Hi All, :-waveI am in the processs of upgrading my PC and would like your opinions on what is the best processor to use for FS...Pentium or AMD....I have been using the AMD900 and have experienced regular lockups mainly with the PSS airbus..Opinions please...Many thanksDK

Intel makes better CPUs overall. AMD might be cheaper, and maybe offer more megahertzes per Euro/Dollar/your currency here, but as you have experienced they tend to be less stable.AMD also runs hotter (part of the reason they're less stable) which means they don't last as long. While maybe not important to you, if you plan to use the machine for several years after it's no longer your main computer (maybe as a fileserver or for the wife/kids/girlfriend/parents) it can be important.As to performance, Intel CPUs offer somewhat better performance overall for a given published speed (maybe not with all programs, but on average. For FS the difference is supposed to be minimal but slightly in favour of Intel), especially with the current line (there was a period last year when AMD was a bit faster on average but no more.

I ran AMD CPU's for a while, I had a 1600+, 1700+ and 2000+ I am now running an Intel P4. AMD provide good performance for MSFS and they're pretty cheap, but they do run pretty hot and they're fragile.If you're looking to make your choice on best bang for your buck, stick with AMD, you can't go wrong.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

You can't beat an AMD for a gaming/simming system. As long as you get the right cooling fan. I have been running AMD's for the last few years and just upgraded to an AMD XP2200+ chip. The system is running without a hitch for 30 days, the FS2002 is unbeleivably smooth. I bought the MB and CPU for under $300. Thats less than 1/2 what I would have spent on a similar P4 setup.http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S

I am running a P4 (a measly 1300) - never had any problems with it. I tend to steer away from AMD due to the heat issues they seem to have, most people I know that have them tend to leave the sides off the cases so they can cool !!!!

I don't know where you guys get the Intel P4s are more stable than AMD's Athlon. Can you list sources? I can list at least two reputable sources that do not support your contention. Those sources are Tomshardware.com and Anandtech.com, possibly the best sources for hardware information on the web.It is true that Athlons run hotter, but with a good heat sink and cooling fan, you should be ok. Neither the Athlon nor the P4 can run without them. It is true, however, that right now, Intel has the performance lead with its 2.4 and 2.53 processors which run using a 533 front and side bus and 1060 RDRAM. However, they cost 100% more for a mere 10% increase in performance. RDRAM is twice as expensive than DDR SDRAM too. Other than a few months when Intel briefly took the lead by adding some more L1 cache memory to its P3s before the AMD Thunderbirds were released, it has taken Intel almost three years to get the performance lead back using most programs. Check it out yourself and find me at least one source that disputes what I am saying.When AMD released the Athlon core three years ago, it beat the existing Intel P3s hands down. For the vast majority of the time since then, AMD has taken the lead.Do what I am doing and wait for the AMD to relase the K8 Hammer core which should happen in December. According to a source obtained from Anandtech.com, the first release of the Hammer should be a processor running at 2.6G which would be +3.4G in terms of current Intel performance. We are not just talking an incremental increase in performance as is usually done by adding more cache or clockspeed to existing cores. We are talking about a new core. The K8 core will be the next big jump for AMD and it will be at least another 3 years before another, more advanced core from AMD will be released.All Intel will be able to do for the next couple of years is to shrink the Px core, add cache, and increse clockspeed to their existing core to increase performance. And, Intel will be doing so just to follow behind the AMD K8 core. If you buy either a current Athlon or P4 right now, you will be sorry you did.Rob

Since this is my first AMD after many years of Intel, I have NO complaints at all. This system has been as stable as any, and I don't leave case sides off,etc. Been running this for eight months now, and experienced seldom lockups (three). Will run the PSS Airbus problem free also. L.AdamsonAthlon 1900XPGeforce3Ti500512DDRram

>I don't know where you guys get the Intel P4s are more >stable than AMD's Athlon. Can you list sources? I can list >at least two reputable sources that do not support your >contention. Those sources are Tomshardware.com and >Anandtech.com, possibly the best sources for hardware >information on the web. >>It is true that Athlons run hotter, but with a good heat >sink and cooling fan, you should be ok. Neither the Athlon >nor the P4 can run without them. My experience with the Athlon has been much better than I ever expected. I had heard all the "unstable" horror stories myself and stayed away from AMD. When I purchased this system eight months ago, it was because it had the most power avaiable at the time, especially considering cost. I havn't regretted the decision at all, because this system has performed as well as any of my best Intel systems have. Any of my future computer purchases will probably be based on computing power, rather than "false" horror stories!BTW---- My last two systems, AMD and Intel have been assembled by a very reputable and local computer company that seems to have a "knack" of building problem free systems.L.AdamsonAthlon 1900XPGeforce3Ti500512DDRram

either one would be a good choice. just remember to get the most out of the intel you must get RDRAMto get the most out of AMD get the fasted DDR ram. I think RDRAM is more expensive right now. as for stability I've never had a problem. I think most lock ups are caused by operating systems and bad drivers. I think most software is built for intel and therefore will run better on intel. but at the speeds those chips running it would be hard to tell which one is faster. To be honest, i would get either system, AMD if i was worried about money, INTEL if i needed the fasted machine ever (this month). you might want to think about it this way, if you get an AMD, you can spend more on a video card , a nice sound card, more PSS stuff, etci hope this helps,mark

What? I am running an Athlon system and after leaving it running several hours can take the sides off and hold my hand to the heatsink without problems and only at the very bottom of the heatsink where it touches the chip itself is it very warm to mildy mildly hot. A 60 watt light bulb is much hotter to the touch. Again, missinformation abounds.

Guest georgi55

Get right Mabo and you wont have problem with AMD. I got Retail Althon XP 1700+ anf FIC AN11 Mabo for $130 US.Overclocked it to 1964+ and its been tunning with 0 lock up for last 2 months, and I run it 24/7.Georgi

I have been running an AMD XP1800+ ever since they were released here in the UK and it has been mounted on 4 motherboards with the same heatsink/fan without any instability problems.I was thinking on upgrading to the XP2200+ but there doesnt seem to be that much of a performance increase compared to my current CPU. Im definately gonna buy the "Hammer" when it comes out ;-)B

Guest SD Sim

I thought I would try to further dispel the bizzare myths regarding Athon stability. I run three computers, two Athlon XP1800+s, and one P4/1.5 GHz. They all run fine without lock-ups. The only difference is that the AMD based computers run louder - this is necessary to keep the CPUs cool enough when taxed. But if you keep them cool enough, they run trouble-free.

Hey Rob...there is nothing wrong with AMD Procs, but in my opinion, and that of many others, their "edge" over Intel is gone. Intel has overtaken AMD with raw speed. I can also attest that a good I850 Mobo is as stable a system as you've seen, and I've seen lots.Intel has the edge now, in my opinion. I don't know if AMD can hang on. I don't know if anyone can hang on, when you think Intel just laid off another large group.In the end, when you get down to it..."its all good". PC's are growing at an amazing pace. These are amazing times!Best,bt