Sign in to follow this  
Guest vsafuto

The last DC-10 flight for Northwest

Guest vsafuto

It's interesting that while we're waiting for PMDG to finish the MD-11, the basis of the MD-11, the DC-10, will soon have its last flight for Northwest. I saw it on the news wires at work that on Monday, the last Northwest DC-10 flight will land, and then they become history. Those old tri-jets are becoming so rare, though I guess FedEx and some foreign airlines still use the MD-11. But you hardly ever see 727s any more, and L-1011s are just about gone. A few years ago, Delta retired the last L-1011. I took a flight in 1999 in an L-1011 from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta, and in 2000 took one from Atlanta to Salt Lake City.

Nameless-Please sign your posts here in accordance with our forum guidelines- thanks. ;-) (You can read them at the top of the forum.)The MD11 is still in wide use. That I know of there aren't many sitting idle- as FedEx and UPS are competing to convert every spare MD11 that they can find. As for DC10s- FedEx has been snapping those up for years- and even launched a program to convert them to MD10s (DC10s with same cockpit and operating requirements as MD11s) I do not know firsthand if that process is ongoing...I've always been a fan of the DC10. It was a common airplane in the transcon market when I was growing up- and we had a huge batch of them at UAL before they were phased out by 777s and 767-300 purchases...The 747-400, in spite of her size- has always struck me as a magnificent lady. The DC-10/MD-11 with that straight stacked center engine: Definitely a Man's Airplane. :-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I flew an AA DC-10 about 12 yrs ago from DFW to HNL. It was a nice flying airplane. Nice wide cabin and very smooth. I feel kind of lucky I got to fly on one! Joe

I meant flew ON. I didn't actually fly it myself,unfortunately. Joe

Guest vsafuto

Sorry. I forgot the rules. It's been a while since I posted here.Vincent F. Safuto

Took a road trip down to Alabama over New Years from Chicago... Went right past SDF louisville, row after row of UPS airplanes of course. What impresses me most is the incredible pitch on takeoff the DC-10/MD-11 are capable of. Truly an awsome airplane... although living not 5 miles from the threshold of 14R at ORD, im a little greatfull for new age jet technology. Growing up I can remember fearing for my windows shattering, good ole Pratt engines. Only plane that still leaves quite a rumble is the non-stop Mad dogs that plauge O'Hare... hahaRegards,

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

>>took a flight in 1999 in an L-1011 from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta, and in 2000 took one from Atlanta to Salt Lake City<

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Joe-Funny you mention the MD80. This morning I was in town running some errands and heard a godawful racket roaring over head. In my "airplane identification" frame- I looked up expecting to see a 727-200 in fedex colors...It was an AAL MD80. That surprised me as I didn't realize they were quite that noisy...American has nearly 400 of them.... That is astounding.You can pick them up cheap from the used market- only about $1.5-$4M depending on engine times. Anyone want to chip in? I'll drive!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I flew on a old Northwest DC-10 from Miniappolis (sp?) to Honolulu and back in 2002. Not the most comfortable flight I've ever been on. Not so sorry to see it go. Then again, I've been stuck in the middle-isle, middle-seat, all the way back (no reclining) on a DAL 767 from Paris to Atlanta. Yea, that was worse, LOL...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Robert, I'll chip in for that, as long as I can drive every now and then. :)