Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

awais1407

Manual take-off and climb (747)

Hi guys,I was unsure when I am performing manual take-offs and climbs should the auto throttle be switched off?Or can I leave it on and let the VNAV mode control the aircraft's speed automatically while I just concentrate on the hand flying.Regards,Awais Muzaffar

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Awais,As you might know the take-off procedure is ALWAYS flown manually up until the minimum height where AP engagement is allowed. So if you decide to continue flying manually you may just do so and leave AT and VNAV the way they are (ON).Hope this helps?Markus

Yes I am aware that the aircraft is flown manually until the minimum height for AP engagement.I was unsure about the rest of the climb procedure, I think I read somewhere that if you are in manual control then it is best to be in control of speed as well.RegardsAwais Muzaffar

Let the A/T set climb power, you'll be controlling airspeed with pitch. This delegates the watching N1 and temps to the automatics and you get to do the flying.Edit: Ha ha... can't mention turbine inlet temperature - the forum software turns it into ###.

Hey Awais,As everyone else has said it's best to leave it on after take off even when hand flying. All the SOP's I have come across for the 747 recommend disconnecting it if hand flying the approach.Rob

Thanks for the information guys.Yeh, I always disconnect the A/T on manual landing...Regards,Awais Muzaffar

What you might have heard is about the landing. Some Airlines require you to switch A/T off whenever AP is off, others say you MUST use A/T whenever it is available and capable of the situation, and again others leave the decision to the pilots...Regards,Markus