Sign in to follow this  
captdini

A Long Beach love affair!

I have been flying the MD-11 for the past several weeks and wanted to share my impressions with you. I come from a solid Boeing back-ground, frequent forum visitors will no doubt recollect my passionate love affair with the fat girl. That has not changed- she will always be my favorite. What has changed, completly, is my attitude towards this new girl in town.For those of you flying the 400X, you had better cinch your reel harnesses in extra tight. The gang at PMDG has done their homework! The MD-11 performs incredibly well under FSX. So much so, that for the first time since FSX was released, I find myself flying it every day- that speaks volumes!Pete has done a fantastic job on the repaints (esp. the fictitional BA livery that allowed for my involvement in the project, without large doese of anti-inflamatory ointments ;) ).Dr. V's flight model is superb! PROF (VNAV for the Boeing crowd) has developed into a powerfully accurate tool- one of the RW MD-11 pilots on our team marveled about its ability to descend and decellerate at the same time- he's right- that PROF girl is a far better pilot than this ham-handed one!The MD-11 started out as a Douglas creation. As such, she is typical of the Long Beach offings- solid, massive, industrial- exuding a sense of reassuring stolidness. She was then turned into the Electric Swan by the geniuses at Boeing- the automatic systems are hugely sophisticated. Running through manual "take-overs" gives the pilot a huge understanding of the importance of the flight engineer in past days! It is amazingly simple and incredibly complex- all on the same flight deck!The FMC is a completly different animal (I keep wishing Bill Bulfer had MD-11 time)! An amalgamation between Boeing and Airbus throught processes- she is a species of her own. Once my initial bewilderment was replaced with an understanding of how the pages worked, I began manipulating the aeroplane in earnest. It was a long few weeks, chewing over the manuals and trying to digest their hundreds of pages- but one evening, while whispering in over Maho Beach, after hand flying the CDAP (that LSAS is a thing of beauty) to minimums, I caught myself enchanted!I suppose that's the crux of the matter- she's different than a traditional Boeing, but I sure am going!Stay tuned for Chapter 2 with a few piccies- coming soon from a MD-11 afficianado (shhhhhhh- no one tell VX- pleeeeeeeease!) Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Very interesting. I look forward to more of this. I've been waiting for an MD-11 since Bill Grabowski started work on the idea after finishing the ERJ-145 - or at least I think that's how it started for me ;-)Regrettably I'm one of those people who just can't get FSX to really work and so will wait patiently for the FS9 version. I must confess to being extremely jealous of the FSX crowd ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

....somewhere in the 1,400 odd pages of documentation is a very thorough walk-around (excellent addition) so let's start there. She is a Douglas aeroplane, all girders, rivets and stout metal. No where is that more obvious than the forward canted nose gear and that enormous rear end! Mechanical and industrial- I shall repeat those words often. FSX is very good at visuals, specular lighting, mip bumping and a whole lot of other technical terms this clod can't quite understand- but the end result is fantastic! The aeroplane looks very 3D- the sheen on the fuselage has to be seen to be believed, and the tail is a work of art- you catch yourself inspecting the vertical panel rivet lines critically, before you laugh nervously and look around to see if anyone actually saw you! The roundness of the fuselage is glorious.I can't imagine how Bill G, Michael F, Markus B, Dr. V, RSR and the other core members are feeling- their baby flies- spectacularly! Spend some time looking at the wingtips- traditional winglets yes, inverse tips as well- yes! The lighting has been demonstrated on You-Tube but must be seen in Manchester fog to be fully appreciated. Winking beacons, audacious strobes (learn to call them high-intensity lights), 4 retractible landing lights, nose gear taxi and landing lights (that gloriously illuminate the forward fueslage), turn off lights and that incredible set of logos- all combine to make you squint tightly in the darkest hours of midnight, as she turns off the active, right in front of you, those gigantic flaps just begining to creep inwards.Walking onto the flight deck is a non-Boeing, very Boeing experience. I fly only 3D- but for the first time found myself exploring the 2D environment. Very well placed- with a WIDE-SCREEN option in the Load Manager- the new mouse functions and new symbology make for a superb experience. In the 2D cockpit, you are as well oriented as in the 3D, and everything falls to hand in an intuitive, expected way. That said, the 3D cockpit is where I spend my time, and where the modeling in FSX leaps off the flat screen and comes alive. I almost put a pencil on the Captain's (left) lighting console- it's that vividly modeled. Eye-points are RW appropriate- and verified and you can almost feel the inertial reels tighten.Reach up, uncover the guard and depress the battery switch- a whole new world awaits!Piccies soon- I promise! Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I hunt and peck on an old Underwood- so this MCDU began cloaked in gobbledygook. At least she has an INIT page (actually 3). That's where it all begins- depress the Right LSK beside INITIALIZE IRS* and it begins. The route is entered EGLL/WSSS on the same line, the ALTN below. Enter the Flight Number (they all start BA don't they ;) )The FLs (up to 6 total for steps) are entered, separated by slashes and the FL TEMPS can be manually entered or defaulted. Enter the CI (I've been using 200- thanks CB!) and you are done with Page 1!Page 2 has your WEIGHT INIT- here's where a flight disptach sheet would come in handy! Your guy took a Union day off- not to worry. Just RIGHT click on the RSKs beside the boxes and it places the correct values for you in the scratch-pad- ingenious. You will need to capture 2 CGs on this page TO and ZFW CGs- hmmmmmmmm, or you could have jotted them down while you were in the LM. Your RSV (in percentages possible!) and ALTN fuel and BALLAST fuel are verified here as well.Page 3 allows refueling quantities to be selected (yes, you can actually re-fuel through the MCDU FS-SHORTCUTS menu item on a turn-around) and provides Fuel Type and freeze temps as well as time to dump to MLW.Let's explore ACT-FPLAN (and don't forget there's a SEC F-PLAN page as well! Your ACTive Flight PLAN page is where you meet the Holy Trinity- NAV, PROF and A/T. Together, they will guide you to your destiny (or maybe just your destination). The FMC is very clever, and looks for Flight Plans in various locations, so that if you have one that you created or received- it will populate the LEGS (no legs page BTW- just ACT-FPLAN). It is even smart enough to select based on chosen ALTN! Ok so you loaded your ACT-PLAN- time to get busy with those LSK RKSs. Forget the APP/DEP page- not there! Instead, think on LAT REVs and VERT REVs. LATeral REVisions tell (L)NAV where to go so selecting the DEP would involve the LEFT LSK whick would bring up the LAT REV page that allows for the STAR insertion.Incidentally, there is no DISCO box- you get a line that says F-PLAN DISCONTINUITY- that's where you put your next WP. Should it be a DISCO only, you can delete that with the CLR button- no DELete key either.All (L)NAV revisions occur on the LAT-REV pages that are found by pressing the Left Lelect Key beside the waypoint. All VERT-REVisions are done my pressing the Right Select Key beside the same waypoint line. Here's where that darn default SPD/REST hides! BTW you cannot just delete the restriction- you must alter it to something that works. So in the case of the WOBUN 2F from EGLL, where Lon CTR says, "Cancel Speed Restriction" you must VERT-REV and change the default 250/10000 to something like 330/10000. Another difference- no EXEC key- instead as soon as you *INSERT you are executed :)! No simply up-selecting the cleared direct WP to LSK1- now you select the DIR INTC key, choose the WP, select *ABEAM POINTS and *INSERT- presto- Mr. NAV knows where to go next!This next bit will sound strange, but, I think of my Fat Girl's FMC as a ballerina nudging her gently along the flight path with finesse while I think of the MD-11's FMC as Herr. Nav and Herr. PROF- dogmatically and methodically demanding Tuetonic precision from the machine! Yes, I see my therapist soon!Piccies soon- promise!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Zounds- the sounds are immersive, captivating and (apparently) spot on. After hundreds of hours with a tape and reel and a Neumann microphone (or maybe just a digital sampling device) the PMDG MD-11 sounds like a Boeing MD-11- or so I'm told!The first time I felt/heard the nose gear touch down, I swore it was about 15' behind and below me- uncanny! The air-noise is different (a testament to the B747s inefficient windshield angle- but we all know that's the only thing inefficient about my fat girl), the engines different (here I confess I have spent way more time with the Pratts than the GEs because the BA version was done in PW).Even the key presses on the MCDU sound different- and WAY MORE MULTI-DIMENSIONAL- you can almost feel the key depressing (maybe its me that's depressed ;0) ).Just wait till you hear the APU whine to life- a deafening screetch of white noise that drowns you when doing your walk around. Incidentally that APU Start Switch is mainly used for shutting down- just select APU GEN and Otto knows that its impossible to provide GEN Power without the APU so he starts it for you!The TESTS are numerous and voluminous! From the INS, to the ENG/APU FIRE, to the ANNUNCiators and AIR SYS, CARGO FIRE, VOICE RECORDER, HYDraulics, FUEL, GPWS, T/O Warning and O2 tests (No more making those psssssssssssssht, psssssssssssht sounds Trevor)- they are all modeled and AUDIBLE!The whine of the Pratts on initial power up before AUTO-FLIGHT engagement and T/O CLAMP has to be heard to be believed. Combine that with the rumble and the thump thump thump until you move over from the center line lighting (ok, I exaggerate) and there is an NON-CHOSEN SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF.Piccies soon- promise!Now.............can we re-engine with RG-211s? (just kidding)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192571.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192572.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192573.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192574.jpg

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192575.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192576.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192577.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192578.jpg

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest pilot-joey

Incredible, or should I say Mr. Incredible :(!? Thanks for this nice story sort of and keep the pics coming man!!

Thanks Joey- stay tuned!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

>She was then turned>into the Electric Swan by the geniuses at Boeing- Carl great post!Boeing didn't buy out McDonnell-Douglas until 1997. This would make the MD-11 a solely McDonnell-Douglas creation, yes?To the best of my knowledge, after the takeover, Boeing left the production line open until 2000 and then ended the program. But no development was done under Boeing.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The first delivery went to Finnair 1990. You're right, she is a Long Beach creation. Boeing did a freighter conversion, but I think the primary asset that Boeing was interested in was the McDonnell military business, and maybe what is now the 717. I only know what I read. Nice article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD-11

Dan Downs KCRP

A great article indeed Dan, I stand corrected- sorry! Will post additional piccies later this evening- hope you all are enjoying the postings?Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I'm a DC-10 pilot. I only recognize the gear handle and gear indicator lights. :DI hope it is not too complex for me, too big of a leap from the DC-10-30.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB