Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alias

Transpolar routing

Guest Alias

Hi,I have read some posts over here regarding the possibility to perform transpolar trips in FSX, but I haven't a precise idea about, I mean are they possible or not? Provided they are possible where can I find flight plans? I guess FSBuild and Navigator will not help with this issue.ThanksLorenzo

Guest Scousefox9

Lorenzo, I just completed one today as it happens on VATSIM; BIKF to PABR via the North Pole. It was possible... Only once I crossed the Pole the Aircraft went absolutely insane for the best part of 100NM away where the magenta route track kept changing direction like winds in FSX real world weather! I tried manually turning to go back on course but when LNAV engaged, it wanted to turn the aircraft away with a 30 degree bank, towards what I have no idea. I noticed only the L IRS was working near the area but whether that was a contributing factor I don't know, it's the first time I've experienced that.In short, I was tempted to declare an emergency, whether because I was stranded above a piece of ice at 36,000ft or because my aircraft almost went inverted when I accidentally clicked the wrong spot on the wrong window and the Aileron Left Wing Down button was adjusted resulting in a 2000ft loss in altitude, I didn't quite decide which.You should try it... If you can accidentally sabotage your aircraft at the same time I guarantee you'll have fun! I hope my other World Tour legs are more... standard...

Guest Alias

Good to know Liam:-) So how did you manage to arrive safely if LNav was puzzled? Let me guess...you followed the magenta line "manually" using the HDG? I'm pretty curious about. Also can you please provide me full flight plan? Or where can I find it? I know Active Sky X is providing strong wind shifts although they released a new patch. I'm planning to buy FSUIPC to see if it can help smoothing as this indeed is a problem.Wait for your comments.RegardsLorenzo

"I noticed only the L IRS was working near the area but whether that was a contributing factor I don't know, it's the first time I've experienced that."Noting here that this is the way it is supposed to work in real life ;) The displays switch to onside IRU's (Left IRU for Captain.. and, in theory, Right IRU for F/O). Note that radio updating is "washed out" when flying over the poles, so perhaps you will get mapshift.If there are aircraft routes which fly directly over the exact (True)North pole, I would be very surprised. They would be tempting fate even in real life.Cheers.Q> Шфт

Isn't there a True/Magnetic switch just below the MCP? It was my impression that this switch is used in the near-polar navigation to aleviate issues such as describe here. It's been a few years now since I actually RTFM. LOL... I haven't had the oportunity to try it yet but it does sound tempting. Try switching to "True" when the magenta line gets wacked and let us know how it works out.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest gregsh00

Some of us have seen this problem before.See this forum thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...42059&mode=fullI flew a heading when the track shifting started to stop the constant heading change.I can only assume that the track shifting is due to the incorrect calculation of a track to/from N90 that causes the problem. N90 & S90 are special cases. I'm curious if a track to N89.9 would be stable. Might try that sometime.Cheers,Greg Smith

"Isn't there a True/Magnetic switch just below the MCP? It was my impression that this switch is used in the near-polar navigation to aleviate issues such as describe here."Not sure if it would help. AFAIK, this switch should only change the displays (it won't affect navigation). Actually, normal (IRS-based) navigation is always based on true navigation (However, the displays are modified to show MAGnetic using a magvar table in the IRU's and FMC's. There is no compass/Magnetic Heading Reference System on the 744, other than the "whiskey compass").Cheers.Q> イアン

"No .. magnetic system"... Really? It's just surprise, not disbelief. I just assume that since flux sensors work so well they would have those just like most aircraft do.The light twins I fly typically have flux sensor(s) for the HSI, which is then slaved to either VOR/LOC or GPS. The GPS has uses a look up table or algorithm for variance. So it's not a stretch to do away with the flux sensors... just never thought about it I guess.Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

"I just assume that since flux sensors work so well they would have those just like most aircraft do."Hmmm... as long as they are not near buildings, metallic objects (such as blast fences), etc.... and flux sensors don't work too well during long/steep turns, hence the need for a gyro system anyway (at least on the Classic 747).Non-flux sensor aircraft go way back to the introduction of the 767 (at least).Cheers.Q> Ян

>The light twins I fly typically have flux sensor(s) for the>HSI, which is then slaved to either VOR/LOC or GPS.Oh great! Next we're gonna have flux capacitors too, right?LOL :-bla

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

"Oh great! Next we're gonna have flux capacitors too, right?"Beam me up, Scottie :(:-spacecraft

Guest Alias

Thanks everybody for the nice information very appreciated, however can anyone reply to my original post and tell me where to find flight plans over pole please?Thanks Lorenzo

Guest Peter Lloyd

LorenzoI used Superflight planner to do several transpolars on flights Santiago-Perth and Perth - Capetown. Just avoid going further than 85deg North or South to avoid hitting the 'edge of the world', and yes, the TRUE/MAG swith does make a difference.Superflightplanner ir pretty good at generating great circle routes.Enjoy and all the best for 2008.Peter Lloyd

Guest kame

Dear Lorenzo,Although a few times, I have really frown over either of the poles with PMDG 747-400X of following routes on the FMC:1) YPPH(RW21) - MJM - S90/E116 - SOM - GAL - SAWG(RW25)2) CYMX(RW06, SID: CYMX6) - UFX - N90/W073 - ZBK - KMNB - ZBAA(RW18R, STAR: KM12A) Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Guest Alias

Kan-ichiro,thank you very much for sharing routings with me.Peter,thanks for the plan generator program. And wish you Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too.Lorenzo