Sign in to follow this  

Whats the fuss about gMax?

I just want to know why do everyone keep begging for gmax stuff. If the model is FSDS they just throw it away. I've seen users not downloading aircraft just because of it not being gMax. So, can anyone list a big list of pros & cons of gMax & FSDS please? :)

http://www.jet-precision.com/JPLOGO.jpgZhe Xu Leewww.jet-precision.com

Gmax Aircraft display correctly in Fs2002 And FSDS do not so if you want AI aircraft to display correctly you need Gmax or the ANimated parts will be Missing on the AI Aircraft like Gear and FansHope this HelpsAnniette xxxxxxxxxx

Anniette,I don't want to get in trouble with the picture police on this forum, but I wanted to tell you about your great Pan Am B727-200 repaint flying into/from KSFB on a regular basis as AI. Thanks for this repaint and all the others you did!!!:* Bill xoxoxoxo!!!

GMax offers greater flexibility in animation than what can be accomplished in FSDS. The texturing aspect of GMax is greater than FSDS. And as Anniette stated, GMax designed aircraft are better suited for AI aircraft than those designed in FSDS.Some designers complain about the complexity of Gmax, once mastered though it far out weighs the capacity of FSDS. Others will beg to differ.

Gmax supports reflective textures and light maps too.

Guest Lionel Goh

One thing about the Con of gmax.. is poor animation.The animation is not as smooth as compared to FSDS A/c.Simple Example is the POSKY 767 v2 and v3.Lionel Goh

It rolls of the tounge better then fsds..!George

>One thing about the Con of gmax.. is poor animation. >The animation is not as smooth as compared to FSDS A/c. >Simple Example is the POSKY 767 v2 and v3. It can be as smooth as the creator wishes to make it, provided they develop their own keyframe sequence, and not rely on the defaults provided via makemdl.exe

>I just want to know why do everyone keep begging for gmax >stuff. If the model is FSDS they just throw it away. I've >seen users not downloading aircraft just because of it not >being gMax. So, can anyone list a big list of pros & cons of >gMax & FSDS please? :) Not a list but something not mentioned before, speed. Gmax objects are processed about twice as efficient as older style scenery/aircraft.Also it is the new standard and it almost seems inevitable that the old FS2000 style of scenery will now longer be supported in FS2004. The new format is shared between aircraft, scenery and just about anything you see in FS.Combined with all the new features in shading, mipmapping etc, it is strange that it is not used more often in scenery design. It clearly is superior at this moment.Mathijs KokLAGO

>Combined with all the new features in shading, mipmapping >etc, it is strange that it is not used more often in scenery >design. It clearly is superior at this moment.I certainly agree....mipmapping ,nightlighting etc

Guest tcable

THe complexity of Gmax is realted to the fact that it is essentially 3dstudio. I admittedly am not a 3d modeler, but I'm abnout to embark on doing my first airport upgrade (KPVD, if you are interested) We'll see how detailed it looks :)Tim

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, But wait till FSDS II comes out..... It will feature the lightmap, reflections and also animation all built in. Also it will STILL be easyier for most people to use.As for the statements that a Gmax plane is easier on framerates than a FSDS one I beg to differ a little bit. It's the number of polygons, vertices and number of textures that the plane has that makes the biggest difference. Look at a pre Gmax POSKY plane (not dissing their work at all) 40+ side parts and 25 or so, large 32 bit textures. it's a signifigant frame hit. BUT I also have the POSKY GMax 767 and it also hits on my frames due to it's large poly count. I bought the 421 Eagle (very well made) but I can't fly it because it's such a frame hog... and it's Gmax. Some of it is my video card but I definitly have the processor horsepower (Athlon 1.7).True, FSDS planes will have no moving gear as AI.... For the moment, but when the update comes out that will change. and you can still use an FSDS or AF99 plane as AI....that is if it's a fixed gear plane. I Have Fred banting's Beavers running around my sim as AI and that plane was made with AF99!!Many designers think that because GMax is more effecient, they can throw in more polys to a part or make it even more complex, therefore negating the efficency of a GMax model over an FSDS one.This is all my personal opinion but many designers put in complexity for complexity's sake. Thats why I like Mike Stone's work so much, High quality low poly count aircraft.I try to keep my models as simple as possible as well. This keeps frame rates very friendly.I too am appalled at people who totaly disregard a plane made with FSDS just because it's made with FSDS...... You may not know what you are missing.These statement's are my opinion and are not meant to flame any one designer or group in any way. I just used them as an example. I have a few POSKY birds on my hard drive and I still have the 421 there too.Thanks for letting me rantBrian Gladden"Friends don't let friends use GMax" <-- Dave Eckert

I guess the fuss is another word for.. ahem... progress ?? ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

While GMAX is great, I still like FSDS alot.There's something about the models that is more realistic, even without the reflections. Maybe because FSDS was made for FS, while GMAX was made for many other games (I've used it to create levels in Unreal Tournament). But, the GMAX models from PA, Simubuild, POSKY, etc. have taken that "FSDS feeling" & captured it in their gmax models. Alot of it has to do with a good texture artist, too.