Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kosa

My Frankenstein PIC in FS9....:)

Guest Kosa

Hi all, I am a long time lurker of this forum, and as a self confessed PIC Head, I have resourced enormous amounts of Info here. While I have always managed to bite my tongue when the more controversial and repetitive questions arise, on the question of getting PIC to work in FS9 however, I find I am unable to remain silent. Innovation and the desire to improve the status quo is one of the better human traits. It confounds me why some Members, some of whom, in my own silent way, I have a lot of respect for, continue to sledge those that have decided to push the envelope by trying to get PIC functional within FS9 while waiting for PIC2. The reality is, for every upload of a useful Mod or Documentation, there are countless PIC Heads out there with all sorts of self made goodies, that they don

I for one have always enjoyed reading about other enthusiasts' work on PIC and other products. It is the same spirit that led to PIC in the first place and to many of the mods and merges we all enjoy. The discouraging remarks of a few serve no interests at all. Thank you for sharing your ideas with us!

>I for one have always enjoyed reading about other>enthusiasts' work on PIC and other products. It is the same>spirit that led to PIC in the first place and to many of the>mods and merges we all enjoy. The discouraging remarks of a>few serve no interests at all. Thank you for sharing your>ideas with us!>FERD! How come I can understand (and agree with) what you wrote this time? :) How are your neighbors, Frank and Fanny Farkle, and their kids, Mark and Sparkle Farkle, and the twins, Simon and Gar Farkle? ;)

BobK

Guest Matthias1975

@ Kosa :Wow...all I have to say! Your panelperspectiv looks great. Good job you have done so far. Would it be possible to have this panelperspective working in FS2002 also? I would love have this one.It looks so much more like sitting in the Captains seat. Nothing against the original one, but after two years I like to see something new.Please tell me where I can get you merge or your panel. I would like to use it with FS2002!!Thank you!RegardsMatthias

Guest Kosa

G'day MatthiasThankyou. The primary reason I started meddling with the PIC panel over a year ago now was because I didn't like the perspective. Perspective seems to be the short coming so many otherwise great panels. IMHO.To answer your question about FS2002, the Panel is essential the PIC panel with a different BMP. So naturally it is right at home in FS2002.Because I had never intended to make public any of my work, I have not taken record of few freeware designer whose work I have taken from. Once I sort out those whom deserve credit, with their permission I will make available my Original FS2002 Panel to anyone that is interested.Worth noting though, this panel requires a large monitor. I have a 19" monitor and would suggest that anything smaller is unsuitable.Best RegardsKosa

Hey Kosa,I was waiting for something like this for PIC767 panel.. Captain's seat view.. OMG it's brilliant!!Oh yes now I can't sleep tonight!

Guest Matthias1975

@ Kosa :Hi,No Problem for me regarding the screensize. I have 21" one so I think it must fit! ;-)That would be great, so

Guest ACA856_at_work3

I suppose I would be classified as one of the PIC767 "purists"...I personally can not stomach significantly altering the authors' work, bar some minor stuff like a taxi light switch or a POSKY external model, and TCAS. IF I was the author, I would likely take some offence to people tinkering with my work, then boasting their distortions of my work on a forum that I oversee. That's just me, nothing personal, nor do I mean to imply I speak for the author in any way. When I see the PIC altered, I admit it bothers me in some way. I suppose because I love it so much, it pains me to see it significantly changed...and when I say significantly changed I am referring to it's heart, the AIR/CFG files (among other things) which would necessarilty need to be altered to function close to the numbers in FS9. There are some other distasteful "solutions" to PIC in FS9 which have resulted in the title "FrankenPIC", a scary movie indeed. I will say that the panel pictures above are far superior to others I have seen, but the simple fact that it is not a "factory" modification bothers me in my lower gut. It's like that new Honda Civic driven by a teenager with the whale exhaust and underfloor neon lights on it...I just end up shaking my head. Now if he went on to the Honda web site and promoted his altered product...well, you can just imagine.I have some good freinds who are using the FS9 work around and I hold no grudge nor do I judge them. I simply feel the PIC767 Version 2 is worth waiting for and I will use it only if the author feels it is ready.My 2.5 cents worth.Rob.

Guest Matthias1975

Rob,but you must admit that the panelperspectiv done by Kosa looks much more better and more real than the original one. No offence against that but I like the pilots perspective more!

Guest Murf

Well said Rob.The original author of this thread has obviously put a lot of effort into making the modified PIC panel look better in FS9. I enjoy FS9 and I sure wish that PIC767 had been compatible, however, it is not. PIC767 has survived very well through 2 versions of flight sim, but it simply does not work as intended in FS9.Aside from the visual problems associated to the panel, the well modeled PIC767 systems (electrical/hydraulic) do not function properly in FS9. Also the flight dynamics are off as compared to FS2002/2000. While I have no real world pilot experience I have read many reviews by people with real world experience who praised the realism of the PIC767 flight dynamics.No doubt there are a number of users who are willing to accept these sacrifices for the ability to use PIC767 with FS9. However, there are a number of us purists (for the want of a better word), who are not willing to suffer the loss of the original realism of the PIC767 product and are quite willing to wait for the new release.

Rob,I agree with Matthias about panel perspective. I think it's about the feel of viewing here. I like pilot's view perspective but I don't like Randy's landing panels which Tero adores.. No offence to Randy or Tero here, I just don't feel comfortable with it. If they are happy with it, I'm happy for them. And PIC developers happy too, I think they like the people having more fun with their edits, because they don't shouting around " use it as is, no mods! no edits! "Original PIC panel is between pilot's view and maximum instrument visibility, as they wrote it on manuals. I'm very happy with orginal panel but we have BIG monitors, I've a 19" Sony and god knows what's the model of Matthias's 21". So we can have more feeling of to be there, sitting on pilot seat, why waste it?

Guest captbulldog

I like it. I want one! How does she fly ?

Guest 767Peter

Great, want one too. Waiting for PIC 2 will be much easier having your Mod.Thanks & best rgdsPeter

Guest captbulldog

cmon man you're leaving me hangin. I want one!

Guest Kosa

Hi again AllJust letting you know, that I have just uploaded to AVSIM the Work-around tutorial for the Original PIC panel. It should be available soon in the FS2004 Misc. Section. This tutorial does not contain my modified panel but has everything you need to get the gauges working in FS2004 on the Original PIC Panel, including light maps. See attached screenhots. I wonder just how many will try it when they read what is involved :)Now about my Modified Panel (Captains View). I will be releasing it very soon, I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of freeware designers whose gauges I have integrated into my panel. Please bare with me as it is only right that I should seek their permission before releasing the Panel with their gauges. I will release it in a FS2002 version (what it was really meant for), and a FS2004 version.A point of clarification. Over the last few days I have received dozens of emails, in fact 62 and counting. Most of you have been very supportive and encourageing (and impatient lol) but some of you I fear may have gotten the wrong impression. I do not have a magic cure for PIC that will make it work perfectly in FS2004, that is way beyond my capabilities. What I do have is a work-around that will get the vector gauges functional without affecting the Asthetics of the panel. There is alot more to it if you want to get PIC to fly in FS2004 as it does in Fs2002 and I have no intention of dwelving into the mystical realms of Air and Cfg Files. You are on your own in this respect. My Air and Cfg files are a carry over from FS2002 where I did my own modification for a PICPOSKY merge and now they are even more modified for FS2004, I can almost hear the Purists cringe lol, but they serve my purpose and they serve it well. Best RegardsKosahttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/57860.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/57861.jpg