds, but a necessary compromise I had to make on MY setup.I look forward to the updated sounds whenever they're available, and may just cave in and buy the F anyway :), as I did with the pax - much to my delight btw - can't wait for tomorrow - 5000nm trip all planned and ready to go :)regards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

>Your perception of accurate EGT ignition sound is>however, not accurate. This is another story. Ignorance is>bliss.first off i never stated or perceived that the EGT ignition sound was not accurate and secondly im not ignorant i just happened to say that i liked the sounds in its current format. Whatever updates are released to enhance the soundset then great :)

c'mon... you've never been ignorant, not even once? :)anyway, didn't mean to offend. just wanted to posit it in a way that makes people aware that although you may be happy with the current sound set, as Robert says, there is always room for perfection! :) tomas

whoops double post!seems my posts could do with some perfecting :)

me ignorant? never! :( there is always room for perfection at PMDG! no pressure on the boys! :)

Gents-In need of perfecting: Aren't we all? hahahah.....re: engine starts sounds- this is something we are addressing in the coming sound update. (Sound update will work in both 400 only and 400/400F installations... no worries...)The updated start sound actually missed the 400F production release for reasons that I'm not entirely sure of. Just goes to show when you decide to model something complex- sometimes really dumb stuff goes unnoticed.It sounds like we are getting closer to a completed update for the sound package- but no release date for it yet- I'll keep you posted.Sound good?("sounds like?" "Sounds good?" Come on...that was funny....)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Sound...GOOD! Hmmm.. FRIEND. (Referencing the original frankenstein):) Very punny, Captain.There, you see Paul von Dublin? It still can be more amazing than you perceived. :)Mr Randazzo, thanks for the allaying response. I think we can put this topic to bed once and for all.Tommaso