Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrants

PMDG 737 Questions.

Guest mrants

Hello all.Just some questions about PMDG 737-700.Q1: Can you switch the Display Units around? e.g., Captain, F/O, lower display, upper display, etc.Q2: Does the aircraft have a Head-Up Display? (HUP)Q3: Does the screen in the center consol work?Q4: Is Ice Protection modeled? In other words, when flying in icing conditions with Ice Protection off, will the plain ice over or the wings lose lift?Thank you very much.Tony.

Q1 - switching displays.They are set displays unlike Fighter jet MFD's which can be swapped about.(They can on the 747, but even then only within certain limits.)Don't worry the data you need is always at hand. EDIT: There are switches for changing the displays around in the 737 but they are not active.Q2 - HUD.Nope. You don't get these outside military jets. None of the big jets do Airbus or Boeing.Q3 - Center consoleYep, it is the EICAS screen. used for Engine data and warning messages etc. EDIT: there are two buttons just above the upper center screen that turn on the lower one to the ENGine or SYStems pages.Q4 - IceingThe Anti ICe systems are there and functional so I believe so.Havn't tested that though. Must give it a go :)From your questions it seems like you are asking about F-16 type systems. the 737 may not be an F-16, but it is everyway as complex in it's own way. And the PMDG planes are modelled as accurately as they can get. They come with a whole bunch of PDF manuals that rival Falcon 4's manual for thickness.

Guest wayupthere

>Q2 - HUD.>Nope. You don't get these outside military jets. None of the>big jets do Airbus or Boeing.Well, they DO although not modeled by pmdg. They are fitted on the C40, and even SAS has them in the fleet on the -600

Guest mrants

Thanks for replying.I can

Alaskan Air was the first US carrier to use HUD years ago... it allows them to depart under lower minima rules. Very important to them at SEATAC and Juno, for example. OBTW, they are going to have new RNP approaches soon at Juno. Something else PMDG doesn't model.

Dan Downs KCRP

Greetings all,Not to sound ignorant, but what exactly are the "upper/lower" units?I'm looking at the control panel of the 737/800 right now, and see the display on the left side (the one with the altitude/airspeed/artificial horizon, etc) and a display in the center (with a big compass). On top of them are 2 knobs which I can never get to work, "main panel DU's" and "lower DU" The lower DU shows INOP, but I can't figure out how to use the main panel one. I've tried left-clicking near the knobs, to the left and right of it, and even on the words "Main panel", in case it works like the "Mins" and "Baro" knobs. I have the 737-600/700/800/900, and as far as I know the above applies to all of the aircraft. I know you can change the way the displays appear by changing certain parameters in the "PMDG/Styles" section, but how do I get the upper/lower to work? Many thanks,Ron

Those knobs are eye-candly only and are not modelled by PMDG.

Dan Downs KCRP

Right in the center there are two displays.One on the main panel (the Upper one), and one on the Console by the FMC's (the Lower one). These ae best seen in the VC.Just above the Upper one are two buttons ENG and SYS that switch displays on the lower screen. Or at least they do on mine. I do have the 800/900 as well as the 600/700, so may be part of the systems added with the 800/900 package.

Stuntie,This brings up another problem. For some reason, when I load the planes and choose the VC option, I'm getting the 2D cockpit. I admit I havent used the VC cockpit a lot as I began using the 2D version from the beginning and was comfortable with it. But I used to at least see the VC effects. Now, I get nothing except 2D no matter what I do. I dont have any of the add-ons that I believe are needed to scroll to the cabin (active camera, etc), but I also didnt have it earlier when I was able to view the cockpit in VC.Any clues???Ron